Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Miami Excuse Thread

Old 01-04-03, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Miami Excuse Thread

This thread should be suitable for the Miami excuses as to why they didn't win the national championship.

Let me get thy started:

1. We didn't bring our A game. (Ain't that a bitch... OSU did.)

2. That was a ******** pass interference call. (Weird. I thought arms wrapped around a guy before the ball got to him might be PI. I'm probably wrong. We still win.)

3. OSU was lucky. No one should win if they're lucky. After all, no one makes their own luck. Without luck, Miami would have won.

And a special shout out to those who made the following observations... (enjoy your national championship trophies!):

"how perfect that OSU should win on a lucky call after the luck that sutstained them the entire season."

"lucky for OSU that headcase Clarret isn't around to say something embarrassing on national TV "

"Just horrible, horrible football."

"OSU...you don't deserve this. Period. I don't give a crap what you say. You won because of gutless refereeing, giving in to the whining of a reciever and the crowd."

....(my personal favorite, and a victory for EVERYONE) "If Ohio State beats Miami, I'll never post again on DVD Talk. That's how sure I am that OSU doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of beating Miami."

Now on to the Miami excuses...

Last edited by Sockmonkey; 01-04-03 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-04-03, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you really need to start another thread? Apparently, there's more than just sore losers.

das
Old 01-04-03, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The sun was in our eyes.
Old 01-04-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Did you really need to start another thread? Apparently, there's more than just sore losers.

das
I certainly do. Sore winner? Whatever. I'll put it in the excuse list.

I watched numerous people in numerous threads for the past month give the Bucks no credit - over and over and over... I pretty much kept my mouth shut.

Guess who's turn it is now?
Old 01-04-03, 09:52 AM
Banned

We gotta fire Coker. It's all Coker's fault.

Adding:I'm gonna hunt down and those refs.That was a sh*tty call.

Last edited by Amadeus; 01-04-03 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-04-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm a completely unbiased party. I don't like or hate either team.

Miami got completely hosed on the pass interference call. Its not that it COULDN'T have been called, but the Miami defender had adjusted to the calls of the refs, who had let physical play go all night long.

An OSU receiver clearly pushed off on a late catch, no call. There was contact between recievers and D-Backs all night, and I don't remember seeing any other pass interference calls.

Officials have to call the game consistently. In this case they did not.
Old 01-04-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Miami Excuse #5 - we were building up a 48 hour pie
Old 01-04-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Sockmonkey

I watched numerous people in numerous threads for the past month give the Bucks no credit - over and over and over... I pretty much kept my mouth shut.
I guess so. Did Ohio State deserve a lot of credit? Look how they were winning. They barely beat Cincinnati, Purdue, and Illinois and you expect people to give them praise. They stepped up and won the national championship so why not enjoy it.
Old 01-04-03, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally posted by k-qwick
We gotta fire Coker. It's all Coker's fault.

Adding:I'm gonna hunt down and those refs.That was a sh*tty call.

I am an impartial observer, as I don't particularly like or dislike either team. In all honesty, there were some bad calls against Miami, but there were also some bad calls against OSU. I didn't see any unbelievably unfair calls. So quit your bitching. OSU won because of the Miami turnovers -- its as simple as that.
Old 01-04-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes there were bad calls on both sides. But there was only 1 call that cost a team that National Title. I'll let you figure that one out.
Old 01-04-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Way to win with class

This, for the record, is exactly the reason I was rooting for Miami (though don't really care for either team). Even though Miami was the champ, it felt like OSU fans were the ones talking the most **** and being the most classless.

That said, regardless how the fans behave, OSU won the game, and that's all that matters.
Old 01-04-03, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Bushdog
Way to win with class

This, for the record, is exactly the reason I was rooting for Miami (though don't really care for either team). Even though Miami was the champ, it felt like OSU fans were the ones talking the most **** and being the most classless.

That said, regardless how the fans behave, OSU won the game, and that's all that matters.
Old 01-04-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bushdog
Way to win with class

Of course that's the way it felt. Had I been rooting for Miami, it would've felt that way to me too.

It's also pretty funny that I waited for my team to prove themselves before celebrating or talking smack, and you consider it classless... but all the Miami fans talking crap before the game was just fine!

The most classy thing I've seen here are the people that have admitted they were wrong about the Buckeyes. Are you in that group, B'dog? If not, then you're one of those that this thread is for.
Old 01-04-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk God

waiting till after the game to talk smack could also be a sign of insecurity
given the circumstances, that would be expected
Old 01-04-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
waiting till after the game to talk smack could also be a sign of insecurity
given the circumstances, that would be expected

I guess I can't win, eh?

I'll check with you and B'dog next time to get the official "classy" and correct way to do something.

Unless, of course, I happen to be in agreement with you guys... then I'll just follow your lead, k?
Old 01-04-03, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by matta
I am an impartial observer, as I don't particularly like or dislike either team. In all honesty, there were some bad calls against Miami, but there were also some bad calls against OSU. I didn't see any unbelievably unfair calls. So quit your bitching. OSU won because of the Miami turnovers -- its as simple as that.
Okay i'll give you that one Miami's turnovers really killed them,but it was the call that screwed them.It was a crappy call and it shouldn't of been called.It was inomplete and Miami should of won the game.That call made the biggest difference in the game.Because of that Miami lost.God Damn Refs.So quit your bitching.Miami loss because of an unfair call--its as simple as that.
Old 01-04-03, 12:14 PM
Banned

Okay i'll give you that one Miami's turnovers really killed them,but it was the call that screwed them.It was a crappy call and it shouldn't of been called.It was inomplete and Miami should of won the game.That call made the biggest difference in the game.Because of that Miami lost.God Damn Refs.So quit your bitching.Miami loss because of an unfair call--its as simple as that.
Not really. On the replay, it looked to me that there was a good reason for a call. If they had replay, I doubt the call would have been overturned. Regardless, there were a few earlier calls and no-calls against OSU that killed promising drives, and in once case, cancelled a TD.

I'm not bitching. You are. I couldn't care less if Miami should have won.
Old 01-04-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sockmonkey, I wasn't entirely clear. I don't consider your post classy. THat's where I stopped talking about you directly.

OSU fans I know (not you) were talking all sorts of **** before the game. That's what I was referring to.
Old 01-04-03, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by matta
Not really. On the replay, it looked to me that there was a good reason for a call. If they had replay, I doubt the call would have been overturned. Regardless, there were a few earlier calls and no-calls against OSU that killed promising drives, and in once case, cancelled a TD.

I'm not bitching. You are. I couldn't care less if Miami should have won.
I'm not bitching.I'm saying the truth.The guy from Miami didn't interfer with the receiver.There was a ref right in front of the play and he called it pass interference.You gotta be kidding me.So OSU had a couple bad penaltys called on them early in the game.Well this was overtime and it was a play that could of decided the game.The refs screwed up big time.I wonder how much they were paid?
Old 01-04-03, 12:25 PM
Cool New Member

Again an unbiased fan's opinion.

Miami did get screwed on the pass interference call. That call would have been questionable at any time in the game but on a 4th down (last play of the game) that should have never been called. Officials usually let just about anything go on the last play and this is one case where they made a really bad call. And another thing that hasn't been talked about is that the official closest to the play didnt throw the flag. An official came across the field to call it. So that seems screwy too.

But OSU fans enjoy the win (I'm not trying to take anything away from your win by the way).
Old 01-04-03, 12:27 PM

I'm not bitching.I'm saying the truth.The guy from Miami didn't interfer with the receiver.There was a ref right in front of the play and he called it pass interference.You gotta be kidding me.So OSU had a couple bad penaltys called on them early in the game.Well this was overtime and it was a play that could of decided the game.The refs screwed up big time.I wonder how much they were paid?
Early in the game? Maybe you missed the end of the 4th quarter right before the final OSU punt. One of the most blatant defensive holding calls went unflagged. Besides that the receiver caught the ball yet it was ruled incomplete. They make that first down and who knows, Miami might not even kick the tying field goal. Point is there were bad calls both ways that had impact. Miami choked. Thats the facts.
Old 01-04-03, 12:34 PM
Moderator Emeritus

"College football is a joke. You mean we were supposed to take this **** seriously? 98% of college football is incomplete pass, incomplete pass, incomplete pass, punt, repeat. I'm just here for an education and to **** cheerleaders."
Old 01-04-03, 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Pharoh
Early in the game? Maybe you missed the end of the 4th quarter right before the final OSU punt. One of the most blatant defensive holding calls went unflagged. Besides that the receiver caught the ball yet it was ruled incomplete. They make that first down and who knows, Miami might not even kick the tying field goal. Point is there were bad calls both ways that had impact. Miami choked. Thats the facts.
No.Miami did not choke,they were screwed.End of story.
Old 01-04-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so k-qwick....what about the fact that Miami got the same call in their favor in the next overtime, had 1st and goal from the 2, and didn't score? THAT is why they lost, not because of the refs.....
Old 01-04-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The pass interference call was questionable, but you can't make the call that ends the game in that situation. It's not like that call gave OSU the game. They still had to get in the end zone. Miami got the same position on an even more questionable call in the 2nd OT and failed to get in. There was contact, but I didn't see a ladder or a trampoline in the end zone, so there was no way Johnson was catching that ball.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.