Robert Edwards RB Miami 14 votes
Drew Bledsoe QB Buffao 5 votes
Jamal Lewis RB Baltimore 2 votes
Rodney Peete QB Carolina 1 vote
Edgerrin James RB Indianapolis 1 vote
Fred Taylor RB Jacksonville 1 vote
Old 01-03-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

IMO Jamal Lewis deserves more than 2 votes. The guy only had 1300+ yards after an injury that's supposed to take 2 years to fully come back from.
Old 01-03-03, 07:53 PM
Banned

Blah. Robert Edwards should have won hands down.
Old 01-03-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

XFL represent!
Old 01-04-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Although Robert Edwards story and comeback is more amazing than pretty much anything in the sport, I think they mae the right choice by going with Maddux simply because of production. Being a comeback player involves both a comeback and production. And Maddux's production outweighed Edwards'.

And how did James get a vote. I mean he's maybe my favorite NFLer, but he played like crap this year. Jamal Lewis came abck from the same injury and on a crappier team and did so much better.

Fred Taylor gets a vote for simply not getting hurt, which is pretty lame. And Rodney Peete gets a vote somehow. I suppose he came back, but don't you actually have to make an impact. Peete sucked. How anyone could vote for these guys over Lewis, Edwards, or Maddox is beyond me.
Old 01-04-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But Maddux still isn't a good QB. He looked good in shortened spurts, but he is not a good QB.

Edwards, by all rights and purposes, should've had his leg amputated 3 years ago. The fact that he was on the field for even one play this year makes him the comeback player of the year.

(besides, to be a comeback player, didn't you have to be good once? Maddux was never good, unless you count the LA Xtreme)
Old 01-04-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The fact that Edwards came back at all should give it to him.
Old 01-06-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree with WildcatLH. To win Comeback Player of The Year, it's implied that you were once good, then had some problems, then became good again. What had Tommy Maddux ever done prior to this season? Granted he's been a very good player this year, but he hasn't "come back" from anything.
Old 01-06-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bralph
I agree with WildcatLH. To win Comeback Player of The Year, it's implied that you were once good, then had some problems, then became good again. What had Tommy Maddux ever done prior to this season? Granted he's been a very good player this year, but he hasn't "come back" from anything.
I think comeback implies you just came back from something. For most player it's an injury, but in Maddox's case he was in the league, then was out of it for several years, and then cameback to the league. That seems to meet the criteria.

But for the player who was good, had problems, and then was good again. The only player I can think of that really fits that list is Jamal Lewis.