Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else love NFL but loathe college football?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-01-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love watching NFL more than any other sport. I could even get interested in a game between Houston and Detroit, for example. But I am just bored senseless by college football. I've been trying to watch some of the bowl games but my brain just kind of goes to sleep after about twenty minutes. I'll still try to watch the Ohio St.-Miami game, but even then I'll probably become bored quickly. Anyone else feel the same way? Everything about it, the pace of the game, the announcers even, is just dull to me.

With basketball, I can get into college even more than NBA, though.
Old 01-01-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Im the other way around
I love college.. but dont care much for pro football
just not the same excitement and support IMHO
although this subject has been covered thoroughly many times in here
Old 01-01-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk God

No but I do like the NFL a lot more than college football.

Now for basketball, I love the college game but loathe the pro 'game.'

Obviously, if you went to a big-time football school (or grew up in a state like Nebraska, Oklahoma, or Alabama where there are no pro teams) you are more likely to like the college game more.

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-01-03 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-01-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the NFL any team can beat another team,in college its not like this,thats why you prolly can watch two cup cakes play each other in the NFL unlike college,if college had a playoff system you would prolly change your mind IMO bowls are terrible for college football because we never know who the true champion is like we do in the NFL,college could be as good but there has to be changes.
Old 01-01-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it's all about atmosphere.

and the atmosphere at a college game is soooo much more exciting than the atmosphere at a pro game.
Old 01-01-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RoyalTea
it's all about atmosphere.

and the atmosphere at a college game is soooo much more exciting than the atmosphere at a pro game.
In my (limited) experience, it's been exactly the opposite. I've been to a couple college games, and found it exciting at first, but eventually I just couldn't wait for the game to get over. On the other hand, I went to the Patriots-Titans Monday night football game on Dec. 16, and the place was just electric. I was into every play, and enjoyed every second of it.
Old 01-01-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting. I like the NFL, but it can't compare to a really good college matchup. It probably does have something to do with where you grew up. I think the expanse is even wider for basketball... I HATE pro basketball, but love the NCAA tourny.
Old 01-01-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love College football better than NFL. The Rivarly game is much more exciting game I have ever seen.
Old 01-01-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My Preference

I Love College Football!!,
Loathe thee NFL!!,
Love the NBA!!,
College B-Ball Sucks!!
Old 01-01-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love the NFL, but nothing compares to the college experience. Tailgating and parades on campus all day, watching your classmates play in a game, fight songs, mascot wars, parties all night if you win, friends from rival schools coming to stay with you for the game.

I also love that most of the kids playing NCAA football have no dilusions of a professional sports career. They're legitimate students who work harder than everyone else to juggle academics and athletics, and they play because they love the game. That's not to say NFL athletes don't do that as well, but there's a clear difference.

Add to that the parity in the playing potential in the college game. People say there's no parity in the teams because there are some great long-term programs and some programs that always suck, but in college, the talent is spread thinly enough that 5'8" quarterbacks can lead a team to a national title, Air Force can field a competetive team with tiny linemen and run the wishbone ... or the triple option.

There's so much to the college game on so many levels, even moreso when you're actually attending school. I'm surprised there are football fans who can't find something to love in the game.

das
Old 01-01-03, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I posted the original topic, though, I was thinking more of just watching the games on TV. I mean, I'm watching the Oklahoma-Washington St. game and it just confirms my feelings about it being boring. I'm sure if you're going to college and it's your team, it's exciting, but since this is Bowl week and most of us are watching the games on TV...I just can't understand how someone could find a college game more exciting. Clearly, I'm in the minority here, but it still baffles me how someone can get drawn into a college game (on TV) (unless it's "your" team, of course). But like I said, I can find any NFL game interesting. To each their own.
Old 01-01-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would rather watch the college version of almost any sport as opposed to its professional equivalent .... though I did think the OK - WS game was pretty boring .
Old 01-01-03, 09:06 PM

As far as watching football on TV there is no comparison to the entertainment value that NFL Sunday Ticket offers.

I could watch any 2 teams play in the NFL and be highly entertained. I didn't want the Seahawks / SD game to end. (The last sunday ticket offering of the year) The game was meaningless but still fun to watch.

My withdrawl cannot be tempered watching bowl games. Well except for the Maryland Peach bowl game. No playoffs= no interest.
Old 01-01-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't get into NFL football at all. It just bores me.
Old 01-01-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if you're going to watch the Miami-Ohio State game, you can pretty much say there's one pro team playing. (Miami's etimated to have 18 players drafted in April. )
Old 01-02-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I LOVE college football, and like the NFL.....the College game just seems to have so much more energy and the players are all playing with so much more heart, the fans are more intense, etc....same with college basketball - although the NBA is the grossest derogation of the word 'professional' out there...i absolutely loathe the NBA. They've almost completely ruined the sport of basketball.
Old 01-02-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NFL over College Football any day!
Old 01-02-03, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by twikoff
Im the other way around
I feel exactly the same way.

NCAA is the greatest. I've been to a Browns and Lions game and I tell you what, it was nothing compared to the games I attended at Ohio Stadium to watch the Buckeyes. And there is alot more eyecandy at college games.
Old 01-02-03, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
Im the other way around
i'm with you. There is something to be said about reasonable ticket prices, stands packed with everyone wearing the same color, very often everyone is standing the whole game, band providing the music not a PA system, and crazy plays you will never see risked in the nfl.
Old 01-02-03, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ranger02
And there is alot more eyecandy at college games.
true
Old 01-02-03, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
I am the exact opposite. On Sat i can watch a whole football game. On sundays i wait for highlights.
Old 01-02-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

two words:

the option

'nuff said
Old 01-02-03, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watch the NFL (only sport I do watch) but I have no interest in College football.
Old 01-02-03, 10:27 AM

Only really interested in NFL...

College is okay, but I will rarely watch a whole game. They really need to ditch the Bowl format in favor of a Playoff bracket.

Watch the Packers every week!
Old 01-02-03, 10:45 AM

I think anyone who has ever been to both college football games and NFL games will tell you that there is no comparison in terms of the atmosphere. I've been to an NFL playoff game and it didn't even come close to having the same electricity in the air as any college football game I've been to. I love the NFL, but it doesn't beat college football in terms of aura and atmosphere.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.