Old 01-01-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's Official, Parcells is now a Cowboy

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0101/1485330.html

Wednesday, January 1

Parcells will have control of coaching staff, roster
By Chris Mortensen
Special to ESPN.com

Bill Parcells told ESPN today he has officially agreed to become the coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

Parcells said he and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones finalized the deal this morning and another source said that he had signed a copy of a four-year contract worth $17.1 million.

Parcells will be formally introduced Thursday at a 5 p.m. ET news conference in Dallas as he assumes the reins of a team that has suffered through three consecutive 5-11 seasons.

"I'm going to do it," said Parcells, breaking a three-year hiatus from the NFL.

Parcells, 61, becomes the sixth coach of the Cowboys and replaces Dave Campo, who was fired Monday. Parcells has not coached in the NFL since the 1999 season with the New York Jets. He won two Super Bowls with the New York Giants, reached the Super Bowl with the New England Patriots and went to the AFC championship game with the Jets.

The majority of issues between Jones and Parcells were solved in two face-to-face meetings and through more telephone talks after Campo was fired. Only one issue -- not a deal-breaker -- remained Tuesday, but a source said it was more hypothetical than anything else.

"I just needed to think some things over and sleep on it one last time," Parcells said. "All these other reports were premature until this morning. You know, this is important to both Jerry and me. We don't want to fail. It's got to work and I feel good about it.

"Jerry has invested a lot in the Cowboys and the thing that drives him more than anything else is his desire to win. That's the biggest common (denominator) we both have."

Parcells' two meetings with Jones, totaling about 11 hours, dealt with numerous practical and hypothetical issues. Parcells will have control of his coaching staff, the 53-man roster and, after a review, will be involved with Jones in remaking the scouting department, a league source said. Jones will remain as general manager of the team, but many of the hypotheticals the two discussed dealt with personnel issues such as scouting, the draft and free agency.

The Cowboys have the fifth pick in April's draft.

"There's no question that Bill is going to be the greatest authority in the football operation because Jerry wants it that way, even if every detail is not necessarily in writing," a source close to Parcells said. "That's why there was so much time that lapsed. Bill and Jerry both had to reach a comfort level. There had to be a feeling of trust and I think both guys worked through the various hypotheticals that were raised. ... Bill raised a lot of them. Jerry made it clear that the organization will defer to the head coach on the football matters."

It seems unlikely Jones will be as visible in the bench area during games as he was under the Campo regime, but he will not forsake his visibility as the frontman of the Cowboys, the source said.

"The one thing Bill understands is that Jerry put everything he had on the line to buy the Cowboys, and he has poured his life into it since then," said the source. "He is very respectful of what Jerry did and what Jerry has invested. The bottom line is, he knows Jerry will do whatever it takes to win and get back to the Super Bowl. They both know there are no guarantees but you're going to see the best of them, I think."

Parcells' hiring also is expected to jump-start disenchanted Cowboys fans. Jones has numerous luxury box suite holders at Texas Stadium whose leases had expired with six-year renewals pending.

That also helps explain why Jones was willing to make Parcells the first Cowboys coach to exceed $1 million in salary. Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer both received that amount, but Chan Gailey and Dave Campo were under the million-dollar mark.

In fact, salary was never an issue. The two men solved that barrier in "about 30 seconds" at the first meeting held Dec. 18, the source said, when Jones asked Parcells, "what's it going to take?"

Sources close to both men said Parcells answered by telling the Cowboys owner to "throw out Spurrier's contract" -- $5 million annually -- and just basically pay him the average of the top five highest-paid coaches in the NFL. Jones said that was fair.

Parcells' Memphis-based agent, Jimmy Sexton, then worked on the specific numbers with Stephen Jones, the Cowboys' executive vice president and Jerry Jones' son, and those two hammered out many of the other details.

A Cowboys source said Jones appreciated that Parcells "didn't try to hold him up" by demanding to be the highest-paid coach in football.

As for the coaching staff, Parcells will interview some assistants who served under Campo, such as defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. But none of them is guaranteed a job and Parcells is researching potential assistants across the NFL who are available after this season. Even though many of his former assistants from his days with the Giants, Patriots and Jets will not be available, a source said Parcells is comfortable that he can hire a competent staff.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.
Old 01-01-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

poor poor bill
Old 01-01-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

5 million? I should become a NFL coach
Old 01-01-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk God

btw.. emmitt is at the florida game
and refuses to comment on parcells or his future
he wouldnt even talk about the florida game because he said they would sneak other questions in
Old 01-01-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anything more been said about the Buccs claim that they had a contract and should get compensation?

Shadow
Old 01-01-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is the best Cowboys news in a long, long time.
Old 01-01-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by shadowhawk2020
Has anything more been said about the Buccs claim that they had a contract and should get compensation?

Shadow

Here's what the Bucs will get...

Cowboys haters got a little nervous today. Worst to first is alot easier in today's watered down NFL.....

Last edited by JaxComet; 01-01-03 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-01-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
This is the best Cowboys news in a long, long time.
Indeed. If Jerry can really step back and let Parcells coach, this team can easily be crafted into a Super Bowl contender.

Will he do it? I don't know. Jerry is such an egomaniac, I don't know if he can put aside his pride and let it happen. However, if there's anything that can make Jerry Jones do something, it's a heavy hit to his pocketbook. Something tells me those luxury boxes were starting to get a bit hard to fill, and he's starting to realize that sharing the glory of winning is a whole lot better than taking all the blame for losing.
Old 01-01-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by JaxComet

Cowboys haters got a little nervous today. Worst to first is alot easier in today's watered down NFL.....
Old 01-01-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by einTier
Indeed. If Jerry can really step back and let Parcells coach, this team can easily be crafted into a Super Bowl contender.

Will he do it? I don't know.
It sounds like, from the quotes that I have heard and read, that Jones has conceded a lot of the GM responsibilities, but not the title. Well, I will take power over a title any day.

It seems as though the things that held it up, albeit shortly, were coaching personnel, draft day, and the final say on player personnel. Well, that's GM responsibility.

I can't say that I am excited about this (I'll be excited if this results in championships), but for the first time in eight years, I can finally say that I understand the direction that the Cowboys are going.

That was one of the most frustrating things about the previous regimes: are we rebuilding? are we stocking up for a run at a title? are we trying to save salary cap money? It seemed like every move that the Cowboys made was completely unrelated to the previous one, making the first movve more and more irrelevent and boneheaded.....like a child caught in a lie.
Old 01-01-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JaxComet
Originally posted by twikoff
Hey, look... there's one now!
(And try telling that to the Bungals )
Old 01-01-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was only a matter of time!
Old 01-01-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the NFL said the Bucs had no claim because the contract was never officially sent to their offices.
Old 01-01-03, 04:01 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone know why his nickname is "Tuna". I heard it came from "The Big Tuna" perhaps because he is a big shot, but why not lion or octopus or sea cucumber?
Old 01-01-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk God

I assume that he will try to get Tom Coughlin to come on board as a coordinator. He will probably get Maurice Carthon to join the staff as well.

As a Skins fan and knowing Parcells emphasis on running the ball and defense, I can only hope that they don't pursue Stephen Davis in free agency.
Old 01-01-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by kuroiinu
Does anyone know why his nickname is "Tuna". I heard it came from "The Big Tuna" perhaps because he is a big shot, but why not lion or octopus or sea cucumber?

From The Dallas Morning News.....

"When Parcells was a linebacker coach with the Patriots in 1980, he felt one of his players was trying to con him to get out of a drill. Parcells told him that he wasn't that gullible. "I ain't Charlie the Tuna," Parcells said. And the nickname stuck."
Old 01-01-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As a Jets fan, I hope that Parcells falls flat on his face. That guy is such a mercenary.

It looks like Keith Byars and Dave Meggett may be back in the NFL soon
Old 01-02-03, 01:34 AM
Banned

Time to start house cleaning. Emmit's future with the Boys, I think not.
Old 01-02-03, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I appreciate what Parcells did for the Jets, but he's certainly prone to flights of fancy. All I know is that it is sweet justice that he has to face the Jets, Giants, Pats and Bucs in their home stadiums this year.

Look for at least one of those games to be prime time, with the Giants-Dallas matchup in the Meadowlands as an early-season MNF game.
Old 01-02-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Bushdog

Look for at least one of those games to be prime time, with the Giants-Dallas matchup in the Meadowlands as an early-season MNF game.

If Dallas in on MNF next season, I don't want to hear Al Michaels or anyone from ABC bitching about the lameness of games next season.

I could envision a Dallas-NYG matchup on SNF.
Old 01-02-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I could see Dallas getting one game on MNF but no more than that. The problem with the scheduling of MNF is that they base the schedule entirely upon how a team did the previous year instead of taking a risk on teams that "might" be playoff caliber the following year. That is why we were treated to seeing the Bears several times I think it's safe to say the Atlanta Falcons will be on MNF the maximum three times next year.
Old 01-02-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
If Dallas in on MNF next season, I don't want to hear Al Michaels or anyone from ABC bitching about the lameness of games next season.

I could envision a Dallas-NYG matchup on SNF.

It's all about ratings. I'm surprised they weren't on this year. Good, bad, or ugly Dallas draws viewers. With Parcells coming in, look for at least one Dallas MNF game.......
Old 01-02-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a Giant fan I hope Parcells falls on his big arrogant head. "Here I come to save the day" - Mighty Mouse
Sorry Dallas fans, but Bill is old school and old school aint workin' any more. Mike Ditka thought he could show up to New Orleans, act tough, yell at everyone, and run the ball/play defense. That went well. My guess is Bill will suffer the same fate. - at least I hope so.
Old 01-02-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by parrotheads4
As a Giant fan I hope Parcells falls on his big arrogant head. "Here I come to save the day" - Mighty Mouse
Sorry Dallas fans, but Bill is old school and old school aint workin' any more. Mike Ditka thought he could show up to New Orleans, act tough, yell at everyone, and run the ball/play defense. That went well. My guess is Bill will suffer the same fate. - at least I hope so.

That's funny. This year's Giants team looks pretty old school to me and look how well they've done. Kerry Collins and Tiki Barber remind me alot of Phil Sims and Dave Megget (sp?)......I think there might be a little Bill Parcells influence still going on in New York...
Old 01-02-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk God

parcells has always had a good qb to work with
lets see what he does with the junk qbs that he has to work with in dallas

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.