Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Should Maurice Clarett sit out the Fiesta Bowl?
Yes
25.00%
No
75.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Should Maurice Clarett sit out the Fiesta Bowl?

Old 12-31-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Should Maurice Clarett sit out the Fiesta Bowl?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/bowls02/s/fie...31clarett.html

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Ohio State tailback Maurice Clarett claimed Tuesday that school officials lied about why he was unable to go home for the funeral of a friend.

Clarett blasted the school Monday for giving him "the runaround'' when he tried to get an airline ticket home to Youngstown, Ohio.

Ohio State athletic director Andy Geiger said the university would have looked favorably on the request, but Clarett did not fill out the proper forms to qualify for NCAA emergency funds.

Clarett said he completed all of the paperwork before he left Ohio on Thursday for Arizona.

"They can't lie about that,'' Clarett said. "I won't sit here and let them lie about that.''

The No. 2 Buckeyes meet No. 1 Miami in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on Friday night for the national championship.

Heather Lyke Catalano, Ohio State's associate athletic director in charge of NCAA compliance, said she was not allowed to comment.

"I talked to Heather last night and she said he has not filled out the proper paperwork,'' sports information director Steve Snapp said.

In a statement released Tuesday night, Geiger said Clarett had not submitted a Free Application For Federal Student Aid Form to Ohio State as of Monday.

"Maurice may have begun the process but at the time we had to make the decision, there was no indication of a FAFFSA on file for Maurice,'' Geiger said. "We were therefore compelled to follow the NCAA rules as they apply to the situation.''

Clarett also said university officials put football ahead of life. Geiger disagreed.

"We care deeply about all of our student-athletes, and we did everything possible to assist Maurice Clarett in this time of his personal grief,'' Geiger said. "Unfortunately given the circumstances, we had no choice other than to react in the manner in which we did.''

Clarett said he found out his good friend, Juaquin A. "Juan'' Bell, died more than a week ago. Youngstown police said Bell was shot multiple times Dec. 21.

He said he asked coach Jim Tressel about going home. Tressel referred the matter to the university's compliance department, which approves any financial aid or benefits given to student-athletes.

Clarett said his mother filled out the paperwork last week, and he submitted it to university officials. Clarett's mother declined to comment to The Associated Press, adding, "I just don't want to feed it.''

Clarett said he was most upset that he was not contacted by Lyke Catalano after he filed his paperwork.

"The compliance lady said she'd get back to me in my room,'' Clarett said. "She never called back in my room or on my cell phone. That's the real reason I was mad -- because she didn't call me back.''
Old 12-31-02, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

that hasnt even been mentioned as an option

but you gotta love the ncaa bs paperwork
Old 12-31-02, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who knows what really happened ... one thing's for sure ... I'd never trust anything you hear from those damn financial aid people. I was on overlapping full scholarships when I attended college and got the run around with them every single quarter. They'd lose my paperwork then lie to cover it up, they'd double charge me, or misplace the proof of a paid fee or whatever ... I'm sure it wasn't intentional ... just a combination of apathy and incompetence. Add to that the fact that even the best of students have trouble with those damn FAFFSA forms, and I tend to believe Clarrett probably did everything he thought he had to.

Strange, though, that if it was just a money issue someone else wouldn't take care of it. I know if I were Tressel, I'd pay the bill myself and get reimbursed later. Probably just one of those things where everyone's partially to blame, and Clarrett is understandably emotionally frustrated over everything.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 12-31-02 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-31-02, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

not like it would matter... just the difference between Miami winning by 3 touchdowns or by 5.
Old 12-31-02, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
Strange, though, that if it was just a money issue someone else wouldn't take care of it. I know if I were Tressel, I'd pay the bill myself and get reimbursed later. Probably just one of those things where everyone's partially to blame, and Clarrett is understandably emotionally frustrated over everything.
das
If Tressel had done that, he would've gotten OSU in big, big trouble with the NCAA. You can't pay for a student athlete's travel like that, no matter the circumstance.
Old 12-31-02, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth WildcatLH
If Tressel had done that, he would've gotten OSU in big, big trouble with the NCAA. You can't pay for a student athlete's travel like that, no matter the circumstance.

Oh yeah ... one of the many reasons it's absurd for people to hate college athletes. In any other scenario in any other arena, it would be no big deal; but college athletes can't take a **** without the NCAA finding some infraction.

das
Old 01-01-03, 12:18 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

If he watched sportscenter the other night and listened to some of the Miami players say their practice squad running back is better than he is he should be able to put this fiasco behind him for now and concentrate on them.
Old 01-01-03, 03:18 AM
Premium Member

Clarett interview on ESPN was pretty straightforward.

He said something like, I am here to win for coach and teammates. Don't care about the rules BS.

He is at OSU to play football, that is all. I don't see him staying in NCAA past next year unless he gets hurt or he starts to suck (he could be the real deal, if his attitude wouldn't get in the way)...
Old 01-01-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd say next season will be Clarett's anyway ... he will either get permanently injured or go the NFL.
Old 01-01-03, 04:51 PM

I don't think he should sit out the ENTIRE game, but I think Tressel needs to make it clear to Clarett that these off-the-field distractions leading into the Fiesta Bowl are not appreciated. Maybe make him sit out the first drive or 2, and then play it by ear. I wouldn't put that past Jim Tressel, because he did bench Bellesari for the biggest game OSU of last year (vs. Michigan).

As far as Clarett's future, it looks really bright, but he needs to prove that he can stay healthy the entire season. Even with the crazy numbers that he puts up, it's a risky gamble that any NFL team will have to take.
Old 01-01-03, 04:51 PM

Saying all that...i hope he leaves OSU as soon as possible, so that my Wolverines can start going back to the Rose Bowl!!!
Old 01-01-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Smangalick
I don't think he should sit out the ENTIRE game, but I think Tressel needs to make it clear to Clarett that these off-the-field distractions leading into the Fiesta Bowl are not appreciated.

It may say more to his team to just let it slide. It's not like he complained about his teammates to the media or got in trouble at a bar in Tempe or broke a team rule. It sounds like he's just grieving over his friend's death and incredibly frustrated that he couldn't make it to the funeral. Compassion on this issue may be the best approach.

das
Old 01-01-03, 04:59 PM

Compassion on this issue is the best approach, but the comments that Clarett has said over the past week have taken much of the focus off the team.

I don't think that Tressel will sit Clarett at all, but maybe he deserves to sit for a little bit....kinda like time-out, a place to think about what he has done.
Old 01-01-03, 08:22 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Smangalick
because he did bench Bellesari for the biggest game OSU of last year (vs. Michigan)
Bellesari was arrested, he had no choice but to suspend him.
Old 01-01-03, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by MrX
If he watched sportscenter the other night and listened to some of the Miami players say their practice squad running back is better than he is he should be able to put this fiasco behind him for now and concentrate on them.
Well their practice squad RB (Frank Gore) did average 9.3 yards a carry as a freshman... Well, he isn't as good as Clarett but he's not that bad.
Old 01-01-03, 11:49 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by evenflowddt
Well their practice squad RB (Frank Gore) did average 9.3 yards a carry as a freshman... Well, he isn't as good as Clarett but he's not that bad.
In garbage time. His 2 biggest games were a 45-3 win and a 59-0 win. I think he's a good back, but to say he's better than Clarett is dumb.
Old 01-02-03, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by Smangalick
I wouldn't put that past Jim Tressel, because he did bench Bellesari for the biggest game OSU of last year (vs. Michigan).
Bellisari (better spelled Bellisorry) was benched because he couldn't handle the pressure. He was arrested for a DUI. He was suspended from the Michigan game and his captain status was taken away.
Bellisari didn't start against South Carolina in the Outback Bowl (altho I'm wishing he had), Krenzel got the start and only played a few series and Bellisari came in with the score still 0-0. This is why I still say Krenzel is undeafted as a QB... he left the Outback Bowl when there was still no score.

Anyways, Tressel is a classy guy. He won't bench Clarett for his whining because as someone already said, he is probably in grief and let his emotions get the best of him.
Old 01-02-03, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to wonder about his motives to be so public about this... If he never said anything to the media in the first place he wouldn't have to come back and say the university is trying to make him look stupid. I guess its a snowball effect, once you get started you can't stop it. And since his first comments were most likely made while he was under a lot of stress and going through a hard time, that just got it started.
Old 01-02-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrX
In garbage time. His 2 biggest games were a 45-3 win and a 59-0 win. I think he's a good back, but to say he's better than Clarett is dumb.
Gore is the best RB on the Miami squad. Period. Which says alot about him, since McGahee is one helluva RB. Gore was scheduled to be the #1 RB this season until he went down in spring practice with a knee injury.

Is he as good as Clarett? Who knows. But he's certainly in the same class.

As for Clarett, I'm kinda hoping he sues to test the waters of the NFL .. because he's not ready, he's going to get killed (both from proneness to injury, plus somewhat of an attitude), and it will dissaude other freshmen from trying that BS.