Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Jan. 1 Bowl Games

Old 12-31-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Jan. 1 Bowl Games

Needed to start this one because I wanted to discuss the Gator Bowl.

Yes the Gator Bowl - the symbol of everything that is wrong with the bowl system. We have 2 teams that should not be here. 1 should be playing in the Cotton Bowl against another top-10 opponent. A Big East team should be in Notre Dame's slot - it would make both the Big East and ND happier. The other team went 1-3 in November and finished 4th in the ACC. They were rewarded with the most presitgious bowl slot (outside of the BCS) for an ACC team.

Now let's get to the line: pick'em. How on earth can this be a pick'em? The only thing that I can fathom is that there is so much Notre Dame hatred in this country that people visiting Vegas feel compelled to bet against them. You have a Notre Dame team that handily beat 2 ACC teams that were better than NC State - in fact, both of these contests were away from South Bend. NC State limped down the stretch. Sure ND got blown out by USC, but NC St is no USC.

My biggest bet of the current football season (college and pro) is going on the Fighting Irish to win. I don't know if this line is a trap, but it looks far too good to pass up.

My biggest concern is that the Irish players will feel disappointed to be playing in the Gator while the Wolfpack feel the exact opposite.
Old 12-31-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk God

well.. if your going to start the thread.. you need to list out all the games/times/channels in the first post
Old 12-31-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by twikoff
well.. if your going to start the thread.. you need to list out all the games/times/channels in the first post

Do I look like a TV Guide?

edit: here you go:

Outback Bowl
Tampa, Fla. Wednesday, Jan. 1
11 a.m. (ESPN)
Florida (8-4) vs.
Michigan (9-3)

SBC Cotton Bowl
Dallas Wednesday, Jan.1
11 a.m. (FOX)
Texas (10-2) vs.
LSU (8-4)

Toyota Gator Bowl
Jacksonville, Fla. Wednesday, Jan. 1
12:30 p.m. (NBC)
NC State (10-3) vs.
Notre Dame (10-2)

Capital One Bowl
Orlando, Fla. Wednesday, Jan. 1
1 p.m. (ABC)
Penn State (9-3) vs.
Auburn (8-4)

Rose Bowl Presented by Sony Playstation 2
Pasadena, Calif. Wednesday, Jan. 1
5 p.m. (ABC)
Oklahoma (11-2) vs.
Washington State (10-2)

Nokia Sugar Bowl
New Orleans Wednesday, Jan. 1
8:30 p.m. (ABC)
Georgia (12-1) vs.
Florida State (9-4)

Last edited by Red Dog; 12-31-02 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-31-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Today's games are OK, but tomorrows are what I am looking forward to watching.

Just about all of those matchups, except the Cotton, are good ones.
Old 12-31-02, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ahhhhh, the New Year's Day bowl games. The 2 tuner DirecTV/TiVo combo box really shines on New Year's Day. Tune to 2 bowl games, pause one, switch to the other. At commercial, pause, switch tuners, watch the other until commercial. Repeat until football nirvana is achieved.
Old 12-31-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Red Dog
Do I look like a TV Guide?

edit: here you go:
now you do...
Old 12-31-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Talk about agony... I normally work evenings, but on New Year's Day I get to work a simple 11:30am to 4:30pm shift. Right when my Auburn team plays Penn St. There is no way I can Tivo it and avoid hearing the score, so I'll maybe catch a few minutes of it here and there while live. This sucks!

Go Auburn! Penn St. favored by 6, but I think anything could happen in this one.
Old 12-31-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Jan. 1 Bowl Games

The other team went 1-3 in November and finished 4th in the ACC. They were rewarded with the most presitgious bowl slot (outside of the BCS) for an ACC team.

1-3 in November, yes... but that's when we had a short weak streak and lost 3 games to very good teams (Virginia by 5, at their place - and we saw how they killed West Virginia in their bowl game, Maryland by 3, at their place, and they're up 14-0 on Tennessee right now, and Georgia Tech by 7 at home, in a game that, well, we blew in the fourth). And the win was against a BCS team, Florida St., which our kick-ass defense virtually shut out the entire game for a 17-7 win. Oh yeah, and besides that month, you fail to mention that we were 9-0 for the rest of the year!

Now let's get to the line: pick'em. How on earth can this be a pick'em? The only thing that I can fathom is that there is so much Notre Dame hatred in this country that people visiting Vegas feel compelled to bet against them. You have a Notre Dame team that handily beat 2 ACC teams that were better than NC State - in fact, both of these contests were away from South Bend. NC State limped down the stretch. Sure ND got blown out by USC, but NC St is no USC.
I don't know where you get a pick'em line from because every site I go to has had NCSU as 1 point favorites for the last few weeks! Oh yeah, and notice that Notre Dame did get blown out this year and lost another at home by 7, whereas our worst loss was 7 points! From my experience, the lines are far and away the best indicator of an upcoming contest, much better than rankings or anything else. So I have to say that based on that, NCSU certainly deserves to be in this game. I bet you anything that Virginia, Maryland, or FSU would all be underdogs.[/B]
My biggest bet of the current football season (college and pro) is going on the Fighting Irish to win. I don't know if this line is a trap, but it looks far too good to pass up.

My biggest concern is that the Irish players will feel disappointed to be playing in the Gator while the Wolfpack feel the exact opposite.
Yes, the Pack is excited about playing in the Gator bowl, AS ANY TEAM SHOULD BE! It's unfortunate that we are playing a team that's been whining about where they ended up.
Old 01-01-03, 04:33 AM

Outback Bowl
Tampa, Fla. Wednesday, Jan. 1
11 a.m. (ESPN)
Florida (8-4) vs.
Michigan (9-3)
Wahoo!! Go Blue!
Old 01-01-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Game Time!!

dont you love how the announcers keep talking about grossman..
he has 17 interceptions.. they blame the early ones on the new system.. and all the more recent ones tipped passes and receiver errors.. so grossman never makes a mistakes?

I was one of the main people last season that said grossman was the top qb last season.. but this year, he has dropped off some
Old 01-01-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

wow.. florida has just dominated michigan so far in this game..
but they are only up 13-7
michigan has caught some huge breaks.. with the bad snap that gave them the ball inside the florida 10 for an each touchdown.. and then florida trying the 2 pt conversion and failing..
michigan is very fortunate that this game isnt a blow out right now.. they really need to make some plays if they want to stay in this game
Old 01-01-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk God

they must have heard me.. all the sudden michigan has found an offense.. they have doubled their first down total..
now they have 3..

edit.. 4 now.. and the ball is inside the florida 5 on the trick play
Old 01-01-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Both the Outback Bowl and the Cotton Bowl are great games so far (1 half).

Non football note:
Those outfits that the Texas cheerleaders and band wear are horrible.
Old 01-01-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk God

rough start for my tigers against penn state
they fumbled at their own 16.. then let penn st move to the 4..
but with 1st and goal from the 4, auburn held psu to a fg..

3-0 Penn St. early
Old 01-01-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk God

ugh.. auburn is still struggling big time
they are outplaying psu on offense and defense.. but are stalling in the when it counts and making too many mistakes..
still dont know how duval went from possibly the best fg kicker in the nation last year, to this suckass kicker this year
luckily the defense has been playing very well.. 20 minutes into the game.. larry johnson has 5 rushes for a total of -7 yards.. I dont expect that to hold up.. but it still has been very helpful, since the offense isnt getting it done right now.

and i see nc state is putting it to notre dame.. 21-3 in the first half
Old 01-01-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

God this is painful. Last time we were in the Gator Bowl we had to play the whole game with an immobile Jarius Jackson (not good when he's an option QB), and now we lose Holiday and have to play the whole game with Pat "I Throw Interceptions in My Sleep" Dillingham.

Notre Dame has had an incredible season, but the one thing they are NOT ... is deep. Dillingham needs to grow the **** up and stop embarassing this team. He already handed the season to BC ... let's try not to get blown out today.

das
Old 01-01-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Jan. 1 Bowl Games

Quoth Red Dog

My favorite line was the Maryland/Tennessee game. I got in when Maryland was a 2.5 point underdog. Talk about too good to pass up.

Looks like a tough break for you if you bet a lot on the Irish. I honestly don't know how we can win this game without our starting QB.

das
Old 01-01-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

christmas is coming late for psu..
between auburn giving them the early fumble and score..
and the refs calling auburn for something on every other play.. including several personal fouls
Old 01-01-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good opening defensive stand. Hopefully the defense realizes this is another game where they have to score at least 14 points on their own.

And Michigan hits a field goal to go up 8.

das
Old 01-01-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now come on ... we're struggling enough ... we don't need the officials making ******** calls against us too.

das
Old 01-01-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

florida just blew their last chance
down 8, they were cruising down the field with over a minute to go
and they decided to try a trick play.. double reverse and then the receiver threw up a wild pass that was picked off..

talk about poor coaching! if they had stayed with what they were doing, its safe to assume they were heading into the endzone and would have a big 2 pt conversion try (which was needed because of the bad call earlier in the game to try and go for 2 and fail)
Old 01-01-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
christmas is coming late for psu..
between auburn giving them the early fumble and score..
and the refs calling auburn for something on every other play.. including several personal fouls
Pays to have Paterno as your coach.
6-0 PSU in an exciting offensive battle. YEAH RIGHT!
Old 01-01-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth twikoff
talk about poor coaching! if they had stayed with what they were doing, its safe to assume they were heading into the endzone and would have a big 2 pt conversion try (which was needed because of the bad call earlier in the game to try and go for 2 and fail)

Yeah, the last few possessions they showed a real ability to drive. Strange they didn't stick with it.

das
Old 01-01-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk God

auburn is down 6-0 at the half
the stats are virtually identical.. with the exception of the 2 turnovers by auburn (one at the 16 which setup an easy fg), the blocked fg for auburn, and the 75 yards in penalties..
despite all that.. the auburn defense has played great..
johnson now has 12 carries for 40 yards.. but half of those yards came on one run with a couple seconds left in the half, because auburn was playing soft to keep from giving up the big 70 yard pass before the half
Old 01-01-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by The Governor
Pays to have Paterno as your coach.
6-0 PSU in an exciting offensive battle. YEAH RIGHT!
actually... i would think it would hurt to have joepa as a coach, when it comes to the officials.. with how much he whines and insults them, you wouldnt think they would be very compassionate to him.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.