Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Whoa! Sports cards are expensive!

Old 12-30-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whoa! Sports cards are expensive!

Okay, so I've dabbled a bit with football cards lately. With some of my earnings from my amazing fantasy football season, I decided to pick up two boxes of new cards. Combined, these two boxes had 200+ cards, found in 44 packs. The total cost for me was $265.

Now that's a lot of money.

But what's crazy about the story isn't the cost of the box, but the fact that I sold one card (Shockley rookie with jersey patch) on ebay for $115. For one card! Two other cards (David Carr and Roy Williams rookie cards with Autographs) are selling for $200+ and $75+ on ebay right now, too.

Geesh, that's insane! My entire collection of cards from 1980-1993 aren't worth a total of $150, now one card is selling for almost $200? Of a guy who hasn't been in the league for one year? Now that's insane.
Old 12-30-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My husband bought me a Joe Montana card for christmas. Its an upper deck 3 superbowl MVP card, that cost him about 70 bucks.
Old 12-30-02, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No crap. That's why I quit collecting them.
Old 12-30-02, 07:59 PM

yeah, these sports cards go way up in value at the beginning then they fall off as interest wanes. then it pops up again when the player does something historic (like bonds 73 HR). then the interest goes away and prices falls. the last pop in price you'll get is the Hall of Fame, sell it then or else lose your investment. at least for cards that were made in late 80s and newer.

so sell all the hot commodities right now and pick it up later if you want the card still.
Old 12-30-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
No crap. That's why I quit collecting them.
Me too.
Inserts have driven the marketplace completely out of control. $4-5 packs are now becoming more common. There is a $20 pack coming soon in baseball, I think. Also, with the emergence of this stupid "Short Print" fad, set building has become virtually impossible.
Old 12-30-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They're also mass produced and basically worthless.....I'll stick with my old stuff....
Old 12-31-02, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The sports card market has changed. No longer just kids and collectors there are investors now. If you're a player collector, even for some no name guy, the 'limited release' cards will drive you NUTZ.

Just look at how much this fugly Yao Ming card goes for:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1984046493
Old 12-31-02, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All I basically buy are Packer cards (and only 2-3 brands), and occassionally the box of packs so I can sell the rookies if I get any. Although it's sometimes rough to pay $5 for some Favre card, I like the idea of having a small collection of players to show off to my son (if I ever have one) many years down the road. I'm not in it for the money, just the nastalgia.
Old 01-01-03, 02:09 PM

I also quit but it was like 11 years ago. The packs went for like 1 dollar(Cnd) per pack now it's like 5 of something. Crazy just like music CD's that's why everyone downloads music.
Old 01-01-03, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by JaxComet
They're also mass produced and basically worthless.....I'll stick with my old stuff....
Actually they are not anymore, and thart's what's driving the market out of control.

As an example.
Two years ago when I was doing extremely well at the office I used part of a hefty bonus check and bought two CASES of 2001 Bowman Chrome. 8 boxes per case, 24 packs per box, 5 cards per pack = 960 cards per case. This was the set that included the short print autograph rookies as part of the basic set, as well as short print RCs in general. Ichiro and Pujols were the big rookies.

So, I basically had 384 packs, and 1,920 cards from two cases. The entire set is 310 cards, but the short prints are only found in 1:4 packs. The SP autograph RCs (20 of them) were inserted 1:147 packs. After busting all those packs I still needed 100+ cards to complete the set. I got ZERO autograph RCs and barely managed to get an Ichiro.

Completing that set and others like it is virtually impossible. I spent $600 on two cases that were going for $1,000+ per case at the time and I came nowhere close to completing that set. It's ridiculous that SPs have become common in 95% of the sets on the market now. I know it drives up prices of RCs and such, but at the expense of set builders.

Last edited by indianajdp; 01-01-03 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-02-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't think people put sets together anymore. I can't imagine doing it. I'd rather buy a TOPPS factory sealed set if I wanted all the players from a certain year, then buy all the (Insert Favorite Team Here) cards I could get my hands on. Saves money, and you don't have 100s of cards you don't care about.
Old 01-02-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I say we start a card company whose whole purpose is to bring the fun back to card collecting.

And don't forget the gum!
Old 01-02-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs

And don't forget the gum!

That reminds me of this one time...

Me and a couple of friends went to the mall a while back and went to the card shop they had there. They sold all kinds of packaged cards, and they had this one sealed pack of I think it was 1978 Topps and it had a piece of gum in it. The pack was like $3.00, so we bought it to try the 22 year old gum. That was a mistake...
Old 01-02-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by indianajdp
Actually they are not anymore, and thart's what's driving the market out of control.

As an example.
Two years ago when I was doing extremely well at the office I used part of a hefty bonus check and bought two CASES of 2001 Bowman Chrome. 8 boxes per case, 24 packs per box, 5 cards per pack = 960 cards per case. This was the set that included the short print autograph rookies as part of the basic set, as well as short print RCs in general. Ichiro and Pujols were the big rookies.

So, I basically had 384 packs, and 1,920 cards from two cases. The entire set is 310 cards, but the short prints are only found in 1:4 packs. The SP autograph RCs (20 of them) were inserted 1:147 packs. After busting all those packs I still needed 100+ cards to complete the set. I got ZERO autograph RCs and barely managed to get an Ichiro.

Completing that set and others like it is virtually impossible. I spent $600 on two cases that were going for $1,000+ per case at the time and I came nowhere close to completing that set. It's ridiculous that SPs have become common in 95% of the sets on the market now. I know it drives up prices of RCs and such, but at the expense of set builders.

Nobody's gonna care about special limited inserts and baseball cards with real pieces of the player's bat 30 years from now. The appeal with old school cards is that they weren't marketed as collectibles. They were just cards.....
Old 01-02-03, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by bishop2knight
I didn't think people put sets together anymore. I can't imagine doing it. I'd rather buy a TOPPS factory sealed set if I wanted all the players from a certain year, then buy all the (Insert Favorite Team Here) cards I could get my hands on. Saves money, and you don't have 100s of cards you don't care about.
Well, most don't for reasons I've already mentioned.
I have always loved the challenge of doing so, and the last few years Bowman Chrome was my set of choice. The cards cost a bit more but boasted the best investment potential because of the wealth of RCs included each season (usually 100-150 RCs every year). I'd buy a few boxes, amass all of my unwanted inserts and duplicates, and trade for the cards I needed to complete the set.
Old 01-03-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I knew this kid in about 1985. He was about 10 years old and he always had the price guides, trying to get as many rookies as he could. So even back that far they were collectibles. I doubt those pages of Dwight Gooden rookie cards aren't worth much these days
Old 01-03-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone know if the old cards (baseball) are worth anything anymore?

Old, like 10-25 years old. and rookies, mostly. I have hundreds and hundreds. All of Bonds's rookies, Johnson, Griffey, pretty much anyone who came into the league prior to 1995.

I stopped, too, because of all the shiny, sparkling, gotta get the insert crap they began making. Took the fun out of it for me.

Should I just keep holding these old cards or dump them?
Old 01-03-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Look on Ebay.