Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Who watched the Redskins game yesterday?

Old 12-30-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who watched the Redskins game yesterday?

Here's the set up....
I believe it's late 3rd quarter or 4th quarter. Dallas runs a reverse to Darnay Scott and Darnay falls down without being touched. Color commentator extraordinaire Brian Baldinger says "It looks like he just got hit by a sniper"

I can't believe in the D.C. area that he would say something like that. I didn't see anything about it in today's paper so I'm just wondering if anybody here heard it.
Old 12-30-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

I think I remember hearing the comment.
Old 12-30-02, 11:44 AM
Banned

Ha! Did you guys watch a portion of ESPN at about 7:30PM EST yesterday. Some caster, for got his name, saying "too bad the Bengals were not inside Cinergy Field when it imploded."
Old 12-30-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mysterX
Ha! Did you guys watch a portion of ESPN at about 7:30PM EST yesterday. Some caster, for got his name, saying "too bad the Bengals were not inside Cinergy Field when it imploded."
I think most Bengal fans would have preferred if Mike Brown was inside rather than the team itself.
Old 12-30-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Who watched the Redskins game yesterday?

Originally posted by Timber
I didn't see anything about it in today's paper so I'm just wondering if anybody here heard it.
I think it's safe to assume that means most of the media was smart enough than to watch the Redskins/Cowboys game...
Old 12-30-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yea, I caught it. My wife and I were like WTF
Old 12-30-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did not hear it because I was there.

Not a smart comment to make but then again he is a fourth rate commentator anyway. Most people in DC watch the game and listen to the commentary on the radio with Frank, Sonny and Sam.
Old 12-30-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
I did not hear it because I was there.

Not a smart comment to make but then again he is a fourth rate commentator anyway. Most people in DC watch the game and listen to the commentary on the radio with Frank, Sonny and Sam.

I usually do this but since there were other critical games going on yesterday at 1, I wanted to make sure that I caught the FOX ticker chime to see the other scores
Old 12-30-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so speaking of the skins...how did Ramsey look? i missed the game. does he look like he could be a legitimate #1 starter next year?
Old 12-30-02, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by broadwayblue
so speaking of the skins...how did Ramsey look? i missed the game. does he look like he could be a legitimate #1 starter next year?
Ramsey is ok but he is not the problem.

Spurrier did not want him drafted and there is still no indication that Ramsey will be the starter much less be here.
Old 12-30-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah - I think it is a near certainty that he will be the starter next year. He makes a fair number of mistakes (expected from a rookie), but given how bad the center of the Skins line is, I am impressed with what Ramsey has displayed this year.
Old 12-30-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ramsey is ok but he is not the problem.

Spurrier did not want him drafted and there is still no indication that Ramsey will be the starter much less be here.
are you suggesting he will be traded? as far as i know he has about 5 years left on his contract.
Old 12-30-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

are you suggesting he will be traded? as far as i know he has about 5 years left on his contract.
I am simply speculating based on facts.

Spurrier has already said he wants to be more involved with player picks and front office activities.

He has already named an offensive coordinator.

It is a fact that he did not want Ramsey.

The Redskins have cap problems with Stephen Davis.

I think it would be premature to suggest that Ramsey will or will not be traded. I believe that the suggestion is valid.
Old 12-30-02, 02:29 PM

Yes, I did hear the comment. I thought the same thing- is this guy a complete insensitive moron or what?

Moron example #2- He is holding in depth conversation with a woman at a gym about the durability of Emmit Smith and does not know it is Emmits wife until she tells him?????

I am simply speculating based on facts.

Spurrier has already said he wants to be more involved with player picks and front office activities.

He has already named an offensive coordinator.

It is a fact that he did not want Ramsey.

The Redskins have cap problems with Stephen Davis.

I think it would be premature to suggest that Ramsey will or will not be traded. I believe that the suggestion is valid.

Is it a fact he did not want Ramsey? Or was it he was upset with the 16 day hold out? Even at Flordia, you are either on his good side or you are not.

While it is true with the Redskins you cannot predict anything to a large degree, it would seem highly unlikely that Ramsey would be traded. As FOX was keeping track , the skins had at least 6 drops. His passes for the most part have been very accurate. He was horrendous in the New Orleans game, though.

Unless the Skins get an oppurtunity at an experienced proven QB I do not see a trade anytime soon.
Old 12-30-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it a fact he did not want Ramsey?
Yes although it may take me some time to locate the story from last year.
Old 12-30-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That Baldinger guy is an idiot. Just an idiot.
Old 12-30-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by rskinfn

Is it a fact he did not want Ramsey? Or was it he was upset with the 16 day hold out? Even at Flordia, you are either on his good side or you are not.

They were all hoping that Stallworth slipped down to them. When that did not happen, they traded down. At the time they actually selected, Cerrato, Mendes, and Danny Boy wanted Ramsey. Spurrier actually wanted to go for a OG. He was convinced that he could go to war with Weurffel and Matthews at that point. He was also upset with the holdout.

The reason why I don't see a trade is that I think that Spurrier realizes that his Florida boys are worthless. J.Green and Willie Jackson are already gone. Doehring is gone in all likelihood. At best, Weurffel will remain as a backup next season. He has seen enough from Ramsey to know that this is the guy who is best served to run the offense.
Old 12-30-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where did they find this guy? Calling games for the South Park Cows?

"Oh, I've haven't seen an Englishman take a blow like that since Hugh Grant!"

"Oh I haven't seen a Jew run like that since Poland, 1938!"
Old 12-30-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A couple of answers/questions

1) I too heard the comment, and although I don't care personally, it's the sort of thing that can get you fired. Probably a slip of the tongue

2) Ramsey almost certainly will be the starter next year. He looked decent again this week for a rookie, although he would have been helped if the Redskins receivers weren't stone handed.

3) For those that watched the game, there were several calls that I didn't understand. If you have any clarifications/takes on it

1) The "fumble" incompletion by McGee in the first quarter. I'm pretty sure it was TE Tony McGee that caught the ball, fumbled it, and the Redskins recovered. To my knowledge the officals never blew the play dead, but they ended up ruling the pass incomplete. Since the whistle never blew, I'd figured you should be able to review it. Spurrier tried but was denied. I don't get this one.

2) The too many men on the field penalty that cost the Redskins a TD and a turnover. Obviously they called it for people coming off the sidelines. However, I've seen players stand on the edge of the field all the time when the play is at the other end and not have this called. Did Dallas players not come out as well? And was the penalty called in the exact 2 seconds between the fumble and when the Redskins recovered it? Seems like a short time and even if the Redskins did come onto the field, they would have possession at that point

3) The sniper comment play where Scott fell down. He was never touched it seemed and he threw down the ball. Is this not a fumble? I saw Plaxico Burress do the same thing his rookie year.

Three potential turnovers all nixed on at best questionable calls. Luckily the Redskins still won, but any one of these blown calls could have cost them the game.
Old 12-30-02, 11:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jericho
[B]A couple of answers/questions

3) For those that watched the game, there were several calls that I didn't understand. If you have any clarifications/takes on it

1) The "fumble" incompletion by McGee in the first quarter. I'm pretty sure it was TE Tony McGee that caught the ball, fumbled it, and the Redskins recovered. To my knowledge the officals never blew the play dead, but they ended up ruling the pass incomplete. Since the whistle never blew, I'd figured you should be able to review it. Spurrier tried but was denied. I don't get this one.
I taped the game .. well all skins games. The side judge who was right in front of the play did not initally make any signal and then after the play concluded defered to the downfield ref who indicated no catch. Obviously it was a catch and fumble and a blown call.

Of course by rule, if it is called incomplete play is not reviewable.
2) The too many men on the field penalty that cost the Redskins a TD and a turnover. Obviously they called it for people coming off the sidelines. However, I've seen players stand on the edge of the field all the time when the play is at the other end and not have this called. Did Dallas players not come out as well? And was the penalty called in the exact 2 seconds between the fumble and when the Redskins recovered it? Seems like a short time and even if the Redskins did come onto the field, they would have possession at that point
I never seen that one before. Possession was not established by either team so by default it goes to the team with less men on the field?

3) The sniper comment play where Scott fell down. He was never touched it seemed and he threw down the ball. Is this not a fumble? I saw Plaxico Burress do the same thing his rookie year.
When Scott dove the whistle blew. Once again the refs blew it. ( Although it could appear Ohalete pushed him down to the ref(he didn't) He was untouched. Dropped the ball and Ohalete picked it up. Should have been skins ball.
Old 12-31-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This entire season has been full of poor officiating.

Really frustrating too and the league must know it. They have stopped showing replays at Fed Ex field.
Old 12-31-02, 11:55 AM
Banned

This entire season has been full of poor officiating.

Really frustrating too and the league must know it. They have stopped showing replays at Fed Ex field.
Agreed! Even with instant replay, they still manage to foul things up.
Old 12-31-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rskinfn
I taped the game .. well all skins games. The side judge who was right in front of the play did not initally make any signal and then after the play concluded defered to the downfield ref who indicated no catch. Obviously it was a catch and fumble and a blown call.

Of course by rule, if it is called incomplete play is not reviewable.
I still don't understand this one. You basically saw what I saw. The guy didn't make a call until after the play concluded. Thus I find it impossible he blew the play dead with his whistle. Thus it SHOULD be reviewable.

It seems the refs blow at least one major call per game I watch by blowing the play dead, when they were incorrect with the call and thus not allowing for a review.

But in this case, it didn't seem like they did. Since the ref who's call it was didn't make any signal until after the play, I don't know how he could blow the play dead. And if he didn't, I see no reason why it can't be reviewed.

Obviously you can review a called incomplete pass to see if it was indeed correct. In fact I believce you can review anything that isn't either a) blown dead or b) a judgment call.