Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Running backs in the NFL

Old 12-29-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Running backs in the NFL

Anyone find it odd that the best RBs this year all failed to make the playoffs? If you look at many of the rushing leaders...

Priest Holmes
Clinton Portis
Duece McAllister
Ricky Williams
Ladanian Tomlinson

And they all missed. Granted Tiki Barber and Ahman Green did get in, but you'd usually associate a successful running game with a winning team, right? Just seems odd to me.
Old 12-30-02, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. That goes to show you it takes a whole team and not just one star to win.
Old 12-30-02, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That really is interesting. Here are the top 15 RBs and whether or not their in the playoffs

1. R Williams - Out
2. Tomlinson - Out
3. Holmes - Out
4. Barber - In
5. Henry - Out
6. Portis - Out
7. McCallister - Out
8. Dillon - Out
9. Lewis - Out
10. Taylor - Out
11. Bennett - Out
12. Green - In
13. Alexander - Out
14. George - In
15. Staley - In

So, 4 out of the of the top 15 are in teh playoffs. Obviously the running game is overrated.
Old 12-30-02, 12:52 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Realingment really screwd things up this year. Normally 9-7 is enough to get you in. This year Miami and NE are both out.

Normally you need a very good D and a QB that doesn't lose games for you to go with the strong running game to get into the playoffs. In Ricky Williams case the Ray Lucus games killed them and for Holmes KC doesn't have a defense.
Old 12-30-02, 01:56 AM
Banned

Williams' entire illustrious season gone to waste..
Old 12-30-02, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrX
Realingment really screwd things up this year. Normally 9-7 is enough to get you in. This year Miami and NE are both out.

Normally you need a very good D and a QB that doesn't lose games for you to go with the strong running game to get into the playoffs. In Ricky Williams case the Ray Lucus games killed them and for Holmes KC doesn't have a defense.
I don't see how realignment screwed things up. It's the same teams fighting for the same number of slots. The schedules are slightly different, but you look at Miami or New England they didn't have to play Indianapolis twice and instead got some other games.

Still it's just a function of having a lot of good and evenly matched teams in the AFC. I've seen 10-6 teams miss the playoffs and 8-8 teams make them. Some times you just have to be lucky.
Old 12-30-02, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mysterX
It's just sad. He was the best rusher in the NFL this year and the team didn't even make the playoffs. Like Da Thrilla said,it takes a team and not just one star to win.
Old 12-30-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrX
9-7 normally doesn't get a team in. Even without realignment, the Pats and Dolphins wouldn't have gotten in. Four teams won double-digit games in the AFC and 5 teams went 9-7. That means three teams are going to get left out.

Without realignment, the division winners would have been Indianapolis, Tennessee, and Oakland. Pittsburgh would get one wild card, then there would have been 5 teams that were 8-7, with two wild card spots. The Dolphins and Patriots still would have lost the tie breakers, just like now.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 12-30-02 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-30-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by k-qwick
It's just sad. He was the best rusher in the NFL this year and the team didn't even make the playoffs. Like Da Thrilla said,it takes a team and not just one star to win.
I'd favor Priest Holmes as the best runner personally, but Ricky had an awesome season. It's kind of funny though. You'd see these pieces on ESPN and stuff how Ricky was the missing link and such. And yet the Dolphins which routinely made the playoffs the last 5 years without Ricky, miss it with Ricky.

Doesn't take away from what Ricky did, but it is sort of funny unless your a Dolphins fan.
Old 12-30-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have two favorite teams, Miami and KC. This year has been full of pain for me.
Old 12-30-02, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As a Cowboy fan, I found it interesting to follow Miami once they picked up Ricky. They are starting to REALLY look like the Cowboys that won 3 Super Bowls. Now I said LOOK like. Not always PLAY like.

While Emmitt got much deserved credit for what he has done in Dallas, the Cowboys of OLD use to start games PASSING. Often take a deep shot here or there EARLY. This would loosen up the Defense and allow Emmitt to get started. The Defense HAD to respect the long ball (including those long slants) and could not stack the line.

If Miami could get a CONSISTANT passer to lossen up the defense, they could REALLY be scary. Think they will take a look at Jake Plumber? They won't have a draft pick high enough to draft a QB, so they may look at the Free agent market...
Old 12-30-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sdallnct

Think they will take a look at Jake Plumber? They won't have a draft pick high enough to draft a QB, so they may look at the Free agent market...
I hope so. Fiedler imo just doesn't cut it as a starter. He could be a lot better. Now if Plummer got out of Arizona, he could be a premier QB. So I hope Miami does take a look at him.
Old 12-30-02, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
I hope so. Fiedler imo just doesn't cut it as a starter. He could be a lot better. Now if Plummer got out of Arizona, he could be a premier QB. So I hope Miami does take a look at him.
It won't happen as long as long as that loser Wannstedt is coach.

I still think he could have gotten Williams and Bledsoe last year. Just imagine...
Old 12-30-02, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Goblincat

I still think he could have gotten Williams and Bledsoe last year. Just imagine...
Williams and Blesdoe would be a good pair...kind of like Warner and Faulk (from a couple years ago).
Old 12-31-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Goblincat

I'm going to have to disagree with Wanstedt being a looser. He does have a VERY specific offensive system. It takes the right people and a big, strong, MOBILE offensive line. I really think Miami is ON THE WAY.

Getting Williams was an INCREDIBLE move. And REALLY didn't give up that much (though if I remember, the draft pick they gave away moves up since Ricky did so well). In todays economic's it will be next to IMPOSSIBLE to pick up TWO players of THAT quality in Free agency. Getting ONE was a GREAT move.

Plumber is going to want to go somewhere where he doesn't have to carry the ENTIRE team on his shoulders. He is going to want to go to a pass friendly (but not necessarily ONLY passing) team. Jake is mobile, but NOT a runner. He is also going to want to win. Really, Miami would be a good fit. Living in AZ I have watched him a lot. I do think he can be a good to very good QB in the NFL, if he could just get out of AZ...
Old 12-31-02, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Passing and D seemed to be the most important this year,thank the Rams for exploiting the pass D the last few years,now other teams are doing the same thing like the Raiders.
Old 01-01-03, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree, the only problem that Miami has is that Fielder fool.. IN w/ the new QB. They are deffinatly very close to a SB championship team. I think...
Old 01-01-03, 03:12 AM
Premium Member

Sux to be Corey Dillon. Over 1,000 years easily each of his 6 years...

Has only missed 2 games in his career so far. To bad he is stuck on a dead team Could(a) been/be a great one...

PS: Whatever it takes, get outta Cincy!
Old 01-01-03, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He had a chance though last year... But his dumb ass signed a Extention....
Old 01-01-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dillion put this on himself he could have left,I guess he likes loseing or he was lied to.
Old 01-01-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by mysterX
Im sure the saints dont consider william's numbers this past season a waste

wasnt the round of the traded draft pick dependent on williams' stats for the season?
Old 01-02-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SnoopDogg
He didn't have much of a chance. He was a restricted free agent and anyone that signed him had to give up two first-rounders I believe. No one wanted to touch him with that (plus I believe Cincy could also match the offer)

As for Fiedler, it is ironic he has the best win-loss record of any NFL QB playing (or at least did a few weeks ago). But I'd agree that if they'd replace him, Miami could be much better. An actual pass attack would be great.

But I don't think Plummer fits the system too well. He can succeed in it, but Miami will be a run first ball control team and Plummer has been prone to interceptions and likes to pass. Don't know what other options are out there.
Old 01-02-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk God

He would have been franchised had he not signed the extention. Franchise players are essentially stuck - there has only been 2 or 3 occasions where a franchise player has been signed by another team (which must forfeit 2 1st round picks as compensation).
Old 01-02-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree, the only problem that Miami has is that Fielder fool.. IN w/ the new QB. They are deffinatly very close to a SB championship team. I think...
By this statement I'll assume you decided against watching the Dolphin games in the Ray Lucas era?

If Fielder were healthy, Miami would easily have won 10 or 11 and been in. He's not a championship QB, but he's all you need when you have Ricky Williams tearing it up.
Old 01-03-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Joeboo835
That really is interesting. Here are the top 15 RBs and whether or not their in the playoffs

1. R Williams - Out
2. Tomlinson - Out
3. Holmes - Out
4. Barber - In
5. Henry - Out
6. Portis - Out
7. McCallister - Out
8. Dillon - Out
9. Lewis - Out
10. Taylor - Out
11. Bennett - Out
12. Green - In
13. Alexander - Out
14. George - In
15. Staley - In

So, 4 out of the of the top 15 are in teh playoffs. Obviously the running game is overrated.
I think a more accurate picture of the situation would be to look at total team rushing offenses instead of just the top RBs. Then, if you look at the top 15, you'd have teams like the 49ers (who use 2 main RBs) and the Falcons (who use Michael Vick) up there.

Team (YPG) *=playoff team
1. Minnesota (156.7)
2. Miami (156.4)
3. Kansas City (148.6)
*4. Atlanta (148.0)
5. Denver (141.6)
*6. San Francisco (140.2)
*7. Philadelphia (138.8)
8. San Diego (133.6)
*9. Pittsburgh (132.5)
10. Jacksonville (130.6)
*11. Tennessee (122.0)
*12. Green Bay (120.8)
13. Washington (118.1)
*14. New York (N) (117.2)
15. Arizona (113.9)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.