Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Why do punt coverage teams ...

Old 12-28-02, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why do punt coverage teams ...

... rush to grab a rolling ball like the coach will give them a cookie if they're first?

Note that I don't mean when the ball is about to go into the end zone or is clearly bouncing back towards the coverage team. I mean when they're trying to run time off the clock. They're up by a few points, and there's less than a minute on the clock ... the punter booms it, and the ball is rolling around sideways, and there are 8 guys surrounding it. The clock doesn't stop until the ball is touched or stops moving, and yet the coverage team goes out of their way to grab the ball ... why?

This has never made sense to me. In fact, at the end of the half in the Giants game, this very thing happened ... and you could see one of the players waving his arms around trying to keep his teammates from touching the ball (it was running time off the clock), and still 4 guys reached down to pick it up. He was visibly pissed.

Am I missing something here, because we see this all the time ... and I've never heard an announcer mention it. They spend all that effort running down the clock and then waste a chance to milk another 5 seconds off the punt.

das
Old 12-28-02, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks likes KC must have read your post
Old 12-28-02, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well ... look at that. The exact scenario I described just happened, and the Chiefs got it right. They surrounded the ball and waited while another 4-5 seconds ticked off the clock before the official blew the whistle.

das
Old 12-28-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Copenhagen
Looks likes KC must have read your post

das
Old 12-28-02, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always wondered why punt coverage teams seems to rush like a bat out of hell to down punts by the endzone. Obviously you have to get down there fast. But I've seen countless times where the punt either died on its own inside the 5 or someguy knocked down and it effectively is dead, yet some not-so bright guy comes down field at full speed,lands on the ball, and the momentum carries him in the endzone. Effectively killing all the effort done by his teammates.

I also wonder why teams don't just chuck the ball out of bounds sometimes. If you're close enough to the sidelines, just tip/swap/throw the ball out of bounds before you go into the endzone.

Just like the examples you mentioned, some punt coverafe leads things to be desired.