Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

ABC and televised sports

Old 12-26-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ABC and televised sports

so i watched the Nets/Celtics game and i swear it sounds like the most boring game in the world. moments of dead silence. annouce team of Elliot and Musberger mades Costas sound good as a basketball announcer. sure it was a blow out game but they just sounded dead. and it made for terrible tv.

later in the evening, i'm watching the Laker game and flipping back and forth to the UH/Tulane game on Disney owned ESPN. during the Laker game they've got these fancy new shots and angles which look absolutely lame. the overhead flyby, the floor cam, roof cam, lookit at the people eating cam, etc. they do this during the action. it was awful, not too mention having to put up with Walton's comments and Tolbert's reports.

i already hate the scheduling that ABC has for the NBA, but this just took the cake.

then.. the UH/Tulane game was worse. it felt like i was watching local cable sports high school football. shots of nobody when there was a questionable call, instant replay took minutes to get going, constantly getting shots of bench players while the action is happening on the field. is ABC spreading itself too thin to care about proper television coverage for games? or did i happen across only a couple bad games and the rest are ok?
Old 12-27-02, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I'm not sure about the state of ABC basketball, their college football is usually pretty solid. Brett Musberger (sp?) is a pretty good play-by-play guy.

As for that Lakers-Kings game, it was absolutely awful broadcasting. The floor camera is simply useless. Who cares from that view? Further, I hate Walton. Tolbert usually isn't too bad (football), but Walton is just horrendous. He goes from criticizing a team, calling them a complete disgrace, to the next minute (when the tides have turned) to calling the same team one of the most dynamic offenses in NBA history. Make up your mind.
Old 12-27-02, 12:30 AM
Suspended

I agree that floor cam is LAME. its absolutely worthless, as well as Walton!
Old 12-27-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Don't know why you are surprised - the NBA is boring to watch. No announcer or camera angle could make it exciting.

I actually like Musburger, especially on college football. I still long for days of Brent, Irv, Phyllis, and Jimmy the Greek on The NFL Today.
Old 12-27-02, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog

I actually like Musburger, especially on college football. I still long for days of Brent, Irv, Phyllis, and Jimmy the Greek on The NFL Today. [/B]

Old 12-27-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the floor cam sucks balls, need to get rid of it
Old 12-27-02, 01:25 PM
Suspended

Don't know why you are surprised - the NBA is boring to watch. No announcer or camera angle could make it exciting.

I actually like Musburger, especially on college football. I still long for days of Brent, Irv, Phyllis, and Jimmy the Greek on The NFL Today.
Old 12-27-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by MJKTool

I'll crap on any ESPN/ABC and NBA threads. That stupid contract means less college hoops and NHL on ESPN and ABC.
Old 12-27-02, 01:36 PM
Suspended

You know I dont care for college sports at all and think THEY SUCK, but do you see me craping in those threads?
Old 12-27-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by MJKTool
You know I dont care for college sports at all and think THEY SUCK, but do you see me craping in those threads?

If you did, I would simply ignore it. Not that hard.
Old 12-27-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't know why you are surprised - the NBA is boring to watch.
uh yeah... but when i hate the NFL & NHL what else is there to watch?

then keep him on college football. i'd rather listen to walton and costas til my ears bleed.
Old 12-27-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you did, I would simply ignore it. Not that hard.
couldn't follow your own advice huh?