Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Deion might join Oakland for the playoffs

Old 12-23-02, 11:46 AM
Banned

Deion might join Oakland for the playoffs

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...rs_raiders_ap/

Well, with C. Woodson and Tory James out or limited plays, it's a good move I suppose. Thoughts?
Old 12-23-02, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WTF?
Old 12-23-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When I heard this, I didn't know what to think. From an athletic standpoint, I have no doubt Deion can compete and be effective, and as a Raider fan, I'll take whatever I can get ... but this whole coming out of retirement for they playoffs thing rubs me the wrong way. A lot of guys have worked their asses off to get to this point.

das
Old 12-23-02, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"I may come back to a playoff team..."
Uhh.... sorry, but that's stretching it.
Old 12-23-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know. You sure the toe is ready?
Old 12-23-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

hell.. I may be willing to join a team for the superbowl also!
Old 12-23-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
When I heard this, I didn't know what to think. From an athletic standpoint, I have no doubt Deion can compete and be effective, and as a Raider fan, I'll take whatever I can get ... but this whole coming out of retirement for they playoffs thing rubs me the wrong way. A lot of guys have worked their asses off to get to this point.

das
That's typical Deion. He did all he could to avoid training camp year after year with his forays into baseball. And let's not even discuss his tackling ability, or lack thereof
Old 12-23-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Raiders will have to get permission from the Redskins if they want SlimeTime. He's still under contract (although listed as Retired Reserve).

Maybe the Skins can finagle a draft pick or two out of the Raiders.

--------------------------------------------

Club may file charge over Deion
By Rick Snider and Jody Foldesy
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Washington Redskins are considering whether to file tampering charges against the Oakland Raiders for contacting former Redskins cornerback Deion Sanders in violation of NFL rules.
The Redskins own the rights to Sanders, who said yesterday he has discussed the possibility of coming out of retirement to join the Raiders for the playoffs. The Raiders admitted yesterday that they had contacted Sanders.
The Redskins placed Sanders on the "reserve retired" list last year after he refused to report to new coach Marty Schottenheimer and retain his rights indefinitely. The Raiders were required by NFL rules to get the Redskins' permission before contacting Sanders. Redskins sources said the club was not aware that the Raiders were pursuing the Pro Bowl cornerback.
The Redskins last night still were analyzing statements made by Sanders on CBS' "The NFL Today" show, where he has been a studio host for two seasons, in an effort to determine whether they should request sanctions against the Raiders by the league.
The NFL could strip the Raiders of a draft choice or fine them for the infraction.
"I may come back to a playoff team," Sanders said on "The NFL Today." "I've made contact, I have spoken to my attorney, we have spoken to the Oakland Raiders."
The chances of Sanders making a comeback with the Raiders appear to be slim because the Redskins will seek compensation before releasing his rights.
The Redskins could ask Sanders to return the $7.5million of his signing bonus that remains; he earlier returned $500,000 of the bonus to the club as a settlement for breach of contract. That $7.5million would far outweigh any deal "Prime Time" could get from the Raiders.
The Redskins can't trade Sanders because the NFL deadline has passed, but they could deal the rights to him for next season in return for draft picks. Few teams would be willing to make such a trade for an aging corner who might play only one season.
Sanders said he announced the negotiations on air because he didn't want the news to be broken elsewhere. A Raiders official and Sanders' agent, Eugene Parker, confirmed to ESPN that discussions had taken place, but neither said a contract was offered.
Sanders said he would be interested in returning for the playoffs but that he wasn't looking for a season-long commitment.
"I could get off of this desk right now and cover," Sanders said. "I would never come back for a full season because I love my job. But it is intriguing for a playoff run, when it all counts. I like that aspect of it. I'm praying about it, I really am."
The Raiders need help in their secondary, someone to play alongside Pro Bowl safety Rod Woodson. Cornerback Charles Woodson is hampered by a cracked fibula in his right leg, and Tory James could return from a similar injury to play in the season finale against Kansas City on Sunday.
Sanders, 35, signed a blockbuster deal with the Redskins in 2000 that included an $8million bonus. The seven-time Pro Bowl player was beaten for only one touchdown as a Redskin, but he seldom made big plays.
After Schottenheimer was hired in January 2001, Sanders refused to report for offseason camps and even briefly played for baseball's Cincinnati Reds.
However, Sanders wasn't on a major league roster when training camp began; if he had been, he would have been exempt from playing for the Redskins until midseason. Sanders decided to retire rather than play under what he and other veterans considered to be Schottenheimer's heavy-handed style.

Last edited by Foole; 12-23-02 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-23-02, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just heard on our local sports radio that Dan Snyder is all for the Raiders going after Deion, and that he wouldn't file tampering charges. The Skins let the guy walk away with 7.5 million and they aren't even going to try and get anything back from him? I guess it's decisions like this that cause us to miss the playoffs year after year.
Old 12-23-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Danny Boy is such a boob.

Oh Jack Kent Cooke - why did you have to die???
Old 12-23-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really wish there were roster regulations with the NFL like baseball has. This gun-for-hire stuff for the playoffs seems to happen every year and really insults those who have busted their asses all season to get teams to the point they are at.
Old 12-23-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by El Scorcho
I really wish there were roster regulations with the NFL like baseball has. This gun-for-hire stuff for the playoffs seems to happen every year and really insults those who have busted their asses all season to get teams to the point they are at.

If you have the cap room, I don't see a problem with it. I don't know if I would characterize Deion as a 'gun for 'hire' anymore. He hasn't played in 2 years and when he last played, he was repeatedly getting torched. Heck - look at Cris Carter in Miami - he has sucked - in fact, he was the goat on Saturday.
Old 12-23-02, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Red Dog
Oh Jack Kent Cooke - why did you have to die???
Nice to see the Skins honor him by renaming Jack Kent Cooke Stadium to Fed Ex Field.
Old 12-23-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Timber
I just heard on our local sports radio that Dan Snyder is all for the Raiders going after Deion, and that he wouldn't file tampering charges.

Scrolled across the ESPN ticker ... "Redskings place CB Deion Sanders on Waivers"

das
Old 12-23-02, 06:47 PM
Retired

It stinks for the third stringers that are getting to play now, but I could care less. I want the Raider's to win a Super Bowl ring, and Deion will likely improve their chances.

Sure he'll be rusty, but one of the best DBs ever a little rusty is better than the guys currently playing.
Old 12-23-02, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-23-02, 08:15 PM

If he can play and he is better than the guy out there on the field now then let him play. The NFL has never been a place where you let someone who has less skill play a position because it is the fair thing to do, the NFL is a business and winning is the bottom line. I am first a Dolphins fan so I really don't need Oakland to get a better defense since we may have to meet them in the playoffs, but I also like the Raiders and am hoping that if the Dolphins choke that we get a Tampa Oakland Superbowl since I would love to see Chucky go against the Raiders.
Old 12-23-02, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk God

maybe philadelphia should try to get bradshaw for the playoffs
Old 12-23-02, 11:28 PM

I would have thought the Dolphins going for Aikman would have been a joke before I saw Lucas Play, so Prime time might be an improvement on their current corners. I would rather see Chambers go against the same corners he burned in their regular season matchup though.
Old 12-24-02, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

bring in deion.......up to par or not he's probably better then most of the backups we got
Old 12-24-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by El Scorcho
When has this ever happened before? I mean teams always have injuries and are constantly signing and cutting players, just like the 49ers cut Jose cortez two weeks ago. Still I can't remember a big name guy like this signing the week before the playoffs. Obviously you'd take a huge risk that he could do the job. The signings of Carter and Sanders this year seem like anamoly as there's usually not that kind of talent out there.

Still, I don't understand why another team just wouldn't claim him on waivers. It would be the smart thing to do.
Old 12-24-02, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jericho
Still, I don't understand why another team just wouldn't claim him on waivers. It would be the smart thing to do.
His career was wanning into the second season with the Boys. Why the Skins sign him, I have no clue.
Old 12-24-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Probably because he sucks so they want him to go to Oakland.
Old 12-24-02, 12:50 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Because they'd have to pay him whatever money is left on the contract, plus he's not that good anymore.
Old 12-25-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrX
Because they'd have to pay him whatever money is left on the contract, plus he's not that good anymore.
Actually no one has to pay him anything. That's why every AFC playoff team should claim him. And basically that's what happened

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.