Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Welcome John L. Smith...

Old 12-20-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Welcome John L. Smith...

So, apparently this guy is the new head coach for MSU.

I know there are some Louisville people in this forum. Is this guy good? He appears to have a solid record, but nothing amazing. I am just wondering what to look for. Discipline or otherwise.

And feel free to complain about their loss or States methodology of hiring, I can take it!
Old 12-20-02, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure what to think of this...i was hoping for Randy Shannon or someone with more of a name, but Smith seems solid enough. It just seems strange that they could waith 6 weeks and then all of a sudden HAVE to hire him immediately before anyone else does. Was he really that hot a commodity? Mason claims that Washington State was interested, but come on....even if he did go elsewhere there has to be many candidates of similar stature waiting for their phones to ring.

That said, my initial feeling is that since everyone is skeptical and disappointed, he'll turn out to be a great coach...it seems like anyone heralded in the past hasn't worked out at all, so maybe this time we got one that will stay for more than 3 or 4 years (yeah, i'm talking to you Saban) and build a solid program to compliment what Izzo has done with basketball. He sounds like a headstrong disciplinarian, and that is one thing the Spartans' DEFINATELY need....
Old 12-20-02, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

btw jon...are we the only resident Spartans on this board?
Old 12-20-02, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently,

I just find it funny that the could have kept Saban for 800K, but now have to pay this guy 1.1 million/year!!

I hope he works out.
Old 12-20-02, 11:31 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Ron Turner called Smith's Louisville team the dirtiest team he's ever coached against. I can't believe MSU couldn't do better then him.
Old 12-21-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well this is a promising start:

http://www.freep.com/sports/michstat...1_20021221.htm

a couple of snippets:

He doesn't like the block "S" on helmets and wants to replace it with the Sparty emblem. Former coach Bobby Williams changed the helmet logo from the Sparty to the "S," which wasn't popular with some fans. "Is it politically incorrect for me to say I hate that 'S'?" Smith asked. "I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that."

Smith doesn't like the stripes on uniforms, which MSU added this year. "Put us in a uniform that's plain and simple and signifies who we are, and let's go to the field and play," he said. "I don't need all these weird stripes everywhere."

That's awesome...I hate the stupid S, and the new uniforms were hideous....he also says no one will where the #1 on MSU as long as he's coach....another pretty cool move imho.
Old 12-22-02, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"I didn't want to upset the Michigan people right off," Smith said, smiling. "But we're in the second day now. So from now on anybody that's a Michigan grad, no questions. Because anybody from there has got to be stupid, don't they?"
Did he just call me stupid?

As a Michigan fan - I welcome Mr. Smith with open arms. A coach whose team has been top 5 in penalties 3 times in the last 5 years - exactly what MSU needs!
Old 12-22-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by brizz

He doesn't like the block "S" on helmets and wants to replace it with the Sparty emblem. Former coach Bobby Williams changed the helmet logo from the Sparty to the "S," which wasn't popular with some fans. "Is it politically incorrect for me to say I hate that 'S'?" Smith asked. "I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that."
I don't believe that is true! The helmet logo has just been a 'S' for as long as I can remember. Bobby didn't change that, just the jerseys.

I hope the Sparty design doesn't come off cheesy. I like the simple 'S'. Kinda historical IMHO.

Another ironic thing, Smith retired #1 because "the team is numer 1, not an individual" which I agree with. But then he wants to start putting stickers on helmets for outstanding plays! Isn't rewarding an individual? I like the idea, but it seems the coach is kinda contradicting himself already.
Old 12-22-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

actually, some time in the 90s they changed the helmet to the spartan logo....and williams changed it back to the 'S' in his first year - i remember reading that they did it because it was more 'traditional.' Never mind that the Spartan logo looks ten times better i guess....the S is lame imho....
Old 12-23-02, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thats correct brizz,

The old helmet:

The current helmet:

For some reason, all I can imagine is some kind of cartoon Sparty on the helmet, which would be dumb, but going back to the classic outline would be fine.