Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Report: Astros sign Kent to a 2-year deal

Old 12-18-02, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Report: Astros sign Kent to a 2-year deal

According to reports from MLB.com and Houston TV station KRIV. It's a 2 year deal, with an option for a 3rd year. The Astros have scheduled a press conference for Wednesday afternoon but didn't say what the topic of it will be.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1218/1478962.html

That makes this Astros fan happy. Just the other day I was telling a friend of mine the Astros aren't going to do anything next year because they never sign any free agents. I'm glad I was wrong about that.

In other NL Central news today, the Cardinals signed Joe Girardi, and the Cubs signed Troy O'Leary, each to one-year deals.
Old 12-18-02, 12:55 PM
Banned

Good for Kent. It's either Bonds or Kent must go in San Francisco.
Old 12-18-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most news stories report that he will play 3rd and leave 2nd for Biggio. However, Peter Gammons on the radio this morning sees Biggio going to LF so Kent can play 2nd.
Old 12-18-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Biggio to LF? That's interesting. I assumed Kent would go to 3rd, and Biggio would stay at 2nd. But Gammons may know something. Interesting.
Old 12-18-02, 02:44 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Good riddance. I can't wait to see this a-hole fall on his face in Houston. My condolences are with the Astros.
Old 12-18-02, 02:46 PM

Biggio is living on the edge now. His numbers sucked last season and he'll be even older and slower this season.

He'll be 37 this upcoming season... that always seems like the magical age where production drops off the cliff, see Brady Anderson at age 37.

Now is the time to say good bye to Biggio.
Old 12-18-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ranger02
Biggio is living on the edge now. His numbers sucked last season and he'll be even older and slower this season.

He'll be 37 this upcoming season... that always seems like the magical age where production drops off the cliff, see Brady Anderson at age 37.

Now is the time to say good bye to Biggio.
I have no problem whatsoever with the Astros adding pop to their line-up. However, I see some major issues with this at this early point. First of all, yes, Biggio is on the downhill slide. What makes it frustrating is that, while the Astros' attitudes are always admired by those who don't live in Houston, Biggio is a well-known clubhouse politician who becomes very upset when he isn't allowed to lead-off. Of course, his production doesn't warrant either leading off or batting in the two hole. But you can't put him lower in the line-up without him going to Drayton and having McLane pressure the manager into changing his mind. And you can't trade Biggio due to his status, contract, and age. Left field gives him a small territory to cover, but leaves you with, yet again, a glut of corner outfielders and no sign of a true speedy CF lead-off man in sight.

In Richard Hidalgo, we have a non-producer with a huge paycheck occupying a corner outfield spot due to bad legs, and Daryle Ward is not suited for left much less a platoon in right. So Biggio at LF, Ward/Hidalgo in RF, and that leaves Lance Berkman in center. That makes zero sense. Lance has made some fantastic plays in center, putting his body on the line. However, he makes those plays that anyone with the least amount of speed could make with no diving neccesary. So in Berkman you are sacrificing your franchise player by having him risk injury lumbering around one of the biggest CFs in the majors.

The only true pop in the order other than Berkman comes from Bagwell, who will never again be a superstar due to degenerative arthiritis in his throwing shoulder. Watching him gun a twelve hopper to third makes my shoulder hurt, and his power to the opposite field, which has always made him a truly dangerous hitter, will soon be gone. Again, however, there is no room on most AL clubs from a DH making $17 million a year. But that has nothing to do with this situation.

I applaud Hunsicker, though, for pulling this one out. Love him or hate him, Kent is a considerable signing for the Astros given McLane's stranglehold on his wallet despite huge promises to the fans who supported him in his bid to build Coors Light. At least they are trying. Ward will hopefully be traded this off season for bullpen help. We'll see how the rest works out.

Last edited by Mad Dawg; 12-18-02 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-18-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They are moving Biggio to the outfield so Kent can play 2nd.

I'm suprised Houston is shelling out the money. They are deferring almost 1/2 of it untill 2005-06 though!
Old 12-18-02, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kent at 2nd. Try Biggio at center so Berkman can relax more in left. Hidalgo/Ward/Lane fight it out for right field. Probably a platoon of all three. Hidalgo won't play if he sucks. Ward only gets a few more chances to be the power hitter he's supposed to be. Lane is an up and comer who has a lot of promise. But nothing proven.

Yes, we still don't have a center fielder, but I'd rather see Biggio in center than Berkman.

For the record, signing Kent still doesn't give me much hope for the season. The role players will have to step up big time, and that's assuming Kent, Bags, and Berkman have great seasons. I don't think Blum, Biggio, Lugo, and Ausmus (the double play king) can provide enough offense.

Oswalt and Miller still looking great though.

stoolie
Old 12-18-02, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting.

I think San Francisco is going to come out looking pretty good on this one.
Old 12-18-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
Interesting.

I think San Francisco is going to come out looking pretty good on this one.
Either way, if they had signed Kent, or they hadn't, I'm happy that they didn't sit on their hands and put all their hopes into resigning Kent. Sabean was proactive in rebuilding a team that made it to the World Series. Especially when you lose your manager of 10 years who was a hugely popular figure.

Anyway, good luck to Jeff Kent with the Astros. He was always one of my favorite players on the Giants, partially because he played college ball at Cal, and mostly because of his blue-collar attitude and hard play on the field.
Old 12-18-02, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sabean said today that the Giants final offer to Kent on Sunday was for 2 years- 20 mil and kent turned it down. I hope he enjoys the short porch in left. He's probably popin' wheelies on his ranch right now. Vroom Vrooooom.
Old 12-19-02, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by briank
I'm suprised Houston is shelling out the money. They are deferring almost 1/2 of it untill 2005-06 though!
Me too. But Kent actually had his agent go to the winter meetings and get something going with the Astros, and it was his decision to defer the money. He wanted to go to Houston (his offseason home is in Austin and he likes hitting at Minute Maid).
Old 12-19-02, 10:38 AM

It'll be interesting to see how Biggio's outfield transition will turnout.
Old 12-19-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Biggio has played some outfield before. Art Howe put him in center when the Stros played at the Dome, and he did quite well. He's not Jim Edmonds or anything, but he is adequate.