Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Dec. 18 GMAC Bowl

Old 12-18-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dec. 18 GMAC Bowl

Vs.

What will happen: The Cards have been inexplicably flat over the month. UL head coach John L. Smith has termed this the "season from hell", but all can change with a win over the Herd. Marshall hasn't been blowing out the decent teams, so this should be relatively close. In the end, Leftwich has too many weapons to work with and the offense is humming too well. If Leftwich was able to throw for 400+ yards when injured, just imagine how many he'll throw for when he's not as hurt. Don't discount a great performance by the Louisville defense, but Marshall has a way of winning bowl games like this.

CFN Prediction: Marshall 34 ... Louisville 31

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2002/Bowls/GMAC.htm

I think this will actually be worth watching. Louisville is not a bad team, and it will be great to see what Leftwitch does is his last game before becoming the next Cincinnati Bengals failure.
Old 12-18-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't think Leftwich has to worry about being a Bengal. I think Carson Palmer is the one biting his nails about that.
Old 12-18-02, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I expect a lot of points in this one. It won't beat out last years GMAC bowl, but it should be an exciting one to watch.

Go Thundering Herd!
Old 12-18-02, 02:49 PM

Blah!

I'm only going to root for the Blundering Turd because it's good for the MAC.

I hope Louisville gets a few shots in on Byron Leftwich, I can't stand that fat a-hole. Maybe when he kisses his biceps or does the six shooter with his fingers, a Louisville lineman will just level his arse.
Old 12-18-02, 06:17 PM
Retired

Marshall wins a shootout. Neither team has much of a defense.
Old 12-18-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dull game so far. Leftwich can barely walk and just isn't the same. Marshall's defense is shutting down Louisville.
Old 12-18-02, 09:04 PM
Retired

Yeah, looks like I was off with the shoot out predicition.

I figured Leftwich would be in better shape, and Marshall's D is either better than I gave them credit for or Louisville's O not as good as I gave them credit for.
Old 12-18-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This game is ugly. 21 combined penalties for almost 200 yards. Ugh.
Old 12-18-02, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah ... ugly game. This is one of the things I really dislike about the bowls. Teams finish their seasons and either have a huge letdown or a long delay come bowl time. Makes for lots of sloppy (and unpredictable) football.

das
Old 12-19-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ranger02,
Nice post. I can't remember the last time I saw a post that reeked with so much jealously. The "blundering turd" you say? Considering Marshall is one of the most successful football programs in the last 15 years, I'd say a lot of teams would like to blunder like this turd. The fact is, if you're a true MAC fan, you should thank Marshall every day that they picked the MAC to join. They've brought more respect and attention to this conference than they've ever had. Bottom line: this is a much better conference now that Marshall is here. But I guess jealously is to be expected from some MAC fans. This little team from West Virginia has pretty much dominated the conference since joining. It must be tough for some to see them beat the crap out of one MAC team after another, year after year, and receive as much media attention as they get. And win 5 bowl games in a row.

And Leftwich is a fat a**hole, huh? I can see why you'd think so. He's a good student, a truly decent human being who never gets in trouble off the field, a 100% team player and tough as nails with a heart as big as a mountain and possibly the best football player to ever come out of the MAC. Yeah, what an incredible jerk!
Old 12-19-02, 06:50 PM

I have nothing against Marshall. I'm a Toledo fan/student and like this little rivalry. I like Marshall in the MAC. I'd like to see Eastern, Ohio U, Kent, Akron, and Central out of the MAC.

"It must be tough for some to see them beat the crap out of one MAC team after another, year after year, and receive as much media attention as they get. And win 5 bowl games in a row."
Ummm... that's a bunch of crap. They can win at Huntington, and with there been alot of controversial issues with that. Marshall is the only MAC team allowed to hire/use their own red officials for home games. Had the Miami-Marshall game been in Oxford, Miami would have won. Had the Toledo-Marshall championship game been played at an neutral site, Toledo would have won. The officiating in those two games were quite questionable.

"And Leftwich is a fat a**hole, huh? I can see why you'd think so. He's a good student, a truly decent human being who never gets in trouble off the field, a 100% team player and tough as nails with a heart as big as a mountain and possibly the best football player to ever come out of the MAC. Yeah, what an incredible jerk!"
Pshhh... maybe if you get your head out of Leftwich's butt, you'll know how much crap that is. There are alot of players out there that are good students/decent humans beings that don't get into trouble off the field so quite blowing smoke up Leftwich's...

I'll tell you what he lacks in, thats sportsmanship. The "six shooter" and kissing his flabby arms on national tv was terrible, so yeah, he is a fat a-hole. I hope he gets drafted by the Bengals so his career is over before it starts.

(Oh yeah, last year at Toledo when Marshall and Leftwich didn't have the biased official luxury, what happened at that Championship game? That's right, Toledo won)
Old 12-21-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A Toledo student, huh? Well, that explains alot...ha ha ha!

Let's go to the facts, shall we? Since joining the MAC in 1997, Marshall's overall record is 65-13. Their MAC conference record is 46-7. Their MAC road record is 16-6 (not bad. I guess "Marshall's refs" travel with them on the road, too). Toledo's MAC road record is just a few games over .500 during that span. In their 6 years in the MAC, Marshall has gone to 6 bowl games, winning the last 5 in a row (Marshall must have figured out a way to have their refs do the bowl games as well). They've had 3 candidates for the Heisman trophy, and will end up with 3 first round picks in the NFL draft.
But, hey. Like you said. I guess all this is because Marshall can only win at home with their own referees.

Listen, it's all in good fun. The MAC is a much stronger conference than the nation gives them credit for. And not just because of Marshall, but because of Toledo, Bowling Green, Miami, Ohio, UCF, etc. There's lots of talent here and I think this conference will just keep getting stronger. So I'm certainly going to keep rooting for those MAC teams. GO TOLEDO!
Old 12-21-02, 04:57 PM
Retired

People bickering over MAC teams.

For the record, I'm from WV and hate Marshall.

Never had a problem with them until Pruett stating giving WVU crap over not wanting to play them when Marshall backed out of the final two games of a three game contract and screwed WVU into having to find replacements. Then he has the nerve to want WVU to play in Huntington, in a stadium that seats around 20,000 less than Mountaineer field. On top of that he wants WVU to pay Marshall a hell of a lot more than we pay other MAC teams. Screw that.

Until Marshall gets in a real conference and gets a real Division I stadium, they play WVU in Morgantown for the standard MAC fee, or don't play them at all. Especially after breaking the previous contract.
Old 12-28-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe if Marshall asks nice, WVU can give us advice on how to choke in bowl games. We've only won 5 bowls in the last 5 years. I'm not sure WVU has won 5 in the last 20 years. Maybe in the last 25 years, but I'm not even sure about that.
Old 12-28-02, 10:08 PM
Retired

The way to choke in bowl games is to play real teams from real conferences in bowl games.