Mike Price to coach Alabama

Old 12-17-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mike Price to coach Alabama

More details to come.

(And damn, the boards are SLOW)
Old 12-17-02, 08:41 PM
Retired

Good. Now I don't have to worry about Rodriguez leaving WVU. Kentucky has contacted him, but I don't think there's much chance he'd consider it. WVU would likely be able to meet any offer they could make, and WVU is a more prestigious job.

BTW, the boards are running pretty quick for me.
Old 12-17-02, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Boards are running fine for me too.

Bad hire in my opinion. Alabama should have waited for Mike Riley. People must have forgotton that in 1998-2000, the Cougars were at the bottom of Pac-10. As a Cougar alumnus, I can say that Price makes some really odd play calls a lot of times. He's going a bit senile.

He should be able to recruit fine though. You have to be a good recruiter to be able to get people to want to come play in Pullman Washington, population 28,000 (20,000 of which are students) and 75 miles from the nearest sign of life (other than Moscow Idaho )

Hopefully WSU can pick up Mike Riley before UCLA (or anyone else) does. I'd love to have him coach us.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 12-17-02 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-17-02, 09:21 PM
Retired

Has Riley every been succesful?

On PTI when he was still the leading candidate for Bama, Wilbon questioned why, saying he's only had losing seasons at WSU and with the Chargers.

But I'm sure he neglected to mention previous jobs as you don't just start head coaching at a major conference Division I school.
Old 12-17-02, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Riley never coached at WSU. He was head coach at Oregon State when Oregon State began the turn from perennial doormat to a good team. He was a very good recruiter, even at a program that struggled for so long like Oregon State. He left after two years though, so his record there is a bit misleading. It was basically all Mike Riley recruits that played on the team that went 11-1 and destroyed Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. The team was 14-62 in the 7 years before he got there.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 12-17-02 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-17-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk God

i dont know what to think about this one
a pac10 offense in the sec? or at bama??
i dont see the alumni going for an offense that tries to get wins by out scoring their opponents (you know what I mean)
bama has always been a defensive team that would run the ball and control the clock. and this has been the key to their success.
but price will now have the prestige of the school to try and bring in top prospects to build that offense.. if this he really got it going, it could be bad news.
hopefully the alumni has fits about this and it causes alot of problems with the system

stupid bama!
Old 12-17-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would think that Alabama would be able to get a more established and better coach.
Old 12-17-02, 09:51 PM
Retired

Oops, I meant OSU, not WSU. Brain fart.

Still, being a good recruiter is one thing, but I'd still be skeptical of hiring him if he hasn't won as a head coach, regardless of how his recruits performed under a new staff. I mean he could be a great recruiter, but not good at developing game plans and getting the team prepared for big games. Maybe OSU wouldn't have been as successful if he had stayed? Of course I'm not saying they wouldn't have, just that we have no way of knowing. If his 2 years at OSU and few with the Chargers is all he has, I'd be skeptical of hiring him as he hasn't shown that he can win as a head coach, just that he's a good recruiter.
Old 12-18-02, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always been impressed with Mike Price from the perspective of a Pac-10 opponent team's fan. Although he's had up and down years, you do have to remember that he's recruiting for a very small town in the middle of nowhere, and the where the weather really sucks most of the year. Yet, he's been able to put together several Rose Bowl years in the past few years.

I guess I'm also looking at it from the perspective of a team that hasn't gone in nearly 50 years.
Old 12-18-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why would bama want a coach that lies to his players about staying?
Old 12-18-02, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by hypeiv
Why would bama want a coach that lies to his players about staying?
What coach hasn't?
Old 12-18-02, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mnguye10
What coach hasn't?
hehe... next time i will use my [sarcasm] tag... Bama fans were like "We don't want a guy like fan anyway. He lies to his players and abandoned our team. We don't want a guy like that here at Bama."

So I just think its ironic
Old 12-18-02, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by twikoff

i dont see the alumni going for an offense that tries to get wins by out scoring their opponents (you know what I mean)
soo tempted to say something....
Old 12-18-02, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Why is Mike Riley such a hot commodity? He has had a losing record as a HC in college and in the pros.

Good hire for 'Bama. I have to question Mike Price on this one though - isn't Bama supposed to get sacked with even more penalties. I've heard talk that only their great tradition is saving from getting the death penalty.
Old 12-18-02, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, Notre Dame plays WSU at home first game of the year next year...hopefully they'll be shaky without Price, but since WSU promoted from within they should remain pretty stable with the same system and everything.
Old 12-18-02, 02:12 PM

Watching a live announcement right now on this. Price just called this "the premier job in the world."
And now he just said he plans on hiring some assistant coaches with previous ties to Bama. (in other words "I'm being pressured to get someone on staff with ties to the Bear, because even now that is some weird holy commandment.")
Old 12-18-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"I'm not going to UCLA because I can't take you with me and you're the reason I got here.' - Mike Price to his players, 12/14/2002

Looks like there will be a lot of transfers to 'Bama!

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/Sto...053892,00.html

The irony of Tide complaints about Franchione just two weeks ago is funny.
Old 12-18-02, 03:06 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
"I'm not going to UCLA because I can't take you with me and you're the reason I got here.' - Mike Price to his players, 12/14/2002
The funinest part is he lied to them like that and he still wants to coach them in the Rose Bowl. I hope their's a revolt by the players it he's allowed to. No way I would play for a guy who's only still here right now so he can coach in a major bowl.
Old 12-18-02, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon

Looks like there will be a lot of transfers to 'Bama!

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/Sto...053892,00.html

The irony of Tide complaints about Franchione just two weeks ago is funny.
Well, technically he can take some of them. Had he gone to UCLA, any transfers from WSU would have had to wait 2 years to play. Now, they only have to wait one.

In all seriousness, this is still different. Price said he wasn't going to UCLA, and he didn't. Franchione said he wasn't going to A&M, but did anyway.
Old 12-19-02, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The NCAA penalties are the difference between Coach Fran's lying and Coach Price's (IMO).

Faced with NCAA penalties, Coach Fran had to convince recruits that he was going to stay at Alabama and get the program through the tough times. They came, he left.

Obviously it's not realistic for a coach to tell a recruit "gee, I don't know if I'm going to stay or not", but Coach Fran's departure just seems more slimy than your typical "greener pastures" change.
Old 12-19-02, 10:01 AM

Color me a bit skeptical about Mike Price. I was there at the beginning of his tenure (1990-1992) as a grad student at WSU. I saw him pick Drew Bledsoe to start as a freshman in relief of a struggling senior QB (Brad Gossen) over a veteran junior QB (Aaron Garcia). I've never seen him as a great coach or anything...he just got hot past couple of seasons. He did recruit really well though, I will admit that. But people forget the 3-8 seasons between Ryan Leaf and Jason Gesser. But I can't blame Mike Price for leaving--he's gotta strike while the iron is hot. He's gotta go while people have this impression he's a "great" coach.

What I'm really mad about is how coaches tend to use WSU as a stepping stone to other more prestigious jobs. Case in point, Kelvin Sampson going on to Oklahoma from a couple of successful season at WSU. Price had been here for 14 years..perhaps he can build up WSU as a prestigious head coaching job.