Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Chris Rix out of Sugar Bowl--------overslept

Old 12-17-02, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Chris Rix out of Sugar Bowl--------overslept

http://espn.go.com/ncf/bowls02/s/sugar_rix.html

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State quarterback Chris Rix was suspended for the Nokia Sugar Bowl on Tuesday because he overslept and missed a final exam.

The move leaves the Seminoles without their top two quarterbacks for the Jan. 1 game against Southeastern Conference champion Georgia. Backup Adrian McPherson was kicked off the team last month after being accused of stealing a check.

Rix slept through a religion exam, an automatic suspension under a rule established after former Seminoles star Deion Sanders played in the 1989 Sugar Bowl despite not taking any final exams.

"It's an academic decision, there's no chance for him to play in the Sugar Bowl,'' coach Bobby Bowden said.

Rix, a sophomore, said he overslept because of a "personal family issue, which was weighing heavily on me.'' He did not elaborate.

"I apologize to my teammates, coaches and the fans as this is a difficult price to pay,'' he said in a statement released by the school. "I'm in good academic standing and am on track to graduate on time.''
Old 12-17-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh ... I was actually going to take F$U on the spread in my office pool. Guess I need to reevaluate that decision.

das
Old 12-17-02, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-17-02, 08:29 PM
Retired

Oversleep because of a "family issue?" Be a friggin man and deal with it.

Religion class, looks like he was really trying to challenge himself academically.

What a loser.
Old 12-17-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad to see FSU enforcing the rule.

Looks like they're screwed now though.
Old 12-17-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk God

i didnt plan to pick fsu to win
but this makes me more comfortable with the pick
Old 12-18-02, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for Florida State actually sticking to the student part of student-athlete.
Old 12-18-02, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Damn - they took the game off the board in Vegas - was hoping to jump on the line before it moved too much.
Old 12-18-02, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lol, as if Georgia needed any more help against FSU; this should be a fun game for anyone who hates FSU.
Old 12-18-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By no means am I an FSU fan but am I the only one who thinks this is a little too strict? I could understand if he didn't take the final, but I would assume he would have made some effort to take it after he woke up.

My Freshman year in college I woke up at 8:30AM for an 8:00AM final. I got dressed, didn't bother to brush my teeth and ran the half mile to the building. I showed up at 8:40 and the class got out at 8:50. I spoke to the prof and he let me and another girl who had overslept stay after and take the final in his office.

Now maybe Rix just said, screw it, it's only a Religion final and if so he shouldn't get to play, but if the prof was a hardass and wouldn't let him take it if he made a reasonable effort to get it taken care of on time... I don't see what the problem is. Anybody know what the exact rule is at FSU?

(By the way, I finished the exam in about 20 minutes and made an A... class was Geology 101)

Mordred
Old 12-18-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I feel bad for the guy - I've overslept for an exam before. Punishment seems a bit harsh if that is actually what happened and they wouldn't let him take a makeup.
Old 12-18-02, 01:32 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

If Chris Rix comes out, I wonder if he will be the sleeper of the draft?
Old 12-18-02, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel awful for Rix -- that really is terrible (not to mention the irony that it was a Religion final and he is a highly religious person). It could happen to anyone, but now it's national news.

I hope that the backup QB (or, backup to the backup as it were) plays well and I'm sure he will. The game will be interesting no matter what since FSU does have a pretty solid defense that will slow down UGA's recent offensive surge. Also, it makes it very difficult for the Dawgs to prepare for a QB they've never seen.

Don't count the Noles out yet....(although I of course am wanting the Dawgs to win!! )
Old 12-18-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mnguye10
for Florida State actually sticking to the student part of student-athlete.
Well, only because they got burned by this once when Deion played in a bowl game after not attending any of his finals.
Old 12-18-02, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ugh, finals...
Old 12-18-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, don't let this story fool you. The rule is pretty clear in this matter. F$U couldn't let him play if they wanted to ... they've already abused that privilege in the past.

das
Old 12-18-02, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the punishment is fair. I don't know if he still got to take the exam, but suspending him from a football game isn't super harsh. It is still just a game. I think the rule is good too. It is important that schools preserve the student part of student-athlete as mnguye10 pointed out. Plus FSU is infamous for allowing athletes to get away with almost anything. Too many highly publicized mistakes there.

Last edited by nchhabra; 12-19-02 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-18-02, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

" 'Infamous'? What does that mean?"

" 'Infamous'. It means like, 'more than famous'."

Old 12-20-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Dean of FSU

"The time has come for someone to put his foot down. And that foot is me."
Old 12-20-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

too harsh? nope

they arent failing him, kicking him out of school, etc..
they are making him miss a football game.. it just happens to be a pretty important football game..

because of fsu's constant abuse of academic policies in the past, they have no choice but to invoke a 0 tolerance policy..

this is completely different than when we overslept and missed exams.. because the school or the prof might allow you to make up the exam and still get credit.. but the team has a posted 0 tolerance policy that every player knows about and must abide by. he broke it and couldnt expect any exception to be made (he isnt deion sanders! )