Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Yao Ming Report Card

Old 12-17-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yao Ming Report Card

I'm from Houston. I was extremely skeptical of drafting Ming. I've changed my mind.

At this point in the season, I'd give him a solid B. With all of the hurdles to overcome, outside of simply being a young rookie player in the NBA, he has certainly performed beyond my expectations. He already has a 30 point game, and he's averaging 13 points a game with 7 rebounds and almost two blocks. He also has a very high shooting percentage, around 59% I think.

He still needs to fit in better, but the entire Rocket team is dealing with that issue. Francis is not a true point, and Mobley scores on most nights but he has to take 100 shots to make 10 it seems. The forward position is a logjam. Despite currently fairly flat, I think the Rockets will continue to gel and eventually make the playoffs. Next year, I'd say watch out.

Apart from on the court, Yao also seems like a really good guy, not a thug, not a wimp (Bradley).

Oh yeah, and the Yao Ming song really rocks. Yao Ming, Yao Ming, Yao Ming, Yao Ming...

stoolie
Old 12-17-02, 06:55 PM
Suspended

Only a B?! For one of the few Chinese guys who made here in the NBA, I said he is the best by far. But, without a doubt, if you compare to other draft picks he's not going to stand out.
Old 12-17-02, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by SuperJim88
Only a B?! For one of the few Chinese guys who made here in the NBA, I said he is the best by far. But, without a doubt, if you compare to other draft picks he's not going to stand out.
Well, only if you look at the numbers. But his long reach also affects the offensive capability of the opposite team. Numbers don't show that (well, blocks sorta do). If you ask me, he's an A-. Even if you go by numbers, he's had a double double in 6 of his last 7 games. And comparing him to other draft picks is hardly fair (even though his numbers hold up quite well there too). Let's see - Jay Williams on the Bulls, Caron Butler on the Heat, and Drew Gooden on the Grizzlies? They're all on crappy teams with inadequate support. Plus their numbers are inflated (or Ming's are deflated depending on how you view it) because those guys have all been playing 30 plus minutes from the start (that's how desperate for players their teams were).
Old 12-17-02, 07:56 PM
Banned

I'd give him an A. He has proven he is the best player of his draft class (how many #1's can make that claim?) and he's had a few great games(against Lakers and Spurs). Plus he's from China and he has adapted pretty quickly.
Old 12-18-02, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ok, what's up w/ Bill Walton during the Rockets/Pacers game? the whole game he's like raving about Yao Ming. I like Yao, I think he's going to be really good. But man, I think Bill loves him.

Ron Artest has been a thug the past 2 games in Tx. What's up w/ him?
Old 12-19-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yao Ming is the man. Will be the 2nd best center in the league no doubt.
Old 12-19-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Big Quasimodo
Yao Ming is the man. Will be the 2nd best center in the league no doubt.
Actually, he already is. I'm counting TRUE centers, not the forwards who can be played at center in the fantasy leagues.
Old 12-19-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I assume you'd say Shaq is the best center in the league, which is a farce.

Shaq is the most dominant but he's not the best. His game is mostly brute force with some decent skills mixed in. Yao's got a lot more skill and a larger repertoire of moves that he can hurt you with. He can go outside the paint and shoot the rock. He can razzle dazzle you in the paint with his fakes and up-and-unders. He can pass, he can block shots, he runs the floor well.

Meanwhile Shaq just runs through and over people. While still dominant, Shaq is not the most talented center in the league.
Old 12-19-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was skeptical about drafting Yao but he has far exceeded my expectations. He has great court awareness and might already be the best passer of all the big men in the league. He was making the Pacers look pretty silly last night. Bill Walton was nearly orgasmic over some of his moves. If James Posey can settle in at the SF spot, then the West better start watching out.
Old 12-20-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll have to agree that he deserves an A/A-. With the language barrier and the level of competition of the NBA, he ease into it nicely. Charles Barkley HA!. He can keep on kissing that @ss, uh, I mean donkey.
Old 12-20-02, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A