Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

who are the big names for the 2003 NFL Draft?

Old 12-17-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

who are the big names for the 2003 NFL Draft?

I know it's a bit early for this, but we Lions fans have very little to look forward every year besides the draft I was hoping we'd end up around the 5th pick and take Charles Rogers to give a nice tandem with Harrington and provide some punch to the offense. It's looking likely that we'll instead end up at #2 and i can't see a receiver going that high...even if it is Rogers. So I was wondering who is coming out this year and what y'all think are the top five players and likely top three picks? I believe McGahee is a senior, and that would be a likely choice for the Lions, as the Bengals at least have CD....any thoughts?
Old 12-17-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

McGahee is a sophomore and said he is coming back to school...but we've heard that before.

The big names are Byron Leftwich, Carson Palmer, and Charles Rogers.

If Maurice Clarett and Reggie Williams challenge the must-be-three-years-out-of-highschool rule, then add them to the list. I don't think they will though.

Here are Mel Kiper's top 25 seniors. This doesn't include underclassmen who will declare though. http://espn.go.com/melkiper/index.html

Look for the Bengals to take Carson Palmer. Rogers seems like a good fit for the Lions. I don't think they'll have a problem using the pick on him if they really want him.
Old 12-17-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for the list....I was fooled on McGahee by someone mentioning him as a likely pick....it didn't sound right at the time, and i'm guessing he must be a redshirt soph if there's talk of him coming out?

Anyone know anything about other early entries besides Rogers? Any big names on defense? There don't seem to be any Peppers/Jammer/R. Williams kind of guys this year at all....

So maybe a receiver could go #2...Rogers would be a fantastic choice imho....that man is damn good at catching the ball...
Old 12-17-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk God

I would be quite surprised if McGahee does not come out. I think he would be Detroit's pick if he comes out.
Old 12-17-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i'm surprised larry johnson isn't higher on that list. if he hadn't been pulled out of games because of lopsided scores, he probably would have had a 2500 yard season.
Old 12-17-02, 07:16 PM
Banned

This draft is really deep at DT. Jimmy Kennedy, William Joseph and Vince Wilfolk will all be taken in the top 15. Kennedy is a monster at 6"4' 330 pounds and Joseph has been compared to Warren Sapp and more recently Ryan Sims(who went 6th last year). Wilfolk is a true sophomore but can declare for the draft because he's 3 years removed from high school. And if Andre Johnson and Roy Williams join Charles Rogers and Kelley Washington(hasn't declared for the draft yet but will) as underclassmen declaring for the draft, this WR class could be the best since 1996(which was sick BTW. Keyshawn, Owens, Harrison, Moulds, Horn, Muhammad, Gleen). Willis McGahee will probably leave school early too and is a likely first rounder. Also unfortunately for Houston, there is no Super Tackle this year. No Orlando Pace, no Chris Samuels, no Leonard Davis. I think Cincinnati will NOT end up with a QB and will trade down and get a DT(who will, of course, end up being a bust).

My REALLY Early top 5:
1. Carolina (from Cincinnati): Carson Palmer USC
2. Detroit: Charles Rogers Michigan State
3. Houston: Andre Johnson Miami
4. Chicago: Byron Leftwich Marshall
5. Minnesota: William Joseph Miami

I expect 5 Miami players to be taken in the first round this year: WR Johnson, RB McGahee, DLs Joseph, Wilfolk, Jerome McDougle.
Old 12-17-02, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by evenflowddt
My REALLY Early top 5:

lets hope youre right on that one....we really need him
Old 12-17-02, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by monkeyboy
i'm surprised larry johnson isn't higher on that list. if he hadn't been pulled out of games because of lopsided scores, he probably would have had a 2500 yard season.
2,000 yard seasons in college mean squat in the NFL. If they predicted performance, Troy Davis would be in the Hall of Fame by now.
Old 12-17-02, 08:30 PM
Retired

Not to mention Rashaan Salaam
Old 12-17-02, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by monkeyboy
He's from Penn State. The last two big name RBs from Penn State were Ki-Jana Carter and Curtis Enis. Enough said.
Old 12-17-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This draft is really deep at DT. Jimmy Kennedy, William Joseph and Vince Wilfolk will all be taken in the top 15. Kennedy is a monster at 6"4' 330 pounds and Joseph has been compared to Warren Sapp and more recently Ryan Sims(who went 6th last year). Wilfolk is a true sophomore but can declare for the draft because he's 3 years removed from high school. And if Andre Johnson and Roy Williams join Charles Rogers and Kelley Washington(hasn't declared for the draft yet but will) as underclassmen declaring for the draft, this WR class could be the best since 1996(which was sick BTW. Keyshawn, Owens, Harrison, Moulds, Horn, Muhammad, Gleen). Willis McGahee will probably leave school early too and is a likely first rounder. Also unfortunately for Houston, there is no Super Tackle this year. No Orlando Pace, no Chris Samuels, no Leonard Davis. I think Cincinnati will NOT end up with a QB and will trade down and get a DT(who will, of course, end up being a bust).

My REALLY Early top 5:

I expect 5 Miami players to be taken in the first round this year: WR Johnson, RB McGahee, DLs Joseph, Wilfolk, Jerome McDougle.
I seem to recall seeing yesterday that Roy Williams said he's staying for his senior year.....so that'll put a bit of a dent in the WR class....

And I fear the Lions would be enticed by McGahee instead of Rogers, but i think the latter would be a much better pick. They don't have any big play guys, and he would offer that immediately.....and James Stewart has proven steady enough if he can stay healthy so there's no immediate need at RB....but this is the lions, so we shall see....
Old 12-17-02, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just hope that the Vikings draft defense...

CB or DT or LB would be fine with me. CB being biggest want from me.
Old 12-17-02, 11:55 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

He's from Penn State. The last two big name RBs from Penn State were Ki-Jana Carter and Curtis Enis. Enough said.
Don't forget Blair Thomas before them.

Cincy will take Palmer #1. They need a QB badly.

I think Detroit would be stupid not to take Rogers. He's a great talent not to mention it's a good PR move to draft a local kid.

My Bears scare me. I hopw we get Leftwich but who knows with these morons.
Old 12-18-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mark my words, when Cecil Sapp (RB for CSU) gets drafted, he'll go in the top 10.
Old 12-18-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by juiio

Here are Mel Kiper's top 25 seniors. This doesn't include underclassmen who will declare though. http://espn.go.com/melkiper/index.html

Right on! I like to see him picking two UGA Dawgs in his top 25!!
Old 12-18-02, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also unfortunately for Houston, there is no Super Tackle this year. No Orlando Pace, no Chris Samuels, no Leonard Davis. I think Cincinnati will NOT end up with a QB and will trade down and get a DT(who will, of course, end up being a bust).

I heard that other guy from Texas (Derrick Dockery) was supposed to be pretty good. SI said he was close to talent and skill as Mike Williams.
Old 12-18-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SnoopDogg
I just hope that the Vikings draft defense...

CB or DT or LB would be fine with me. CB being biggest want from me.
Me too. Also, if they can get Randy Moss to get his head out of his ass, they may win some of those close games they have lost this year.
Old 12-19-02, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by juiio
McGahee is a sophomore and said he is coming back to school...but we've heard that before.

The big names are Byron Leftwich, Carson Palmer, and Charles Rogers.

If Maurice Clarett and Reggie Williams challenge the must-be-three-years-out-of-highschool rule, then add them to the list. I don't think they will though.

Look for the Bengals to take Carson Palmer. Rogers seems like a good fit for the Lions. I don't think they'll have a problem using the pick on him if they really want him.
I might be mistaken, but I think Reggie Williams is a sophomore this year.
Old 12-19-02, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVDJay
I might be mistaken, but I think Reggie Williams is a sophomore this year.
Right. He didn't redshirt a year, so he is only two years out of high school. He'd have to either wait a year or challenge the rule. But like I said, I don't think he or Maurice Clarett will challenge the rule.
Old 12-21-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After beating Miami today, we ruined our draft. We'll end up beating Detroit and getting a 13-15 pick. Glad we won those last 3, they'll do us a lot of good next year as we scrape for a decent player.