Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Say hello to your 2003 Padres, lol

Old 12-16-02, 04:33 PM

Say hello to your 2003 Padres, lol

It's been an active winter for the Padres.

With today's signing of free agent Mark Loretta, it appears Kevin Towers is about done this winter, having addressed the Padres' need for a middle infielder and some help in the bullpen.

My current projection for 25-man opening day roster.

1B Ryan Klesko
2B Mark Loretta
SS Ramon Vazquez
3B Sean Burroughs
IF Dave Hansen

LF Phil Nevin
CF Mark Kotsay
RF Bubba Trammell
OF Brian Buchanan

C Wiki Gonzalez
C Michael Rivera

SP Brian Lawrence
SP Adam Eaton
SP Oliver Perez
SP Jake Peavy
SP Dennis Tankersley (Tollberg released, Jarvis will be on DL)

RP Trevor Hoffman
RP Luther Hackman
RP Brandon Villafuerte
RP Jesse Orosco
RP Kevin Walker
RP Jared Wright
RP Francisco Cordova
RP anyone's guess

Supposedly, Towers has another $4 mil to play with too...

WATCH OUT NL WEST!
Old 12-16-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think Lawrence, Eaton, Perez and Peavy will be damn good. Maybe not next season, but that quartet could be very good if they are allowed to stick together for a few years,

I also think the Pads made a mistake by trading Kingsale, but I understand they pretty much had to when no one would take Bubba Trammell.

Wonder how Nevin will work out in LF. Did they prepare him for this by giving him time there last season?
Old 12-16-02, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by indianajdp
I think Lawrence, Eaton, Perez and Peavy will be damn good. Maybe not next season, but that quartet could be very good if they are allowed to stick together for a few years,

I also think the Pads made a mistake by trading Kingsale, but I understand they pretty much had to when no one would take Bubba Trammell.

Wonder how Nevin will work out in LF. Did they prepare him for this by giving him time there last season?
The Pads have a nice group of young pitchers, but I have major worries about injury. The organization has a poor track record with protecting the health of their pitchers, and pitching coach Booker is still around. But for better or worse, the Pads will go with a young staff this year.

I was deeply saddened by the trade of Kingsale. I was a huge fan of this kid (he was very popular at the stadium too) and he had the makings of a tremendous leadoff hitter. Barring a huge year by Trammell, he'll be gone for 2004 (when the Pads budget will increase significantly b/c of the new stadium), and Kingsale could have been kept around for another year until the departure of Bubba.

But thanks to the totally unpredictable Wiki Gonzalez, we need a reliable backup, thus the Kingsale trade.

With the highly touted Burroughs debuting at 3B last season, Nevin was to be the LFer for the Pads. He played in LF for awhile last season, but when Burroughs went down early with a shoulder injury, the Pads had no choice but to bring Nevin back to 3B so that he could botch up dozens of plays. Nevin's a DH waiting to happen.
Old 12-16-02, 05:10 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder what's going to happen to http://www.lutherized.com
Old 12-16-02, 10:43 PM

Well, it is encouraging for me to hear that (I'm a Tigers fan)

I also thought that trade was bad, I wanted to really keep Rivera. Brandon Inge just may be the worst catcher in the history of the game.
Old 12-16-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Say hello to your 2003 Padres, lol

Originally posted by DarkElf

RP anyone's guess
twikoff?
Old 12-16-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't be too hard on the Pads, they're making a pretty good situation out of a tough one. Without much money they can't make the big signing and make to deal away expensive ones. still getting Griffey would have been nice.

Peavy, Tankersley, Cyr, Perez, and Howard are a nice collection of youg arms, plus Eaton and Lawrence have done well for themselves.

Unfortunately the young players likely won't develop fast enough for the Pads to really succeed next year, but at least there's hope. You could be a Devil Rays fan.
Old 12-17-02, 03:09 AM
AJP
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Nevin desperately wants to stay at 3B even though he's been terrible there defensively. He's still saying the best Padres lineup has him at third and Klesko at first. I heard he even said he would rather play catcher than LF until Bochy & Towers called his bluff and threatened to put him there.

Unless he undergoes a radical change of attitude, I don't see this working out too well. It almost seems like the front office is just trying to grind him into waiving his no-trade clause.
Old 12-17-02, 05:56 AM

Ranger02, yeah, I think Kingsale is a nice pickup for you guys. Inge may not be much of a backstop, but he can at least hit. Wiki can't do either, and has a bad work ethic to boot.

Jericho, I'm not being hard on the Pads. I fully understand the realities of not being a big market. Rumors swirled about Kent, and Alfonzo, and Vina, and a bunch of other pies in the sky. We simply don't have the money to sign players like that.

Or do we?...

The NYTimes said we offered Alfonzo a solid multi-year contract (I forget the specifics), but then the Giants upped their offer to beat out the Pads. So if we don't have the money for a big splash, why bid for Alfonzo?

Anyway, yeah, I'm realistic about 2003, and look forward with much anticipation to 2004. If the Pads fail to sign anyone of note for 2004, then we know this "wait til the new ballpark" talk was a bunch of b.s...

But I've got my season tickets again for 2003, and look forward to the upcoming season.

AJP Nevin just needs to shut the hell up and do what's best for the team rather than himself. I'm not a big Nevin fan, partially because I think his 2001 numbers were somewhat a fluke, and partially because I've met the guy and he's pretty much a jerk. I really wouldn't mind seeing the Pads unload him to be someone else's selfish headache. If he was good at 3B, he might have an argument, but he's horrible there. He makes every routine grounder an adventure. People in the stand are openly praying that he doesn't botch a ball hit to him. "Please don't screw this one up. Phew..." Sorry, I'm obviously not a Nevin fan.
Old 12-17-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Ranger02
Well, it is encouraging for me to hear that (I'm a Tigers fan)

I also thought that trade was bad, I wanted to really keep Rivera. Brandon Inge just may be the worst catcher in the history of the game.
You sure have a short memory. He's not even the worst catcher the Tigers have had in recent history.

Dwight Lowry is that man
Old 12-17-02, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When does their new stadium open?
Old 12-17-02, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by bralph
You sure have a short memory. He's not even the worst catcher the Tigers have had in recent history.

Dwight Lowry is that man
Nah... Inge has him beat by a mile as being the worst.

The only good thing about Inge... he has a cannon arm.

He can't hit for crap, he can't take a walk, he's a cocky a-hole, he is overrated defensively (other than that cannon arm, his defense is average at best), and he's being pegged as the starting catcher for this season. Hopefully this is the season where Dombrowski realizes how much Inge sucks and finds a better backstop.

Mike Rivera has a better chance at being an average ML catcher than Inge. The guy hits a ton, and altho he has bad defense, his offensive ability will make up. He has great plate patience and is a great power hitter.
Old 12-17-02, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
When does their new stadium open?
April 2004, so one more year at the Q.
Old 12-17-02, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Ranger02
Nah... Inge has him beat by a mile as being the worst.

The only good thing about Inge... he has a cannon arm.

He can't hit for crap, he can't take a walk, he's a cocky a-hole, he is overrated defensively (other than that cannon arm, his defense is average at best), and he's being pegged as the starting catcher for this season. Hopefully this is the season where Dombrowski realizes how much Inge sucks and finds a better backstop.

Mike Rivera has a better chance at being an average ML catcher than Inge. The guy hits a ton, and altho he has bad defense, his offensive ability will make up. He has great plate patience and is a great power hitter.
I thought Inge had a decent bat?

Glad to hear that Rivera has some potential, just in case Wiki can't live up to the somewhat lofty expectations.
Old 12-17-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

April 2004, so one more year at the Q.
There was a really cool architects rendering of the new stadium in the paper a few months back. It looked really sweet.
Old 12-17-02, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
There was a really cool architects rendering of the new stadium in the paper a few months back. It looked really sweet.
I took a hardhat tour of the place a month ago, and while I'm excited to have a baseball only stadium, I thought it looked a bit cluttered on the south end. Some office looking buildings are attached to the stadium, and that kind of kills the nice smooth lines around the stadium that you often see for the home plate area. I also wished it faced a direction other than due north since the view from home plate won't be that impressive (like SF or, OMG, Pittsburgh's new stadium! Wow!). So I guess I'd give it a B+ from an asthetics point of view.
Old 12-18-02, 10:46 PM
AJP

AJP Nevin just needs to shut the hell up and do what's best for the team rather than himself. I'm not a big Nevin fan, partially because I think his 2001 numbers were somewhat a fluke, and partially because I've met the guy and he's pretty much a jerk. I really wouldn't mind seeing the Pads unload him to be someone else's selfish headache. If he was good at 3B, he might have an argument, but he's horrible there. He makes every routine grounder an adventure. People in the stand are openly praying that he doesn't botch a ball hit to him. "Please don't screw this one up. Phew..." Sorry, I'm obviously not a Nevin fan.
As time has gone by, I've started to like Nevin less and less myself. He seemed happy last season when Burroughs started to tail off and wound up on the DL just because he could reclaim 3B. Wasn't he also involved in openly second guessing how the organization handles pitching prospects so that it wound up in the media?

What started as a nice "guy turns his career around" story has turned into a "clubhouse lawyer/malcontent" situation. I hope they unload him too.
Old 12-19-02, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by AJP
As time has gone by, I've started to like Nevin less and less myself. He seemed happy last season when Burroughs started to tail off and wound up on the DL just because he could reclaim 3B. Wasn't he also involved in openly second guessing how the organization handles pitching prospects so that it wound up in the media?

What started as a nice "guy turns his career around" story has turned into a "clubhouse lawyer/malcontent" situation. I hope they unload him too.
Of course, I think he's right about the organization's handling of pitchers. But I'm allowed to criticize in public, I'm a fan. He's not. His complaints should remain internal.

Nevin was once considered untouchable, but clearly not any more, with the attempt to trade him for Griffey. But unless he has a solid year, no one's gonna want him for the salary he's being paid. Hopefully an injury-free year for him (and the team) will help him get back on track. Unless back on track for him means suckekeke...

On another note, I'm sad to see Ron Gant leave too. The Pads signed Brady Anderson to a minor league deal, with an invitation to Spring training, but everyone's talking like he's made the team. Just what we need, a washed up over-the-hill veteran.
Old 12-19-02, 12:37 PM
AJP

Of course, I think he's right about the organization's handling of pitchers. But I'm allowed to criticize in public, I'm a fan. He's not. His complaints should remain internal.
Exactly how I feel about it. I thought he was right, but it was just an ugly thing to see hit the newspaper.

As I remember, Kevin Towers was pretty classy in the response I saw, saying he respected Nevin as a player and competitor but he just wasn't qualified to judge that aspect of the organization. Even though Towers was nice about it, I'm sure this hurt Nevin's relationship with a bunch of people in the organization.

Of course, another 30+ HR, 100+ RBI season could do a lot of healing.

On another note, I'm sad to see Ron Gant leave too. The Pads signed Brady Anderson to a minor league deal, with an invitation to Spring training, but everyone's talking like he's made the team. Just what we need, a washed up over-the-hill veteran.
Too bad Gant is gone, he had a nice season. Why Brady Anderson? He's way over the hill as a player. If he makes the team, I suspect he will be about as productive as Trenidad Hubbard was last year.
Old 12-19-02, 03:03 PM

Well, the Pads do need a backup CF for when Kotsay needs a breather. They signed Victorino on Rule V from the Dodgers and acquired Jose Flores from Oakland via a Rule V trade, so between these two guys, and Brady, someone will have to be Kotsay's backup.
Old 12-20-02, 08:25 PM

Geez, this really says it all:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...s20images.html

Photos and 2002 stats for the Padres' 10 best acquisitions.
Old 12-21-02, 12:58 AM

Looking at that page, I noticed that the two cheapest players 2003 salaries are $300,000. Did the League minimum go up or something? Both Rivera and Flores I thought would make the league minimun (so should Jaret Wright and Brady Anderson shouldn't even be in baseball anymore).

Or did I think wrong and the league minimum isn't $200,000??

Anyways, Mike Rivera is a good prospect and playing behind Wiki, he should get enough chances to make or break himself. I think he'll be a Piazza-type player (well, not that much offense but still considerably good with the sh**ty/stable defense to go along with it). I won't be surprized to see him knock 20-25 HRs next season, he has great power and Qualcomn (Jack Murphy) isn't really a hitters park but the fences are much closer than what Comerica's fences were.

Then again, he could turn out like Javier Cardona. Remember, Cardona and Rich Gomez for Damian Jackson and Matt Walbeck. Haha, what a trade. Jackson was still better than Easley last season.
Old 12-21-02, 06:37 AM
AJP

Quite a group. Out of Baseball...Hit .163...15+ ERA...hit .185...two guys who hit .227. Their total HR's for the year resemble a month's production for Barry Bonds. This is almost like something out of the film Major League. Where are Willie Mays Hayes and Rick Vaughn?

At least Towers isn't done yet. We also signed Charles Nagy to a minor league contract-a 35 year old with a history of elbow trouble sporting an 8+ ERA. Perhaps he will bring an emery board, vaseline and that voodoo idol Jobu from the film-or break his arm and suddenly be able to throw 100 miles an hours like that kid in the other movie.

I know Towers made runs at Griffey and Edgardo Alfonso and is trying to get some help, but at this point it appears we will need an improbable number of players to suddenly show marked improvement if we're going to do better than last year. This could be ugly.

Last edited by AJP; 12-21-02 at 06:41 AM.