Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Giants Offseason Moves

Old 12-16-02, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Giants Offseason Moves

With the departure of Bell, came the signing of Durham and Grissom. Recently Kent was offered arbitration but with today’s signing of Edwardo Alfonzo it looks as if there's a slim-to-none chance of Kent returning to SF (possibly to Houston or Chicago?).

Livo, Bernard, and Snow could be unloaded to save salary and there's a possibility of Sabean pulling off something big (Dunn for Ortiz and others?) Your thoughts?
Old 12-16-02, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Livo and Bernard can take a hike. I'm gonna miss Snow if he goes. He's one of my favorite players and he's one hell of a babysitter!

I like the Durham signing a lot. Grissom will be a non-factor, but will definitely be better than Bernard. Kent's production will drop immensely without the greatest home run hitter that ever lived hitting behind him. Maybe he can sign on with a team that will let him ride his motorcycle all he wants.. err I mean "wash his truck".
Old 12-16-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually like Benard, and think he's actually pretty good as a 4th outfielder and pinch hitter. The only problem is that he's overpaid...
Old 12-16-02, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Good: Signing Durham, bringing in Felipe Alou

Mediocre: Signing Alfonzo, signing Grissom

Bad: Allowing Jeff Kent to potentially leave
Old 12-16-02, 11:51 AM

Signing Alfonzo was mediocre? I'd say that it's a fantastic signing for the Giants! His .390 OBP would look great in front of Bonds.
Old 12-16-02, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alfonzo is a good player, and I was very sorry to see him go as a Mets fan. That being said, they gave a lot of money to a guy with a bad back who hasn't hit with power in 2 years. It could backfire.

They should still sign Kent; letting him go is a mistake.
Old 12-16-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fonzie should be a good pickup for the Giants. As long as he stays healthy, his batting average is always consistent and will be possibly even better in front of Bonds.

a 4 yr deal could backfire but we'll see.

Looks like the Mets are busy last night/today as well.
They got rid of Ordonez, while having to pay $4.25mill of the $6.25 owed to him. They just had to get rid of him and his attitude. He was always great defensively untill this year! And will never be anything on the offensive side.

They leaves SS and 3rd open for the Mets to have to fill.
Might give Reyes the opportunity to start however he is still only 19 and only played 1/2 year at AA and none at AAA. He'll probably be good in the long run, but don't expect much next year.

The Mets continue to add to the pitching.
Looks like they locked up Stanton to a 3yr deal this morning.
And by the end of the day they may get rid of Cedeno and Burnitz, both who severly underperformed last year.
Looks like Astacio may be gone too. All this for Neagle from the Rockies?! So we'll have to fill some outfield spots in the next days/weeks as well!
Old 12-16-02, 02:48 PM

Sigh...

Sucks being a pseudo-small market like San Diego where our biggest news is that the Pads traded Cesar Crespo.
Old 12-16-02, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Word is Ortiz may be dealt to the WhiteSox for either Lee or Konerko.
Old 12-16-02, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Luddy
Word is Ortiz may be dealt to the WhiteSox for either Lee or Konerko.
no way I would believe that the WS would part w/ Konerko.
Old 12-16-02, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Giants Offseason Moves

Originally posted by Luddy
there's a possibility of Sabean pulling off something big (Dunn for Ortiz and others?) Your thoughts?
I haven't heard of this one..

what a great lineup that would be...

grissom
alfonso
bonds
dunn
aurillia
durham
Old 12-16-02, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Deftones17
Good: Signing Durham, bringing in Felipe Alou

Mediocre: Signing Alfonzo, signing Grissom

Bad: Allowing Jeff Kent to potentially leave
Great: Signing Durham
Good: Signing Alfonzo
Mediocre: Felipe Alou as manager
Bad: signing Grissom

Personaly I feel Durham is a lot better option than Kent (being as Kent is somewhat of a team cancer and can't get along with Bonds) so losing Kent won't hurt.
Old 12-16-02, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the moves they've made and as long as Alfonzo stays healthy they look much better than last year.

Bastards.
Old 12-16-02, 09:12 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I heard the White Sox are trading prospects for Ortiz. If it's Konerko Comiskey Park will be burnt to the ground. Lee struggled last year, but if he hits like he did whe he first came up he's a good bat. Him in the outfield his an adventure.

As a sox fan and someone who has lived through the Ray Durham era get ready for a rollercoaster ride. When he's playing well and the team is winning he's great to have in your lineup. When the team is losing he'll be swinging for the fences every at bat. His defense is decent as long as he doesn't have to go get balls up the middle. And he's also prone to run of at the mouth. The twins were elated when he made the last out last year when they beat Oakland in the playoffs after all the talking he did during spring training.
Old 12-16-02, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think that letting Jeff Kent get away is really the right way to characterize their negotiations right now.

I think that the Giants really want him back, but their hands are tied, and they can't afford to sign him at the expense of the rest of the team.

Its not like they're just letting him go. He did reject their offer of about $8 million a year for 3 years...
Old 12-17-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Giants trade Russ Ortiz to the Braves for Damian Moss and a minor league pitcher (Manuel Mateo). Saves them a bit of money to take a gamble on a pitcher who is relatively new to the big leagues.

Ortiz was going to make nearly $5 million next year.