Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Boxing - Holyfield vs. Byrd (spoiler)

Old 12-14-02, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Boxing - Holyfield vs. Byrd (spoiler)

Chris Byrd peppered Evander Holyfield with an unrelenting right jab and Holyfield could not mount much of an attack against the southpaw, Byrd.

Byrd won by unanimous decision 116-112, 117-111, 117-111.

Holyfield looked old in this fight, though he did mount a decent couple of rounds in the 10th and 11th rounds.

Holyfield blamed a bum left shoulder after the 1st round for not being about to set up combinations. The fact was Evander wasn't quick enough to set up combos against the more agile Byrd, who not only danced and jabbed, but was the aggressor after most of the breaks, beating Holyfield for better position and continued to pour it on. Holyfield simply had no answer for Byrd's left-handed style. And Holyfield even tried going southpaw for about a minute in one of the middle rounds, but quickly abandoned that style as well.

So Byrd is now the IBF title belt holder. Lennox Lewis will probably stay away from Byrd because of Byrd's fighting style doesn't match up with with Lewis's.

Last edited by Patman; 12-14-02 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-14-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Holyfield got his ass kicked.
Old 12-14-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree that Holyfield lost, but not by much. Most of Byrd's punches were light punches. Whenever Holyfield caught Byrd in the corner (once a round) Holyfield won the exchange. If only Holyfield would have fought like he did in the final 3 rounds, it might have been different. Byrd did not impress me. He ran and ducked all night.

Its a shame that Holyfield didn't fight him a few years agowhen he was a bit faster, he would have crushed him.
Old 12-14-02, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't much care for Byrd's style either, too much ninny-paw slapping for me.
Old 12-15-02, 03:27 AM

I almost fell asleep like 10 times during this fight, very boring.
Old 12-15-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I used to be a huge Holyfield fan. Now he's become an embarassment. Just retire already. Good grief. The day Holyfield loses to light punching Byrd is the day you should hang it up. He will never win another fight. You've already ruined the legacy as one of the greats. Now there's no point in continuing.
Old 12-15-02, 09:58 PM

I'm a Holyfield fan too, but he just didn't figure out Byrd till then end of the fight. True, Byrd is a light puncher, well light heavyweight in general. I like his tactics, and obviously they work. He's definitely not a brawler so he has to use his quickness. Not all his punches were light, he did land several strong shots to the stomach and his chest/shoulder region.
Old 12-16-02, 06:57 PM

Well, the old Holyfield would hve knocked Byrd out within 5 rounds. The current Holyfield is just old, with slower reflexes and less hand speed. The guy is just past his prime.
Old 12-17-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, the old Holyfield would hve knocked Byrd out within 5 rounds. The current Holyfield is just old, with slower reflexes and less hand speed. The guy is just past his prime.
True, but because of the current state of the heavyweight division, I still believe that Holyfield still has a decent chance against conventional fighters (ala Rahman). He still has a pretty big punch, decent speed , and a great chin. He knows this and will keep fighting.

Last edited by thecrazydude; 12-17-02 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-17-02, 05:03 PM

There's been discussion in Atlanta that the reason Holyfield has continued to fight is because he has obligations, meaning he hasn't taken care of the few hundred million he made during his prime. That could be the case. In a suburb of Atlanta, he built this ridiculous 55,000 sq. foot mansion. So that could be a case for him continuing to fight. How he could blow nearly 300 million is beyond me. But, if they keep giving him 5-7 million dollars to fight, I'll imagine he'll keep doing it. But I hate to see it when Holyfield could have gone down as on the great heavyweights of all time, probably even in the Top 3. I never saw a man get more out of his abilities than he did. Just hate to see him ruin that legacy. The man fought wars(line from Rocky), and he never ran from any opponent.