Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

How is soccer (known as football outside of the US) the world's most popluar sport?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

How is soccer (known as football outside of the US) the world's most popluar sport?

Old 12-12-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just don't see how people can get exicted over a soccer match and rioting is down right stupid. I'd rather watch the cat poop than watch this. IMO is very boring.
Please don't flame me for thinking it's a dumb "sport"
Old 12-12-02, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't worry, you're not alone.
Old 12-12-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How? Dunno. How is it that we can't get on board with the metric system either? Why are we such prudes when it comes to sexuality in entertainment, yet murder and mayhem are A-OK? We're a great nation, but we still have a long way to go.

Like many sports, soccer's entertainment value revolves around understanding the intricacies of the game (a preemptive for the guy who says "I understand it, and I still don't like it" - I didn't say those who don't like it don't understand it). In combination with that, it requires patience; it's not an instant gratification sport if you're only interested in the home run, the dunk, or goal scoring. If you haven't noticed, patience isn't something we excel at here in America. We're an instant gratification society ... soccer doesn't fit into that mold. You also have to pay attention to every moment of the game. There are no commercial breaks, and you can't just show up in the 6th inning or 4th quarter and pick up on the action (while true sports fans would never do this, the majority of casual fans frequently just watch the end of a game). Most American sports don't require much investment in the game to find enjoyment; soccer requires dedicated attention for 90 minutes.

Around the world, every kid grows up playing the sport and learns to understand its finest points at a young age. Like hockey, I think it's a sport that's much more difficult to appreciate if you didn't play.

Also, the level of soccer we play here in America is a pale comparison to the quality around the world. Americans watch an MLS game and think that's all there is to the game. When the World Cup comes around, more people see the game at its intended level. How anyone could watch EPL games and find it boring is beyond me, but most Americans don't have access or interest in the EPL, so they form judgment on the MLS, which while entertaining enough isn't the same thing by any stretch.

Why is it the most popular sport in the world? Because any kid anywhere can play. You don't need any equipment or special field ... make a goal out of some rocks and find a ball-shaped object. Anyone can learn to play, and no matter how long you play, there's always something new to learn. When played at the highest level, the fluidity of the game is mesmerizing; it's also incredibly physical with lots of intense action away from the goal and even away from the ball.

Like all things, it's not for everyone. Sorry you don't like it. It's my favorite sport to play; it's my favorite sport to watch; and I long for a time when we have a competitive league here in the States so I can watch world level competition live on a weekly basis.

das
Old 12-12-02, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a soccer fan, and I'd like to add another point. Soccer is tradition. I mean, I'm sure people in France tell us how baseball is boring. But baseball is tradition here. Soccer is tradition in many countries.

It's also just an amazingly draining game. People work their asses off.
Old 12-13-02, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk God

its boring.. but its cheap.
so all the poor countries are able to play it
unlike alot of 'american' sports
Old 12-13-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

twikoff got it exactly right... its cheap...

I love soccer b/c of the continous play, no time outs or time between plays/pitches. But I love almost all sports.
Old 12-13-02, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never enjoyed watching soccer but the World Cup is an entirely different animal. My heart was pounding and I was jumping up and down throughout the entire tourney. (It helps that my two teams - USA and Korea - both did amazing)

Old 12-13-02, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To an outsider American Football is boring as hell

Have 10 seconds of action, have 5 mins strategising, then another 10 seconds of action

so yeah any sport can be boring if you don't understand it
Old 12-13-02, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't worry... it's still in Beta. They plan on releasing the final version of soccer (football) in the near future.
Old 12-13-02, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk God

People - we're only supposed to have this discussion every 4 years.
Old 12-13-02, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Thor Simpson
Don't worry... it's still in Beta. They plan on releasing the final version of soccer (football) in the near future.

das
Old 12-13-02, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the best soccer around...

...I would recommend trying to see English Premier League soccer.

Fortunately, matches are available on pay-per-view and often on Fox Sports World here in the USA.

It's fun to watch someone knock off Manchester United every now and then.
Old 12-13-02, 10:30 AM

It's tradition like some said above. The US has/had and indoor soccer league intended to bring some "life" into the game but nonetheless failed.

I coach youth soccer and at this level it is very popular and competitive.
Old 12-13-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love watching soccer! When I was in Europe, and I couldn't watch much else, there was only soccer. That brought an interest to me in a new sport, one that was internationally loved! It really is exciting, and it showcases some of the world's best athletes.

I still try and catch as much soccer as I can back in the US, mostly at the NCAA level. But there just isn't the same kind of coverage here.
Old 12-13-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: For the best soccer around...

Originally posted by RayChuang
It's fun to watch someone knock off Manchester United every now and then.
Especially if it's Manchester City doing the knocking.

I'll be at the Arsenal-West Ham game, er... fixture in January.
Old 12-13-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To das Monkey
Old 12-13-02, 01:17 PM

I wouldn't mind watching soccer except for the blatant amount of players faking hits and body contact. There's no real penalty for faking if they get caught.

Take Rivaldo from the Brazilian team in the first game of the World Cup. A Turkish player was pissed and kicked the ball at him, hitting him in the thigh. Rivaldo fakes that he was struck in the face and the Turkish player gets red-carded and is out of the game. Afterwards, Rivaldo publicly admits that he faked it and all that happened to him was that he got a small fine.
Old 12-13-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by keyed
I wouldn't mind watching soccer except for the blatant amount of players faking hits and body contact. There's no real penalty for faking if they get caught.
Yes there is. Did you see all the other games where players were carded for faking? The Ref can't catch everything, so Rivaldo got away with one, but as you said, he was fined for it.

I agree that it sucks when people do this, and it's why so many don't like the Brazilian national team, but in games and leagues with good officiating, it's really not that big a problem. A good ref will card a guy for taking any kind of dive, and consequently, players won't take dives. The International rules involved with the Cup, however, don't really set up a good scenario to have the most qualified people officiating the match. That's definitely a shame.

das
Old 12-13-02, 07:32 PM
Retired

Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone's going to like the same things, and watching/playing sports is included in this concept.

Personally, I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I don't hate the sport either. I watch U.S. World Cup matches, and that's about it. Some times I'd watch some European matches (don't remember the leagues)on Fox Sports World late at night when I was board. But I don't get that channel anymore.

Hockey is the sport I can't stand to watch.
Old 12-13-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by keyed
i guess you don't like NBA basketball either then, huh? if i see divac flop one more time.......
Old 12-14-02, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: How is soccer (known as football outside of the US) the world's most popluar sport?

Originally posted by Canadian Bacon
I just don't see how people can get exicted over a soccer match and rioting is down right stupid. I'd rather watch the cat poop than watch this. IMO is very boring.
Please don't flame me for thinking it's a dumb "sport"
Yes, cause after major sports victories in the United States there is never any rioting.....cause we're just not that stupid!
Old 12-14-02, 01:52 AM

Soccer and Hockey are my favorite sports next to the NFL. The fact that people can call soccer boring and then watch Nascar has always made me wonder.

Rivaldo may have faked a fall, but NBA stars do it all the time and so do kickers in the NFL.
Old 12-14-02, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Soccer will only get more popular in the US with so many kids playing in youth leagues.

One problem with soccer in the US is that American broadcasters don't know how to cover it. It's an entirely different experience watching a soccer match that is covered by people who grew up playing the game.
Old 12-14-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Doc Moonlight
One problem with soccer in the US is that American broadcasters don't know how to cover it. It's an entirely different experience watching a soccer match that is covered by people who grew up playing the game.
That is a major problem.....having watched Spanish broadcasts basically my entire life, the announcer let you in on the intricacies on the game and the mini battles going on. yes, when a goal is scored, they go ape-****, but thats just part of it.

US coverage seems only to care about the scoring chances, and the rest is merely filler.

Good call about NASCAR bluntman!
Old 12-14-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Doc Moonlight
Soccer will only get more popular in the US with so many kids playing in youth leagues.

Yes, it is hard for American broadcasters to get it right. The biggest problem is how do they fit commercials into broadcasts. Football, baseball, basketball, etc. are all more set up for commercial television the way they are set up with all of their breaks in the action for timeouts, changes of possessions, times between innings, etc. Soccer is non-stop the way the time is kept, etc. Trying to change it to add breaks for television might change the game too much for international audiences to accept.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.