Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Report: NFL admits blown calls in Vikes'/Packers game

Old 12-12-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Report: NFL admits blown calls in Vikes'/Packers game

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/1211/1475659.html

Wednesday, December 11

Refs reportedly made at least nine mistakes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- The NFL acknowledged Wednesday its officiating crew made at least nine mistakes during Sunday's Green Bay-Minnesota game, including a pass interference call that negated a Vikings' interception on the Packers' game-winning drive.

The mistakes were documented in a confidential memorandum, according to several league sources.

The Vikings (3-10) lost the game 26-22 in Green Bay. Eight of the affected plays occurred in the fourth quarter, when the Packers (10-3) made up a nine-point deficit with two unanswered touchdowns.

Both the Star Tribune and St. Paul Pioneer Press newspapers reported the league's correspondence with the Vikings late Wednesday night.

On Monday, the Vikings sent in 12 officials' calls the team disagreed with. In a response, league supervisors wrote that Vikings safety Corey Chavous should not have been called for pass interference against Packers receiver Donald Driver on a third-down pass that safety Jack Brewer intercepted.

"It doesn't matter what they say after the fact,'' Chavous said. "We lost the game.''

Under the NFL's instant replay policy, pass interference penalties are not subject to review. Tony Fisher scored the go-ahead touchdown for Green Bay four plays later.

NFL teams routinely fill out such forms on the day after games, seeking clarification or explanations for calls, and it is not unusual for mistakes to be acknowledged affecting both teams.

"Conversations between the NFL officiating department and teams are confidential,'' said NFL spokesman Michael Signora. "We do not comment on them.''

Among other mistakes detailed in the document, league supervisors wrote that Packers receiver Robert Ferguson should have been ruled out of bounds at the 1-yard line rather than given a 40-yard touchdown reception with 10:48 left in the fourth quarter. The Vikings did not challenge the call via instant replay.

The NFL also wrote that Packers safety Antuan Edwards should have received an unnecessary roughness penalty for hitting Vikings receiver Chris Walsh, who had taken a knee to stop the next-to-last play of the game, and that Packers linebacker Nate Wayne also should have been penalized for blocking receiver Randy Moss in the back on the final play of the game.

Vikings coach Mike Tice declined comment. Team officials are prohibited from discussing confidential communication with the league.

The referee at Sunday's game was Walt Coleman, who has more than a dozen years of NFL experience. Coleman made the "tuck'' call in last season's playoff game between the Oakland Raiders and the New England Patriots, and he made a ruling that cost the Pittsburgh Steelers a victory during the 2000 season.

I guess I wasn't the only one that thought the Packs got that game handed to them....
Old 12-12-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Guess this crew won't be doing the Super Bowl
Old 12-12-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they should allow replay for pass interference calls. As long as they still only get 2 challenges, it will not change game length at all.
Old 12-12-02, 12:28 PM
Banned

No ****. Why do you think the Packs won so many games against the Niners?
Old 12-12-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mysterX
Why do you think the Packs won so many games against the Niners?

whine whine whine whine

Attention everyone. Apparently, the only reason that the Packers win games is because of bad calls. Keep it up Packer bashers.

Last edited by Iron Chef; 12-12-02 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-12-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Iron Chef

whine whine whine whine

Attention everyone. Apparently, the only reason that the Packers win games is because of bad calls. Keep it up Packer bashers.
I think that pass interference call against Chavous was pretty awful. I was watching the game and saw the replays, and that was just a blown call. That turned out to be huge play, negating an interception. I would say the Packers got away with one in this case.
Old 12-12-02, 02:08 PM
drc

Re: Report: NFL admits blown calls in Vikes'/Packers game

The NFL also wrote that Packers safety Antuan Edwards should have received an unnecessary roughness penalty for hitting Vikings receiver Chris Walsh, who had taken a knee to stop the next-to-last play of the game, and that Packers linebacker Nate Wayne also should have been penalized for blocking receiver Randy Moss in the back on the final play of the game.
So, if I understand the logic of Packers fans, hitting a guy who took a knee is okay but hitting a would-be tackler is not.

What a bunch of hypocrites...
Old 12-12-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Report: NFL admits blown calls in Vikes'/Packers game

Originally posted by crooksha
So, if I understand the logic of Packers fans, hitting a guy who took a knee is okay but hitting a would-be tackler is not.

So, which Packer fans said that hitting a guy who took a knee is OK? Come on...name one.
Old 12-12-02, 02:20 PM
Banned

Packs fans gotta admit that the Vikes outplayed them this season. Hmmmm.... why no fines and suspension yet for that game? Could it be that the league wants another Packers victory against the 49ers? Last I know, players, like Brian Cox was suspended in a heartbeat for his behavior. Something sure stinks here.

Last edited by Myster X; 12-12-02 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-12-02, 02:36 PM
drc

Re: Re: Re: Report: NFL admits blown calls in Vikes'/Packers game

Originally posted by cdollaz
So, which Packer fans said that hitting a guy who took a knee is OK? Come on...name one.
And none of them have said it wasn't okay (hence the use of the qualifier "if I understand..."). And that is my point.

This "cheap shot" gets absolutely no discussion but another "cheap shot" gets a multi-page thread about it.

Where's the outrage?!?
Old 12-12-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Packs fans gotta admit that the Vikes outplayed them this season. Hmmmm.... why no fines and suspension yet for that game? Could it be that the league wants another Packers victory against the 49ers? Last I know, players, like Brian Cox was suspended in a heartbeat for his behavior. Something sure stinks here.
Last I heard San Francisco was a bigger market than Green Bay, so why would the NFL want the Packers to win?
Old 12-12-02, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cdollaz
Last I heard San Francisco was a bigger market than Green Bay, so why would the NFL want the Packers to win?
True, but I believe most people would rather see the Packs than Niners in the SB. Niners might well be the dominating franchise in the state, but Packs are more marketable for the league nationwide.
Old 12-12-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, but I believe most people would rather see the Packs than Niners in the SB. Niners might well be the dominating franchise in the state, but Packs are more marketable for the league nationwide.
That's your opinion. Where I live (TX), I see much more Niners gear being worn than Packers gear.
Old 12-12-02, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They blow calls in every game. It's part of life.
Old 12-12-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Not much difference marketing-wise btwn Green Bay and San Fran considering that San Fran (along with Dallas) has more Super Bowl titles than anyone.
Old 12-12-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

*ahem*
Old 12-12-02, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Iron Chef
Apparently, the only reason that the Packers win games is because of bad calls.

Thank you Mr.Obvious!
Old 12-15-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think both plays were okay. The player may have taken a knee, but I don't believe anyone blew a whistle to end the play. No whistle, no stoppage - he could have theoretically gotten back up and run. Teams try trick plays all the time - the refs blew the call by not whistling the play dead when he took a knee.
Old 12-15-02, 12:53 PM
drc

Re: Re: Re: Report: NFL admits blown calls in Vikes'/Packers game

Originally posted by Duran
I think both plays were okay. The player may have taken a knee, but I don't believe anyone blew a whistle to end the play. No whistle, no stoppage - he could have theoretically gotten back up and run. Teams try trick plays all the time - the refs blew the call by not whistling the play dead when he took a knee.
I agree. Both hits were okay with me.

My point was that if the Sapp bashers (or: Packers fans) are outraged about the Sapp hit, then they should feel the same about the Edwards hit.
Old 12-15-02, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That hit was VERY legal because the refs did not blow the whistle. Furthermore, he was not blindsided, or had tendons torn from his hip bone. Edward's hit was wrong, but legal just like Sapp's and Edwards got a fine for it.

I am beside myself that these Packer players are sinking to the level of the players on so many other teams in the league like the Bucs.
Old 12-15-02, 05:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

You make excuses for it but then you say you are are beside yourself, so which is it?
Old 12-15-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
You make excuses for it but then you say you are are beside yourself, so which is it?

Old 12-15-02, 06:16 PM
Mod Emeritus

The Pack is going to lose in the first round of the playoff anyway, so all this talk about teams that won't be there on Super Bowl Sunday is futile anyway. You guys are mediocre at best.
Old 12-15-02, 07:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

Oh yeah, nice win over SF. You guys really showed up, moreso than against the Vikings. Based on what I saw today, that prediction may be totally wrong. We'll see. And no cheap hits from what I saw!
Old 12-15-02, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
The Pack is going to lose in the first round of the playoff anyway, so all this talk about teams that won't be there on Super Bowl Sunday is futile anyway. You guys are mediocre at best.
Unlikely... I think the Packers have a chance against any team in the league right now. With that said, I think they would have a tougher time in Tampa or Philadelphia. In Tampa, they would be so riled up for revenge that that might be enough to win there. Philadelphia... I don't know... I have a hard time believing they are really as good as their record...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.