Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

5 more years of NFL Sunday Ticket on Direc TV

Old 12-11-02, 02:04 PM

5 more years of NFL Sunday Ticket on Direc TV

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021211/110245_1.html

This is good news for Direc TV sports fans.
Old 12-11-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Damn it. This really pisses me off. Why can't they put this on digital cable.
Old 12-11-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why not on Dish. Didn't they just acquire DirecTV?
Old 12-11-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deadpool
Why not on Dish. Didn't they just acquire DirecTV?
No thankfully.
Old 12-11-02, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Red Dog

Forgive me ...

OH HELL YEAH!!!

... sorry, had to get that out. I feel for you, since I knew you were hoping this would go another way. As for why not on digital cable? Because digital cable sucks. Not all digital cable is AT&T, and therefore, it's not all EVIL, but enough of it is to ruin it for everyone else.

Sorry ... maybe there's DirecTV in your future now?

das
Old 12-11-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by das Monkey
Quoth Red Dog

Forgive me ...

OH HELL YEAH!!!

... sorry, had to get that out. I feel for you, since I knew you were hoping this would go another way. As for why not on digital cable? Because digital cable sucks. Not all digital cable is AT&T, and therefore, it's not all EVIL, but enough of it is to ruin it for everyone else.

Sorry ... maybe there's DirecTV in your future now?

das

Not unless my building rotates at least 10 degrees to the south. This is why this exclusivity sucks - not everyone can get Direct-TV. I would get it in a heartbeat if I could - I actually bought all the equipment and the installer came but I miss the satellite by 10 degrees. Damn NFL. You could have put it on both and made a ton more money. Every other league does it.
Old 12-11-02, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's it. I'm 90% likely to be moving to Pennsylvania next year. I'm making sure wherever I live will get DirecTV*

* - So long as I can get DSL there too. Otherwise I might be forced to the cable company so I can get broadband
Old 12-11-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay - I wish it was available for cable as well. I have a question... I can look south but I am 35 floors up. Now the dumb question because I am clueless, can the dish work through a window since I cannot get it outside.
Old 12-11-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Flashback
Okay - I wish it was available for cable as well. I have a question... I can look south but I am 35 floors up. Now the dumb question because I am clueless, can the dish work through a window since I cannot get it outside.

I believe it can but I believe they recommend against it. Make sure you face south (probably due south if you live in Chicago).
Old 12-11-02, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Flashback
It won't work through glass, but you can replace that with plexiglass and it will work. It's a bit trickier getting the alignment exactly right through the window frame but it can be done.

Click this link for info, with pictures ! -

http://www.netwurx.net/~mattyblast/dish.htm
Old 12-12-02, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i agree with das.
Old 12-12-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk God

I just found out that in Canada Sunday Ticket is offered on cable. WTF is up with making it available on cable in Canada but not in the U.S. Once again this really sucks!
Old 12-12-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by NC-36
It won't work through glass, but you can replace that with plexiglass and it will work. It's a bit trickier getting the alignment exactly right through the window frame but it can be done.

Click this link for info, with pictures ! -

http://www.netwurx.net/~mattyblast/dish.htm
Thanks for the link. Unfotunately my window opens in a way that would not allow me to do this. My direction is perfect as I have a panoramic view from east to west looking south. Oh well, time to move somewhere else LOL.
Old 12-12-02, 01:52 PM

It was an open bidding in which DirecTV out bid your cable companies. Get mad at them! The cable companies and Dish had a shot, but it looks like DirecTV wanted it more. I remember when I sold DirecTV systems alot of people bought them just for this reason.

Last edited by kdubby; 12-12-02 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-12-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by kdubby
It was an open bidding. The cable companies and Dish had a shot, but it looks like DirecTV wanted it more. I remember when I sold DirecTV systems alot of people bought them just for this reason.

Seems to me the NFL could have made more by going to both satellite and digital cable. No need to do an exclusive deal. You are also assuming that Direct-TV was the higest bidder. I tend to disbelieve that Direct-TV could outbid the major cable players (Time Warner, Comcast, AT&T, Cox, etc) I think there is something fishy going on behind the scenes here.
Old 02-06-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just checked out the DirecTV website and they said 2003 details are forthcoming.

Can anybody give me a rundown of what the pricing structure was like for 2002?

Any whisperings of how that will change for 2003? Also, any other changes being talked about?
Old 02-10-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bump........anyone have some details for me?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chew9
I just checked out the DirecTV website and they said 2003 details are forthcoming.

Can anybody give me a rundown of what the pricing structure was like for 2002?

Any whisperings of how that will change for 2003? Also, any other changes being talked about?
price last year:
renewal: $139
non-renewal early bird special of $159 by July 31, 2002 then it went to $179.

I would assume (just me talking - no inside info whatsoever) an increase of at least $20, or maybe eliminate the $139 renewal.

As for changes, several things have been hinted at (including multiple angle viewing), don't know the timeline of when they expect to do all of this (I believe the 24-hour NFL station will start this year) - from DirecTV's press release:

"The agreement includes a commitment to expand services to NFL fans, including the launch of the NFL CHANNEL on DIRECTV as early as next year. The NFL CHANNEL will be the first year-round television programming service fully dedicated to the NFL and the sport of football. The NFL CHANNEL will be available seven days a week, 24 hours a day, on a year-round basis.

DIRECTV will continue to have exclusive satellite television rights to NFL SUNDAY TICKET through 2007 and exclusive multichannel television rights through 2005. In addition, the new agreement gives DIRECTV the opportunity for the first time to offer NFL SUNDAY TICKET subscribers exclusive enhanced technical innovations, including high-definition game telecasts, viewer-selected cameras and replays, and other advanced digital technology."

Daryl
Old 02-10-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info!