DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   Let's discuss NFL overtime again, shall we? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/256604-lets-discuss-nfl-overtime-again-shall-we.html)

bishop2knight 12-10-02 10:49 AM

Let's discuss NFL overtime again, shall we?

So, it seems the NFL will discuss possible changes to the overtime rules next time they meet (in may? march?). Personally, I like the overtime the way it is. I don't want to see the college style come into play.

If anything should change, there shouldn't be a coin toss. They should find another way to determine who gets the ball first. I'd be up for having the home team have the choice between getting the ball or defending a certain goal. This overtime change could just be an added benefit of being at home. Homefield advantage taken to a new level.

Any other ideas?

Y2K Falcon 12-10-02 10:50 AM

Re: Let's discuss NFL overtime again, shall we?

Originally posted by bishop2knight
Any other ideas?
Posting it to the correct Forum? :hscratch:

:D

RoyalTea 12-10-02 10:55 AM

make it 10 minutes long. OT ends after ten minutes are up. It should not be sudden death.

The Bus 12-10-02 11:01 AM

In before the move! :up:

-confused-

What a sad life I lead.

:(

jookie 12-10-02 11:08 AM

I've got an express ticket to the Sports Forum!

matta 12-10-02 11:13 AM

Moving to Sports Forum . . .

bishop2knight 12-10-02 11:14 AM

Ooops. I coulda sworn I was in the Sports Forum when I posted.

It's like my first day here all over again.

Myster X 12-10-02 11:18 AM

D'oh!

Red Dog 12-10-02 11:26 AM

Keep it the same.

DeputyDave 12-10-02 11:32 AM

You can't change the coin toss to home teams choice. The team that recieves the ball wins... what 80% of the time or more (unless you're the Chargers :D).

No changing it to a set 10 or 15 minutes with no sudden death would make some fine desperation football, but adding an hour to every OT game would drive the Networks crazy (especially on the East Coast where prime time starts right after the last game).

weargle 12-10-02 11:35 AM

I say make it like a combination of baseball and college rules: the away boys get the ball first on the 25 and have a chance to do whatever. If the home boys can't get it done, they lose, otherwise they win. This eliminates a coin flip and gives some chance of a home field advantage in that they get to see exactly what they have to do. Oh, and keep the two point conversion just to keep it interesting ...

Iron Chef 12-10-02 11:38 AM

I say let the first team to score 6 points win.

cdollaz 12-10-02 11:39 AM

Keep it the same. If a team cannot play good defense or special teams when it counts, then they really have no business winning anyway.

cdollaz 12-10-02 11:43 AM

I'm sure if the Steelers-Texans game would have gone to OT last Sunday, the Texans would have been hoping Pitt would get the ball first. They'd have a better chance of scoring that way.

Red Dog 12-10-02 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Iron Chef
I say let the first team to score 6 points win.

The only problem I have with this rule is that it seems to give an incentive for a team trapped deep in its own territory (assuming it is 0-0 in OT) to take a deliberate safety (rather than risk throwing or punting the ball) since the other team would still have to score a TD to win. Now if you changed it to first team to 5, that alleviates the problem because taking a deliberate safety and then kicking the ball away would be incredibly dumb.

Iron Chef 12-10-02 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
The only problem I have with this rule is that it seems to give an incentive for a team trapped deep in its own territory (assuming it is 0-0 in OT) to take a deliberate safety (rather than risk throwing or punting the ball) since the other team would still have to score a TD to win. Now if you changed it to first team to 5, that alleviates the problem because taking a deliberate safety and then kicking the ball away would be incredibly dumb.
7 points then?

bishop2knight 12-10-02 12:19 PM

I'd be up for pretty much anything as long as they don't do the college style.

Red Dog 12-10-02 12:22 PM

Originally posted by Iron Chef
7 points then?

No - like I said - 5 pts is the better because 7 still creates the incentive to take a deliberate safety. First to 5 eliminates this concern.

El Scorcho 12-10-02 12:40 PM

Each team gets the ball once on the 35 yard line. If tied after both possessions, the game goes to the standard sudden death format.

That's how it should be.

jookie 12-10-02 12:47 PM

I think the current format works fine. I think the actual numbers since sudden death was something like the team to win the coin toss won 51% of the time. Since the late 90s the number has grown to 60%. I don't think that 60% is that terrible considering they don't mention if they win on their opening drive or not. In fact, in the 13 overtime games this season, 6 were won by the receiving team on their opening drive (46%).

If people are really that worried about opening drives in OT, then how about moving the kickoff back to the 35 in OT thus hurting field position which has dramatically increased since the NFL moved the kickoff to the 30.

bishop2knight 12-10-02 12:50 PM

Then again, we could do away with overtime all together. That's more incentive to run up the score during the game.

Red Dog 12-10-02 12:51 PM

Originally posted by jookie
I think the current format works fine. I think the actual numbers since sudden death was something like the team to win the coin toss won 51% of the time.

This is my #1 choice - no change. If they are going to change, the one I would prefer is a first-to-5 pts format (not 6 as I explained earlier).

I absolutely do not want to see a college OT format nor each team is guaranteed at least 1 possession format. Both of these formats give a significant advantage to the team going 2nd. This is not baseball - each team should not be guaranteed an equal number of possessions since either team can score (whether on offense or defense) at any given time.

das Monkey 12-10-02 12:53 PM

Keep it the same, except use an XFL-style scrum instead of a coin toss.

das

Jericho 12-11-02 12:20 AM

I like the current format, I think it works well.

The only suggestion I've heard that would be better is to play an overtime period, no sudden death. I don't think that would work though, because of the beatings the players would take and also the TV time as mentioned above.

They could tinker with the current format though, such as having the team that chooses to recevie or kick based on something (i.e. most total yards). Something you have to earn, and not just luck. This would make it somewhat fairer

Dead 12-11-02 08:42 AM

Several people seem to think that the current format "works well". Personally, I would argue that since it still allows for tie games, the current system in seriously flawed and needs to be changed. Using the same basic system would be fine *if* it was modified enough to ensure that someone earned a win.

The first things that come to mind for improving the current system would be eliminating the game clock and simply playing until someone scores, or doing a reverse El Scorcho. That is, playing 15 minutes as sudden death. If there still isn't a winner, then go to trading possessions at the 35... or maybe start at the 35 and go four downs (no first downs allowed) to speed things up... they could also consider moving the ball back 5 or 10 yards on each subsequent posession, decreasing the odds that both teams could score.