Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Selig & Rose talk possible reinstatement

Old 12-10-02, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Selig & Rose talk possible reinstatement

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1209/1474384.html

There finally might be a light at the end of the tunnel for Pete Rose. Commissioner Bud Selig and Rose met to discuss Rose's possible reinstatement to baseball, sources told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. The two have exchanged proposals since the meeting two weeks ago, but many hurdles still remain.
Old 12-10-02, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk God

93% think he should be reinstated

Old 12-10-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
93% think he should be reinstated

People are getting smarter, it's down to 67%. That no-class gambler doesn't deserve it. The sad thing is that this is all about getting baseball back in the national spotlight instead of being about any change in the case for/against Rose.
Old 12-10-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bralph
People are getting smarter, it's down to 67%. That no-class gambler doesn't deserve it. The sad thing is that this is all about getting baseball back in the national spotlight instead of being about any change in the case for/against Rose.
No, it's 93%. 7% think he should never get in. Yes votes total 93.

And really, why shouldn't he get back in?
Old 12-10-02, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Still looks like 92.6% to me (assuming reasonable rounding since 2% is missing).

das

Edit: Poll just updated ... guess this post is already outdated.
Old 12-10-02, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Still looks like 92.6% to me (assuming reasonable rounding since 2% is missing).

das

Edit: Poll just updated ... guess this post is already outdated.
Oops, perhaps I should have actually read the poll choices instead of just glancing at the numbers.

In regards to why he shouldn't be let back in, how about the extremely good case against him about betting on baseball as a manager league manager. Or how about the fact that he willingly signed a lifetime ban agreement?

Turn the question around. What is the case for letting him back in? Certainly nothing has changed regarding the evidence against him, and Rose has never been particularly apologetic regarding his actions.

Don't talk to me about alcoholics, drug abusers and wife beaters still being able to participate. Gambling is expressly forbidden by MLB and the consequences are clearly spelled out. He knew what would happen if he was caught, and the punishment needs to stand.
Old 12-10-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Count me among the minority. Pete can't change what he did. I don't know why admitting something should change anything.
Old 12-10-02, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
Count me among the minority. Pete can't change what he did. I don't know why admitting something should change anything.
Old 12-10-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When Rose signed the lifetime ban, there was somewhat of an understanding that Giamatti would allow him back in at some point. When Giamatti died, Vincent, and later Selig, have not let him in, partially because of some belief that Rose shoulders some blame for Giamatti's death shortly after the lifetime ban agreement was signed.

My case for letting him back in is nothing more than it's what the fans want. Period. You see the reaction he gets every time they let him out of his cage and allow him to show up at MLB functions.
Old 12-10-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by WildcatLH

My case for letting him back in is nothing more than it's what the fans want. Period. You see the reaction he gets every time they let him out of his cage and allow him to show up at MLB functions.

If baseball really wants to make the fans happy, how about reducing the price of beer at the stadium to under $5.
Old 12-10-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Betting on baseball when you'er a manager is more than a vice - it threatens the integrity of the game. He deserved to be banned.

But then again, I'm also for banning players caught scuffing balls or using corked bats.
Old 12-10-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Duran
Betting on baseball when you'er a manager is more than a vice - it threatens the integrity of the game. He deserved to be banned.

Here is my preemptive to the first person who says 'but how does it hurt the integrity of the game to bet on your own team' or something to that effect.
Old 12-10-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WildcatLH
When Rose signed the lifetime ban, there was somewhat of an understanding that Giamatti would allow him back in at some point. When Giamatti died, Vincent, and later Selig, have not let him in, partially because of some belief that Rose shoulders some blame for Giamatti's death shortly after the lifetime ban agreement was signed.
people think Rose killed Giamatti? never heard that one before.
Old 12-10-02, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He deserved to be banned. IMO, however, he should be allowed in only if he admits wrongdoing. Yes, it may be a silly step, but he deserved to be banned, so he has to do something that makes him deserve unbanning.

All he's done since the banning is prove to me that he's a prick (ok, he's also made the point quite nicely that Selig is a prick too, although we knew that from other things).
Old 12-10-02, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk God

we already had this arguement once

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=207536

with pretty solid arguements both ways.. and my opinion that he should be definitly without a doubt be reinstated has not changed at all
Old 12-10-02, 10:59 AM

we already had this arguement once

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=207536

with pretty solid arguements both ways.. and my opinion that he should be definitly without a doubt be reinstated has not changed at all
Hey, you brought it up...

You must be looking for new arguments to convince you to change your incorrect opinion.
Old 12-10-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't get it, why doesn't he use a different name, and use a different IP address? He could get lessons from jsavko...

Dave
Old 12-10-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dave99
I don't get it, why doesn't he use a different name, and use a different IP address? He could get lessons from jsavko...

Dave
Or that guy "Drink Til She's Cute".
Old 12-10-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
I say let him in.
Old 12-10-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Make him get down on his knees and apologize, then beg to get in. He's a dumbass - he needs to quit being stubborn, admit he was wrong and apologize, once and for all.
Old 12-10-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

now only 92% of 118,358 think he should get in
how many other things will you get this many sports fans to agree on?
Old 12-10-02, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still say he deserves to be in the HOF. Not saying that it was correct to break the rules AS A MANAGER. As a player he was awesome. I wish there were more players that played the game the way Pete did. I also don't care how much of a prick he is either since it does not reflect the numbers he produced. In my opinion, it is not a true HOF if Rose is not included.
Old 12-10-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

now only 92% of 118,358 think he should get in
how many other things will you get this many sports fans to agree on?
People also think Shoeless Joe should be reinstated, even after he took money for the express purpose of throwing a baseball game.
Old 12-10-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Duran
People also think Shoeless Joe should be reinstated, even after he took money for the express purpose of throwing a baseball game.
Like Red Dog did, I'm posting this preemptively for people who think Jackson is innocent and/or should be let in the hall. http://www.espn.go.com/classic/s/2001/0730/1232950.html
Old 12-10-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I believe what I've always believed. No one should be kept off the ballot. If the BBWAA wants to vote him in, they can. If not, their voice will be heard loud and clear. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, if he got less than 5% of the vote, he'd be gone forever anyway. Everyone in the Hall is there because a group of voters selected them. Rose and Jackson and anyone else deserve that same opportunity. If they don't belong in the Hall (as determined by the same system that elects everyone else), they won't get in.

das

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.