DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   Toughest schedule of the year? NCAA Football, revisited (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/256538-toughest-schedule-year-ncaa-football-revisited.html)

Three Day Delay 12-10-02 12:04 AM

Toughest schedule of the year? NCAA Football, revisited

A lot was made in the preseason about whether Texas Tech, Iowa State, or USC had the toughest schedules.

I haven't looked up all of the teams.....but how in the hell do you top this?

Texas Tech played nine bowl teams from this year.

Ohio State
Mississippi
NC State
New Mexico
Iowa State
Colorado
OK State
Texas
Oklahoma

Texas A&M was bowl eligible, but declined. The three remaining teams were SMU, Baylor, and Missouri.

We faced Heisman candidates Maurice Clarett, Eli Manning, Mickey Rivers, Seneca Wallace, Chris Brown, Brad Smih, and Chris Simms.

Plus, we won eight games with marginal recruits.

Quake1028 12-10-02 01:27 AM

Re: Toughest schedule of the year? NCAA Football, revisited

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
We faced Heisman candidates Maurice Clarett, Eli Manning, Mickey Rivers, Seneca Wallace, Chris Brown, Brad Smih, and Chris Simms.
I which universe were most of these guys ever discussed for the Heisman?

The Zizz 12-10-02 02:41 AM

Seneca Wallace was the top candidate for the heisman for about a month early in the season. Maurice Clarett was mentioned breifly, as was Chris Brown. Don't know about those other guys, though.

das Monkey 12-10-02 03:29 AM

My candidates would be Colorado, Texas Tech, Iowa State, and the obvious ... USC. I hate to go with the BCS SoS on this one, but in this case I think they're right.

USC played the whole PAC-10 plus Auburn (one of the top SEC teams), Colorado and K. State (2nd and 3rd place in the Big-XII), and Notre Dame. That's it. They didn't schedule a single creampuff outside of their conference schedule.

Iowa State had it rough playing AT all 4 of the Big-XII power teams (most Big-XII teams only played 2 or 3 of those guys), plus F$U and Iowa, which is damn tough.

Colorado is another team that didn't duck anyone, playing Colorado State, USC, UCLA, and OU twice.

Anyway, Texas Tech had a very admirable schedule, but I have to give the edge to USC overall. Not only did they not play a single non-conference creampuff, but all 4 of those games are against teams that are recent or historic powerhouse programs that also had very good years.

das

nchhabra 12-10-02 05:07 PM

Re: Re: Toughest schedule of the year? NCAA Football, revisited

Originally posted by Quake1028
I which universe were most of these guys ever discussed for the Heisman?
manning and simms were discussed in the preseason. they never really panned out as contenders, and thus no one admitted that they picked them as heisman candidates.

SpacemanSpiff 12-11-02 08:44 PM

how about the hokies?
lets see
texas a&m
lsu
marshall
miami
and the rest of the surprinsing big east!

El Scorcho 12-11-02 10:04 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey

Colorado is another team that didn't duck anyone, playing Colorado State, USC, UCLA, and OU twice.

UCLA? :lol:

Why did you bother mentioning UCLA?

das Monkey 12-11-02 11:07 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> Quoth El Scorcho <HR SIZE=1>UCLA? :lol:

Why did you bother mentioning UCLA?
<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

While they had a rough year, I mention them because they're not a historic creampuff like Southwestern Louisiana Tech or Middle Tennessee State or all those other crap schools certain teams love to play every season. While it turned out to be one of their easier opponents, my point was that they weren't trying to duck teams with their non-conference schedule. UCLA at least has a football program ... compare against Northwestern State and New Mexico State.

das

hypeiv 12-13-02 01:37 AM

Just to clear something up about A&M.

A&M didn't really have a place to go, 9 bowl eligible teams in the big12 and only 8 big12 bowls... A&M had the worst record of the 8 other teams. For A&M to go to a bowl the big 12 would have had to sign some sort of contigency agreement with the big 10 to get us into the motor city bowl (per new rules). It just seemed that big12 couldn't make money sending A&M to a bowl so they just let the dead dog lie. Trust me, if the big12 thought they could make money, they would make A&M go to a bowl game.