Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

I just noticed something looking at the NFL standings

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 12-09-02, 02:42 AM
Banned

The Carolina Panthers have the same record as the St.Louis Rams!

Also the NFC North is downright ugly. Green Bay must be really proud of winning that crap division
Old 12-09-02, 11:45 AM
Banned

There are only three tough divisions in the league IMO.
AFC East
AFC West
NFC South

The rest are like you stated, crap division. Also, dominating team(s) do not exist anymore. Winning team beating a winning team on the road these days are kind of rare.
Old 12-09-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: I just noticed something looking at the NFL standings

Originally posted by evenflowddt
Also the NFC North is downright ugly. Green Bay must be really proud of winning that crap division

Old 12-09-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mysterX
There are only three tough divisions in the league IMO.
AFC East
AFC West
NFC South

The rest are like you stated, crap division. Also, dominating team(s) do not exist anymore. Winning team beating a winning team on the road these days are kind of rare.
Yeah the AFC East is so tough that the top two teams in that division got killed by the Packers, the leader of the crap division.
Old 12-09-02, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by BrewCrew
Yeah the AFC East is so tough that the top two teams in that division got killed by the Packers, the leader of the crap division.
Very interesting... Isn't it?

Packers have to take care of the 40-whiners this weekend. Lions have to upset the Bucs. And Washington has to beat Philly.

Well, I can at least hope, can't I?
Old 12-09-02, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: I just noticed something looking at the NFL standings

Originally posted by evenflowddt
Just because the division is crap does not mean that the Pack are crap. I'm no cheesehead, but they are clearly one of the elite teams in the league. The records of their division rivals doesn't change that.
Old 12-09-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder who will end up with the better record!
Old 12-09-02, 03:44 PM
Banned

You think the Packers' division is tougher than the AFC east?
Old 12-09-02, 03:50 PM
Retired

I believe his point was that Divisions don't matter, and Green Bay is better than any team in the AFC east, as evidenced by them killing the top two teams.
Old 12-09-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mysterX
You think the Packers' division is tougher than the AFC east?
Do I think the Bears, Lions or Vikings are better than anybody in the AFC East. No. But I do believe the Packers are much better than any team in the AFC East. I just get tired of people complaining how easy the Packers have it. There are only six games within the division which leaves games against every team from the AFC East and NFC South plus a game at San Francisco. So the Packers should be proud to win their division even though the teams within their division are not very good.
Old 12-09-02, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I believe his point was that Divisions don't matter, and Green Bay is better than any team in the AFC east, as evidenced by them killing the top two teams.

When they beat the Dolphins they had Lucas throwing passes and could focus entirely on Ricky Williams, if they faced a healthy Miami team the outcome would be very different. Lucas is so bad that you might as well give the opposing team a few touchdowns at the beginning of the game since you know he will throw twice as many picks as TD's, with Fiedler at 100% they can do play action off the running game and are a completely different team.

The only way the Packers will make it to the super bowl is if they manage to have home field advantage through the playoffs since with out home field advantage they are too weak of a team to win out.

I am hoping the dolphins get a real back up QB during the off season
Old 12-09-02, 04:58 PM
Banned

Do I think the Bears, Lions or Vikings are better than anybody in the AFC East. No. But I do believe the Packers are much better than any team in the AFC East. I just get tired of people complaining how easy the Packers have it. There are only six games within the division which leaves games against every team from the AFC East and NFC South plus a game at San Francisco. So the Packers should be proud to win their division even though the teams within their division are not very good.
Well, that's another story. We're talking about division here, not comparing teams. I'll say the Packers are a team to beat if they can prove that they can win on the road against a winning team. That is something the Packers hasn't done this season. If you're gonna say the Packs beat the Pats, well, look at the teams the Pats beat this year. Again, very few teams today can win against a formidable opponent on the road.
Old 12-09-02, 05:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

Can anyone clearly say the Packers are better than the Vikings by their two games this year? Minnesota nicely beat them in the first game and then barely lost the last one. Not sure someone could make the case there, except only when you consider that Greenbay has beat more teams. But in head to head, I say Minnesota is better than Greenbay this year.
Old 12-09-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't even like football anymore. Thanks Pittsburgh.
Old 12-09-02, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Can anyone clearly say the Packers are better than the Vikings by their two games this year? Minnesota nicely beat them in the first game and then barely lost the last one. Not sure someone could make the case there, except only when you consider that Greenbay has beat more teams. But in head to head, I say Minnesota is better than Greenbay this year.
Well, of course we all know that the Rams are better than the Raiders and the Chargers this year... After all, they beat both of them...

Oh... and the Lions are better than the Saints...

The point is... Anyone has a chance on any given Sunday. The Vikings are having a pretty sucky year, while the Packers have done pretty well. It's the overall record that counts. But, anything can happen when 2 teams play. Especially when it is such a big rivalry as exists between the Vikings and Packers. You can throw the records out the window when those 2 teams play. It's going to be a tough game.

Last edited by agrall; 12-09-02 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-09-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
If they were to meet in the Superbowl (it's in San Diego this year, isn't it?) it will not be under 34 degrees and there won't be any snow. Assuming a healthy Miami team I'll pick Fiedler, Williams and the Dolphins over the Packers.
Old 12-09-02, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Similarly, Houston is better than the teams it has beat, same goes with Chicago, and Detroit. If you beat a team, you are automatically better than them and everyone who is below them in the standings. Good point.
Old 12-09-02, 11:59 PM
Banned

I just noticed something about the standings every top team in the NFC has a better record than every top team in the AFC. I'll be happy to see the NFC win the Super Bowl this year because there isn't a single team in the AFC that can stop the Eagles/Bucs/Packers/.
Old 12-10-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally posted by lesterlong
I just noticed something about the standings every top team in the NFC has a better record than every top team in the AFC. I'll be happy to see the NFC win the Super Bowl this year because there isn't a single team in the AFC that can stop the Eagles/Bucs/Packers/.
I just noticed something about the standings. After tonight's massacre the AFC will be +5 overall on the NFC.

It's easier to have better records when you have more crap teams to beat up on.

Edited to add:

I just noticed something else. The NFC has nine teams (over half ) with 5 or fewer wins. The AFC has three (and one is the expansion team).

Last edited by movielib; 12-10-02 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-10-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

also remember the nfl is all about parity these days. any team can be good any year. the bears were 13-3 last year and are headed for 3-13 this year. of the vikings 10 losses, 8 were by a touchdown or less. i am not saying they are good, but they could easily be better and would argue that they are better than their record indicates. the packers still deserve credit for winning their division. just because the other teams suck doesnt mean the packers have to beat them. they could play down to their level, lose a few of those games and be looking at 7-6 instead of 10-3.
Old 12-10-02, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was reading the standings today also to see that my Bears are tied for second in the North 8)

On a serious note if the Pac had a 4-9 record they would lead the division,one of these years that will happen.
Old 12-11-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVDHO
I was reading the standings today also to see that my Bears are tied for second in the North 8)

On a serious note if the Pac had a 4-9 record they would lead the division,one of these years that will happen.
The only thing is if the Packers were 4-9, it means some of their 9 losses would have come in the division, thus the other teams wouldn't be 3-10. More like 6-7 or 7-6.