Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Who is your favorite female athlete?

Old 12-06-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who is your favorite female athlete?

Mine currently is Natalie Coughlin, swimmer for California, my beloved alma mater. She recently won an award for Female World Swimmer of the Year.

She hardly ever loses a race, and if you ever watch swim meets or track meets or any kind of racing, you know that everyone is pretty much at the same level and its often a matter of inches and split seconds to the finish. Well, when Natalie swims, she beats the field by full body lengths. I'm not kidding - I've seen it! What's amazing is that its against the top swimmers in the country.

She's been NCAA Swimmer of the Year for her first two years, holds 31 American records that she's set in 2 years, and 6 World records already. When you break 1 World Record in a year, its an accomplishment. In 2002, she's broken 4. Injured during the last Olympic trials, she'll be the favorite for lots of events in 2004.

Plus, she's a cutie!

Junior Natalie Coughlin was named the 2002 Female World Swimmer of the Year by Swimming World and Junior Swimmer magazine. She was selected from a panel of 12 of the world's most knowledgeable swimming writers from North America, Europe, Australia, Asia, South America and Africa. This is Coughlin's first such honor.

At the U.S. Summer National Championships in August, Coughlin became the first woman to break the one-minute barrier for the 100-meter backstroke (59.58), shattering China's Cihong He's 1994 mark of 1:00.16. At the championships she won five individual titles, the most ever for a swimmer since 1978. Also in August, at the Pan Pacific Championships in Yokohama, Japan, Coughlin won five gold medals (four individual), plus two silver medals in relays.

Recently, Coughlin broke three more world records at the FINA World Cup in East Meadow, N.Y., and ranks first in the world in three different strokes-100m butterfly, 100m backstroke and 100m IM.

During her collegiate 2002 season, Coughlin was named the NCAA Swimmer of the Year for the second consecutive time as she successfully defended each of her national collegiate titles in the 100 and 200-yard backstroke and 100-yard butterfly at the NCAA Championships last April.

A Sullivan Award finalist for the nation's most outstanding amateur athlete in 2002, Coughlin has broken six world records, four of which were shattered in 2002, and 31 American records during her career. As the female world swimmer of the year, Coughlin was also the unanimous choice as Female American Swimmer of the Year.

Australian Ian Thorpe was named the 2002 Male World Swimmer of the Year for the second consecutive time and fourth time in the last five years.
http://calbears.ocsn.com/sports/w-sw...120502aaa.html
Old 12-06-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 12-06-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anna
Old 12-07-02, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
Anna
I think she's disqualified. I'm pretty sure I heard the word athlete.
Old 12-07-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth sexy_overlord

Try again.

16 tour championships in the last 4 years, including 2 Grand Slams (if you're keeping track, that's only 1 fewer than Capriati and Pierce, both of whom have been on the tour nearly twice as long).

#1 female doubles player in the world less that 2 years ago.

Over $3.5 million in prize money.

Personally, I'm starting to become a big Kournikova fan, almost entirely in response to the media's obsessively unfair protrayal of her talent.

das
Old 12-07-02, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Quoth sexy_overlord

Try again.

16 tour championships in the last 4 years, including 2 Grand Slams (if you're keeping track, that's only 1 fewer than Capriati and Pierce, both of whom have been on the tour nearly twice as long).

#1 female doubles player in the world less that 2 years ago.

Over $3.5 million in prize money.

Personally, I'm starting to become a big Kournikova fan, almost entirely in response to the media's obsessively unfair protrayal of her talent.

das
I stand by my opinion based on unresearched, inaccurate second-hand information.
Old 12-07-02, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

das
I'd second that. It seems she's singled out on every Sports show in the word constantly, simply because she's smoking hot and therefore easily recognized when many better (singles) tennis players, especially non-Americans, are unknown.

That and doubles tennis is virtually ignored.

Still she's better than 99.9% of female tennis players, even in singles.
Old 12-07-02, 02:08 AM

If I can't pick Anna then I'll pick Summer Sanders.
Old 12-07-02, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Michelle Kwan
Old 12-07-02, 03:45 AM

Anna K.
Old 12-07-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are there any female athletes you guys admire for their abilities more than their looks? I'm just wondering how many female athletes people can name besides Anna K... And were you actually impressed by their athletic skills?
Old 12-07-02, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mnguye10
And were you actually impressed by their athletic skills?
Old 12-07-02, 01:16 PM

The Williams brothers are good.
Old 12-07-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Annika Sorenstam
And Logan Tom....but thats for different reasons!
Old 12-07-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth mnguye10
Are there any female athletes you guys admire for their abilities more than their looks? I'm just wondering how many female athletes people can name besides Anna K... And were you actually impressed by their athletic skills?

I actually joined the thread to say Mia Hamm, but I have a hard time singling her out over Chastain. While Hamm is the best athlete in her sport, she's more focused on winning games. Chastain, however, is focused on entertaining the fans and building the sport; since its rise in popularity, she took over the ambassador role. She's the one touring talk shows, doing all the free PR stuff, showing up to games early to talk with the kids, etc, and in her prime she was one hell of a defender. When we're talking about "favorites" I think that weighs more heavily on my opinion.

das
Old 12-07-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Quoth mnguye10

I actually joined the thread to say Mia Hamm, but I have a hard time singling her out over Chastain. While Hamm is the best athlete in her sport, she's more focused on winning games.

Speaking of Mia Hamm, apparently she & Nomar Garciaparra just got engaged.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1206/1472634.html
Old 12-07-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Red Dog

... and with that, Nomar achieves "Hero" status.

das
Old 12-07-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Quoth Red Dog

... and with that, Nomar achieves "Hero" status.

das

Yeah. Sergio Garcia is up there as well - he is with Martina Hingis, who happens to get my vote in this thread. Kournikova is hotter IMO but Hingis also brought the game with her good looks. Unfortunately, she can't compete anymore with the manbeasts that dominate women's tennis now.
Old 12-07-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In 100% agreement.

das
Old 12-07-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anna Kournikova
Old 12-07-02, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My vote would be for Martina Hingis.
Old 12-07-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

#1-Sheryl Swoopes
#2-Lucia Rijker
#3-Marion Jones
#4-Jeanette Lee "The Black Widow"
#5-Serena Williams
Old 12-07-02, 04:56 PM

Mia Hamm, Shannon MacMillian

All time favorite - Martina Navratalova (sp?)

RS
Old 12-07-02, 05:14 PM

Shannon Miller...

I love the Summer Olympics... watching teenage girls doing gymnastics. Its not sick because I was a teenage during the last Olympics so theres nothing wrong with that.

And that Domique Moccuiano(sp?) from Atlanta '96 was a cutie..
Old 12-07-02, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

other than Anna, I hate to admit this because i am a cal grad, but I once fell in love with Jennifer Azzi. I was playing pickup games at the Santa Clara U. gym and the Lazers were practicing on the adjacent court. Perfect body... damn. I had to sit and droo, I mean watch them practice for 1/2 an hour.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.