Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Glavine signs 3 year deal with the Mets

Old 12-05-02, 07:27 PM
Retired

Glavine signs 3 year deal with the Mets

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1204/1471165.html

I have mixed feelings about it. Going to the hated Mets makes it worse though.

On one hand he's always been a brave, and been a key to their success, and had a very good season last year. On the other, he looked tired the latter part of the season, and his poor performance in two playoff starts was pretty much the reason the Brave's lost to the giants. Sure they had plenty of chances to win game 5, but it's tough to win a 5 game series when a pitcher gives away 2 games. And if this was an indication that he doesn't have the endurance to pitch at a high level down the stretch, then he's not worth the money he wanted.

I just hope Hampton fills in nicely, and that they resign Maddux. Then his loss will be moot.
Old 12-05-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, beat me to it!

I thought for sure that he would stay with the Braves, or at least sign with the Red Sox (since he's from that area). Now the rivals Mets have him.

Can't believe they let a homegrown Brave go.
Old 12-05-02, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Drat. It sucks to see him go. And it really sucks to see him go to a division rival. I figured they'd make more effort to retain Glavine over Maddux since he came up in the organization. Guess not.

I hope they focus on resigning Maddux now.

Last edited by shizawn; 12-05-02 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-05-02, 07:33 PM
Retired

Originally posted by criptik28

Can't believe they let a homegrown Brave go.
I can believe it for the money he was asking. I believe the Mets gave him $30 million for 3 years, and he's just not worth $10 million a year IMO.

Plus AOL-Time Warner are tight wads, which totally pisses me off. If you aren't willing to pay the bill to win a championship, you shouldn't buy a team. Of course you shouldn't be able to buy championships, but thats the way MLB is set up.
Old 12-05-02, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Welp, that just secured Glavine a 4.50+ ERA for the next 3 years.
Old 12-05-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Mets just guaranteed that they won't make it past the NLDS for 3 years.
Old 12-05-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk God

No matter who you add to the Mets, they will still be the Mets.
Old 12-05-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Both surprising and disappointing. I've been a huge Glavine fan for over a decade in spite of some very poorly timed post season collapses. I admired his tenacity to throw 40 straight balls on the outside corner until he found it, and I admired his eloquence representing our team and the league. But it's overwhelmingly disappointing to see that these two sides could not reach an agreement. And to go to the Mets? People may not like Atlanta, but they're a pretty classy organization, and Glavine always struck me as a class act. The Mets, on the other hand, particularly during the last decade, have been pretty low class in a lot of ways. Just doesn't strike me as a fit on any level.

Of course it's going to take some time and research to see who is to blame for this, but right now I'm pretty damn angry with Glavine. I vowed to stop going to Braves games last year if they didn't resign Smoltzie, and the two parties worked together to make it happen. From the beginning of these negotiations, though, it seemed like this wasn't going to happen. It seems at first glance that the Braves made reasonable offers, and Glavine was a greedy bastard. I'll give it some time before I decide whether I'm going to throw batteries at him next time I'm at Shea.*

das

P.S. Normally, I would never consider throwing batteries at anyone, but come on ... it's the Mets fan way.
Old 12-05-02, 08:27 PM

Hopefully this doesn't mean that the Mets are going to go 'all out' for a win now mode and trade bad contracts for even worse contracts and trade their prospects for more old veterans.
Old 12-05-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Shamu
Hopefully this doesn't mean that the Mets are going to go 'all out' for a win now mode and trade bad contracts for even worse contracts and trade their prospects for more old veterans.
I'd think they'd learn from last year.
Old 12-05-02, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by El Scorcho
Welp, that just secured Glavine a 4.50+ ERA for the next 3 years.
Just curious, but how does Glavine going to Shea secure him a 4.50+ ERA? However, I really doubt that he's going to get 300 wins now.
Old 12-05-02, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Shamu

Wouldn't surprise me. They've needed to tear down and rebuild for a while now, but that run to the World Series a few years back has them disillusioned into believing it's just going to take a few million more dollars. Fine by me if they keep screwing around like this. It's just going to make it more difficult to rebuild when they finally get around to accepting it.

das
Old 12-05-02, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk God

glavine was really big on wanting to reach 300 wins before he retires
he is at like 242, which means he needed another 58..
he was figuring he needed 3-4 seasons, and he was worried that he would get close and then not have a team to play for

basically, he pointed out that he was doing this for the statistics
Old 12-05-02, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If the Braves offered 3 and the Mets are claiming there's no guaranteed 4th year, I don't see how that works.

das
Old 12-05-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
basically, he pointed out that he was doing this for the statistics
i wish i could get paid millions of dollars to do stuff for "statistics"
Old 12-05-02, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by das Monkey
If the Braves offered 3 and the Mets are claiming there's no guaranteed 4th year, I don't see how that works.

das
braves offered 2 with an option on a 3rd
mets offered 3 with an option for 4th

he knew he couldnt get 4 guaranteed from anyone
Old 12-05-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

well as a Mets fan (I know I know sometimes it's HARD) I'm happy about this. I've always liked Glavine.

On the Mets message board I think there are more people upset than happy about this. Due to the money being high, and the hinting that because of this deal it "may" be the reason they WON'T sign Alfonso.
I hope they still sign Fonzi (unless something is REALLY wrong with his back that they aren't telling us).

And we'll see about the 300 wins...... Shea stadium HAS been known to be the place where STARS and WINNERS go TO LOSE!!!!
Old 12-05-02, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth twikoff
braves offered 2 with an option on a 3rd
mets offered 3 with an option for 4th

You're right. I read the article wrong the first time. Thanks.

das
Old 12-05-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by briank
well as a Mets fan (I know I know sometimes it's HARD) I'm happy about this. I've always liked Glavine.

On the Mets message board I think there are more people upset than happy about this. Due to the money being high, and the hinting that because of this deal it "may" be the reason they WON'T sign Alfonso.
I hope they still sign Fonzi (unless something is REALLY wrong with his back that they aren't telling us).

And we'll see about the 300 wins...... Shea stadium HAS been known to be the place where STARS and WINNERS go TO LOSE!!!!
I'm a New Yorker, but I prefer a real team But I can clearly see that they *need* to resign Alfonzo for PR if nothing else.

BTW, what's the Met's messageboard? From the official site?
Old 12-05-02, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Bushdog
I'm a New Yorker, but I prefer a real team But I can clearly see that they *need* to resign Alfonzo for PR if nothing else.

BTW, what's the Met's messageboard? From the official site?
yeah I was talking about the one at the official site.
Most of the day on the Mets board people just complained "SIGN FONZIE, save the money and don't spend it on Glavine"
And the Philly board had all day "confirmed Glavine is going to be announced as a PHILLY tomorrow! YEAH!"
It was funny how it changed over the 4 hours!

Yes Alfonzo has been the heart of the Mets according to MANY MANY Mets fans. Real backlash if they don't resign him. They are hesitant to give him arbitration because they don't want to give him a $1mill raise on the $6+ he made this year. And Yankees are no longer an option since the resigning of Ventura.
Old 12-05-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by briank
yeah I was talking about the one at the official site.
Most of the day on the Mets board people just complained "SIGN FONZIE, save the money and don't spend it on Glavine"
And the Philly board had all day "confirmed Glavine is going to be announced as a PHILLY tomorrow! YEAH!"
It was funny how it changed over the 4 hours!
My Brother (a diehard Mets fan) called me around six to tell me that it was official, 1010 WINS announced Glavine was a Phil. Then he said WFAN didn't say anything yet. . .I searched the web and they weren't saying anything 1 way or another, and then within the hour the Mets announced. I guess the Philly media and fans got ahead of themselves.
Old 12-05-02, 10:26 PM

My Brother (a diehard Mets fan) called me around six to tell me that it was official, 1010 WINS announced Glavine was a Phil. Then he said WFAN didn't say anything yet. . .I searched the web and they weren't saying anything 1 way or another, and then within the hour the Mets announced. I guess the Philly media and fans got ahead of themselves.
Actually it stemmed from an article online at the NY Post.
It basically stated Philly had the lead.
After the meeting fell flat with Atl yesterday, and dealings with the Mets "fell through" today/yesterday the Phillies were the front runner.
Then that lead to other media outlets practically "confirming" the Philly deal.
I saw these articles, hell one was linked from mlb's Philly site around 5pm. Then, next thing you know the NY deal is announced.
Old 12-05-02, 10:27 PM

And now some on the Phillies board are predicting the return of Schilling and/or Colon for THIS YEAR!

They have improved their team greatly, and the above seems like too much wishfull thinking but if they get some pitchers (1 good starters and a few in the bullpen) they could look real strong this year.
Old 12-05-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*sobbing* WHY?!!!!! Ya traitor! Glavine and MAddux has always been two of my favorite pitchers. I guess Maddux's it now.
Old 12-05-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As a Mets fan, I am happy with this move provided that they re-sign Alfonzo.

If they don't than it will probably be a waste of money.

They still shed a lot of salary after 2003, so hopefully they will be able to spend some money on 1 or 2 of the more attractive free agents next year...preferably an outfielder.

A good move for Fred Wilpon. He had to show that he is willing to shell out the cash since Doubleday is now out. Hopefully it will work out. If nothing else, Glavine should do really well at Shea since it is a pitchers park.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.