Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

How bout them Pacers?

Old 12-05-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How bout them Pacers?

Being from Indianapolis, I have to say how surprised and pleased I am to see the hometown boys doing so well. I've watched them play a few times, and it's nice to see that they have finally learned to rebound and not rely on the same 2 guys to do all their scoring every night. Even with the overpaid bumbling doofus Austin Croshere sucking it up for 10 minutes a game and Brad Miller getting T'd up for breathing on people, this is the most solid Pacers team I've seen in .... well, ever. Thoughts?
Old 12-05-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How bout them Pacers?

Bob Whitsett is an idiot. Jermaine Oneal for Dale Davis is reason #12850.
Old 12-05-02, 05:56 PM

Re: Re: How bout them Pacers?

Originally posted by juiio
Bob Whitsett is an idiot. Jermaine Oneal for Dale Davis is reason #12850.
D Squared was a fan-favorite here in Indiana for a long time though. I'm not sure whether it was his inablility to make free throws or his inablility to make any shot outside the paint, but something about him just made him the man.
Old 12-05-02, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I tell ya, even I was a bit skeptical with some of the things Donnie Walsh has done over the last few years, but man what a team he's put together. This is one of the deepest Pacers' teams I can remember in quite some time, with even Croshure contibuting some excellent numbers off of the bench.

As long as O'Neal stays healthy this team has a legitimate shot at outlasting the likes of PHIL, BOS & NJ. I like them over the course of a 7-game series because they do indeed run so deep and can pound the hell out of the boards.

Oh, and I was NOT at all skeptical about the Jalen Rose trade w/ Chicago. He was never gonna be happy in Indiana unless he was the man to bring the ball up, pass it once, get it back and score. Artest and Mercer have been simply awesome. And getting rid of dribble-the-shot-clock-down-to-two-seconds Travis Best was a welcome relief.

Last edited by indianajdp; 12-05-02 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-05-02, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's amazing what a player can do when you actually play him (O'Neal)

The whole blazers front office is a bunch of dipsh**s.
Old 12-05-02, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by El Scorcho
It's amazing what a player can do when you actually play him (O'Neal)

The whole blazers front office is a bunch of dipsh**s.
As much as we loved Double D in Indy, most knew what a steal it was to get Jermaine O'Neal. The fact that he blossomed so quickly with this team was a bonus.
Old 12-05-02, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by indianajdp
And getting rid of dribble-the-shot-clock-down-to-two-seconds Travis Best was a welcome relief.
You forgot the part where he fakes himself out and dribbles the ball off his foot.
Old 12-05-02, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by sexy_overlord
You forgot the part where he fakes himself out and dribbles the ball off his foot.

Seriously, have you ever gotten mad watching someone dribble a basketball? I used to get furious with him when he'd waste important possessions dribbling between his legs with no one guarding him.
Old 12-05-02, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by indianajdp

Seriously, have you ever gotten mad watching someone dribble a basketball? I used to get furious with him when he'd waste important possessions dribbling between his legs with no one guarding him.
I honestly don't know what I found more irritating. Travis Best's 22 second dribble-fests or Jalen Rose's full court "Hail Mary" in-bounds passes in games where the Pacers were up or down by 1 point with 6 seconds left in the game.
Old 12-05-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: How bout them Pacers?

Yep, DD had certain intensity when he played for the pacers that the crowd fed on, that he's seems to have lost out in portland. AD was also a favorite, I questioned that trade a few times. He's certainly stepped his game up though, especially compared to dale. I just hope zeke can keep everybody on the bench happy over the course of the season, because there is a lot of talent riding the pine there.

Dave
D Squared was a fan-favorite here in Indiana for a long time though. I'm not sure whether it was his inablility to make free throws or his inablility to make any shot outside the paint, but something about him just made him the man.
Old 12-05-02, 07:19 PM

I miss Rik Smits. He was the man when his feet didn't suck. I don't know where he got the nickname "The Dunkin' Dutchman" though. I think I saw him dunk maybe 4 times in 10 years. Most of the time he just put up that awesome hook shot.
Old 12-05-02, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Every now and then he would get free underneath, and do that little 1 hand jam that barely moved the rim. Not even sure if you can call the a dunk.
Dave
I miss Rik Smits. He was the man when his feet didn't suck. I don't know where he got the nickname "The Dunkin' Dutchman" though. I think I saw him dunk maybe 4 times in 10 years. Most of the time he just put up that awesome hook shot.
Old 12-05-02, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by Dave99
Every now and then he would get free underneath, and do that little 1 hand jam that barely moved the rim. Not even sure if you can call the a dunk.
Dave
Yeah, he never did really throw one down with authority, or show any emotion at all for that matter. I think the most emotion I ever saw from him was when he hit that game-winner at home against Orlando in one of the 1995 Eastern Conference Final games. He actually raised his arms in the air after it went in, and I think he almost jumped.
Old 12-05-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dale Davis has lost that intensity because Portland's coaches (due to bad front office moves) are forcing him to play Center most of the time. He's much smaller than most centers, picks up more fouls, and as a result, spends most of his time in foul trouble on the bench. Hard to stay intense when you're riding the pine.

I knew O'Neal was going to be a star and was pissed off when Portland shipped him out for Davis. First, O'Neal is big enough to play against most centers. Davis is on the downhill part of his career. Portland's Arvydas Sabonis was about ready to turn 94 years old. Why get rid of the center of the future in favor of great-grandpa Sabonis and grandpa Davis?

Idiots. Portland threw away their future for one shot at a title in 2000 and choked.

Sucks being a fan when the front office people are morons.
Old 12-08-02, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hope it lasts, that would be cool to see Reggie Miller get close if not in the Finals again.
Old 12-08-02, 11:11 AM

Damn it! Why is it every time I mention how good the Pacers are doing they go out and lose to Denver? Damn Pacers!
Old 12-08-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

last night ruled!