Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Are the Mavs for real?

Old 12-04-02, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are the Mavs for real?

I don't follow pro basketball.....I just sort of tune it out when I hear news about it on sports radio.

The Mavericks have a great record to start the season. Are they playing soft opponents, are they lucky, or are they the real deal?
Old 12-04-02, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes they are a real NBA team, here is their official site.

http://www.nba.com/mavericks/
Old 12-04-02, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mopower
Yes they are a real NBA team, here is their official site.

http://www.nba.com/mavericks/
How helpful! Thank you.
Old 12-04-02, 11:55 PM
Retired

Yes.

They were one of the best offensive teams in the league last year, but played little defense.

This year the offense is still there, and the defense has improved some.

Plus they've been having this success with LaFrentz (and I believe Van Exel) out with injuries.

I still don't think they can beat the Kings or Lakers (assuming they get straightened out) in a 7 game series, but they're definitely no worse than the 3rd best team in the league.
Old 12-05-02, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the Mavs can easily beat any team in the league on a good night. As for a series I think they can definitely beat the Kings or Lakers. The Lakers aren't as good as they were a couple of years ago and aside from Bibby (Dallas has damn good guards to counter him) the Kings don't have any guys that can hit big shots.
Old 12-05-02, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
I think the Mavs can easily beat any team in the league on a good night. As for a series I think they can definitely beat the Kings or Lakers. The Lakers aren't as good as they were a couple of years ago and aside from Bibby (Dallas has damn good guards to counter him) the Kings don't have any guys that can hit big shots.

how high are you right now, try Bibby. Christy, Peja, Webber, Turkogulu, etc.
Old 12-05-02, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you watch the same Western Conference Finals that I did last year?

I don't give a crap about the regular season. The only guy I saw repeatedly hitting the shots that counted was Bibby.

Webber
Old 12-05-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

webber can hit important shots, he just doesn't take them at the end of the game. ok, did anyone not see Christie air ball an important 3 against the Lakers?!?
Old 12-05-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bigsoos
webber can hit important shots, he just doesn't take them at the end of the game. ok, did anyone not see Christie air ball an important 3 against the Lakers?!?
well, in light of his dad's recent court documents, webber may not even be there to take the shots at the end of the game. Besides, every time, Webber takes an "important shot" it always seems to be one of those 18 footers. Go to the hole, power forward!!!

But the mavs IMO are clutch. Finley is an awesome guy to go to at the end of the game. And Nash ain't so bad himself. I'd have to say that I would think that the Mavs would be able to take out the Kings and/or Lakers (so long as Lafrentz is there. I seriously doubt String Bean (Bradley) can guard Shaq or any other big for a series)
Old 12-05-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

at 10-0, it MIGHT be a fluke. at 17-1 it's very, very real.
Old 12-05-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, they are good, just not quite as good as my pacers

Dave
Old 12-05-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

but can they beat the bulls 72-10 mark?

no, of course there is no chance of that.. but still pretty impressive run to start this season
Old 12-05-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, Mavs are good, but may be better without Van Exel on the court.

As far as the playoffs, we can speculate all we want, but until the Lakers are beaten when it counts, everyone else is just pretending. The Lakers have already proven they can turn it on when it counts, but maybe this year someone will break through.

As far as the Kings hitting clutch shots, they have plenty that can. What have the Mavs ever done to show that they are clutch. They've never been out of the second round.
Old 12-05-02, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This whole "Lakers are unstoppable" crap needs to reexamined. Last year, the Kings gave them a great run. The Kings poor clutch play beat them though. Even Lakers fans admit that the Kings could have easily won that series had the Kings made a few more clutch plays. Last year, the Kings came out with the best record in the West last year, but not by an amazing margin. This year the Mavericks have completely dominated the regular season. True, they aren't playoff tested, but neither were the Kings last year. The Mavs are this year's Kings, except with one difference IMO. Finley, Nash, and Nowitzi aren't players who shy away from big shots (like Webber). In the playoffs, the stakes are bigger so it may have an impact. We shall see.
Old 12-05-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RJainMJ
This whole "Lakers are unstoppable" crap needs to reexamined.
Well, let's wait until they ARE stopped to examine it. Every year alot of people say they are overrated, and every year they win. Until someone beats them when it counts, they are still the best.
Old 12-05-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WhattheFFF
how high are you right now, try Bibby. Christy, Peja, Webber, Turkogulu, etc.
He said BIG SHOTS. Those five combined to throw up some of the WORST shots I have ever seen at the end of the games against the Lakers in the playoffs last season. Wide open looks that were about three to five feet off.
Old 12-05-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by juiio
He said BIG SHOTS. Those five combined to throw up some of the WORST shots I have ever seen at the end of the games against the Lakers in the playoffs last season. Wide open looks that were about three to five feet off.
And what BIG SHOTS have any of the Mavs ever hit in the conf. finals. Oh wait, they've never been. We'll see how the Kings do this year now that they are more experienced.
Old 12-05-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cdollaz
And what BIG SHOTS have any of the Mavs ever hit in the conf. finals. Oh wait, they've never been. We'll see how the Kings do this year now that they are more experienced.
Did I mention the Mavericks? No.
Old 12-05-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did I mention the Mavericks? No.
This thread is about the Mavericks. If you have nothing to add about the Mavericks, why are you even here? Just wanted to get a slam in on the Kings, huh?
Old 12-05-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread is about the Mavericks. If you have nothing to add about the Mavericks, why are you even here? Just wanted to get a slam in on the Kings, huh?
Because WhatTheFFF brought up the Kings and I was replying to him.
Old 12-05-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because WhatTheFFF brought up the Kings and I was replying to him.
Yes, he brought them up by saying he didn't think they had any clutch shooters...right after he said that the Mavs do. You are basing your opinion on one year's playoff series. Most teams struggle their first time they get to a higher level in the playoffs. Making an opinion based on a few games is ludicrous. The Kings have many great shooters who will be clutch shooters at some point, maybe this year.
Old 12-05-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Mavs have the talent to play with ANY team in the league, so they sure as hell can beat the Lakers or Kings. Will they? Time will tell. But as for big shots, in addition to those mentioned, they also have Van Exel, who over the years, like him or hate him, has proved to be one of the best big shot makers in the NBA.
Old 12-05-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, he brought them up by saying he didn't think they had any clutch shooters...right after he said that the Mavs do. You are basing your opinion on one year's playoff series. Most teams struggle their first time they get to a higher level in the playoffs. Making an opinion based on a few games is ludicrous. The Kings have many great shooters who will be clutch shooters at some point, maybe this year.
The key word being he said that the Mavs do, not I. I was debating whether or not the Kings had any other clutch shooters than Bibby.

Saying that those people aren't clutch shooters based on one series is a lot less ludicrous than saying that they ARE clutch shooters based on NO series. Until they prove otherwise, they'll be judged based on thir performance last year, in which they choked horribly with the exception of Bibby.

Many people may struggle, yes that is true, but like I said, those were some of the worst misses I've EVER seen in a clutch situation. Very Ankiel-esque misses. Wide open looks that were complete airballs (not even CLOSE to hitting the rim) or hard misses off the backboard nowhere near the basket.

Also, that wasn't the first instance of Webber not performing at the end of a critical game. Timeout anyone?

Last edited by Jeremy517; 12-05-02 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-05-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saying that those people aren't clutch shooters based on one series is a lot less ludicrous than saying that they ARE clutch shooters based on NO series. Until they prove otherwise, they'll be judged based on thir performance last year, in which they choked horribly with the exception of Bibby.

Also, that wasn't the first instance of Webber not performing at the end of a critical game. Timeout anyone?
It can be said that they ARE clutch shooters because of 82 games last year when they had the best record in the league. They made clutch shots in the first 3 playoff series, just not the last one. One bad series (out of 3) is not enough to brand players as not being clutch. They WERE clutch in most of their games, just happened to have a few bad ones in the end.

AS for Webber, why would one play 10 years ago WHEN HE WAS 19 YEARS OLD have anything to do with this conversation. Once again, you are taking 1 play and using it to judge a player. Sure, maybe he disappeared in the series against the Lakers (after having 2 great series), but perhaps that was because he had never played games of that importance and nutted up a little. See how he does over his entire career before labeling him a choke.
Old 12-05-02, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It can be said that they ARE clutch shooters because of 82 games last year when they had the best record in the league. They made clutch shots in the first 3 playoff series, just not the last one. One bad series (out of 3) is not enough to brand players as not being clutch. They WERE clutch in most of their games, just happened to have a few bad ones in the end.

AS for Webber, why would one play 10 years ago WHEN HE WAS 19 YEARS OLD have anything to do with this conversation. Once again, you are taking 1 play and using it to judge a player. Sure, maybe he disappeared in the series against the Lakers (after having 2 great series), but perhaps that was because he had never played games of that importance and nutted up a little. See how he does over his entire career before labeling him a choke.
I think you need to take a look at your definition of clutch shooting. 82 regular season games? So games against the Nuggets, Grizzlies, etc are relevant to this discussion how? Even game #23 out of 82 against ANYONE is relevant to this discussion how?

Even the other playoff series last year are mostly irrelevant. Someone on the team other than Bibby needed to step up when needed most: against the other top team in the league, the Lakers. Three years in a row they've gone down to the Lakers. Why is it that they "just happened to have a few bad ones in the end" every time in the playoffs against the Lakers. SOMEONE else PLEASE step up.

History is just not on your side here...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.