Reload this Page >

Well it looks like Notre Dame might get left out of the BCS after all

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 12-04-02, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk God

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2002/1203/1470791.html

I suppose Irish fans should start making plans for Dallas (unless Wash State loses on Saturday).
Old 12-04-02, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-04-02, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it would be a total screwjob for USC if they picked Notre Dame over the Trojans for a BCS bowl.
Old 12-04-02, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mnguye10
Well, it would be a total screwjob for USC if they picked Notre Dame over the Trojans for a BCS bowl.
Yea If ND had kept it close they could pick ND over USC b/c it is really all about the money. I don't think they will pick ND since the human polls have underrated ND a lot this year (compaired to the computers) and the players at USC earned it.

What I mean by the humans have underrated ND is compaired to what the computers think. If you look at the Human Average vs the Computer Avg on the BCS week by week the human Avg was always at least 2 spots higher and is currently 6 spots higher. I haven't watched enough of ND, USC, Iowa, Washington St, Mich or KSU games to say where i think ND should rank.
Old 12-04-02, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mnguye10
USC is guaranteed a spot because of the Kansas State rule. If you finish in the top4 of the BCS and you don't get an automatic bid, then you automatically get an at large bid. This is a result of 1998 when Kansas State finished 11-1 and #3 in the BCS and ended up in the Alamo Bowl (which they ended up losing. Supporters said they didn't care about the Alamo Bowl and had no motivation. Detractors said that it showed how weak their 11-1 record was, due to their schedule).
Old 12-04-02, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by juiio
USC is guaranteed a spot because of the Kansas State rule. If you finish in the top4 of the BCS and you don't get an automatic bid, then you automatically get an at large bid. This is a result of 1998 when Kansas State finished 11-1 and #3 in the BCS and ended up in the Alamo Bowl (which they ended up losing. Supporters said they didn't care about the Alamo Bowl and had no motivation. Detractors said that it showed how weak their 11-1 record was, due to their schedule).
but whatever the case .... Purdue won
Old 12-04-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk God

i dont think anyone can argue with usc and iowa getting the spots

but with gesser out, wsu is not a lock over ucla
Old 12-04-02, 07:55 AM

The Gator Bowl gets the first choice of Notre Dame if they don't make it into the BCS.
Old 12-04-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This might have been covered in an earlier thread, but I thought Iowa got an automatic bid for winning the Big 10. In years past, the team with the best conference record won the Big 10. The tiebreaker was always who had gone the longest since playing in the Rose Bowl. Iowa had gone longer than Ohio State so I thought they would get the automatic bid for the Big 10. Seems like I'm wrong though
Old 12-04-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Jericho
This might have been covered in an earlier thread, but I thought Iowa got an automatic bid for winning the Big 10. In years past, the team with the best conference record won the Big 10. The tiebreaker was always who had gone the longest since playing in the Rose Bowl. Iowa had gone longer than Ohio State so I thought they would get the automatic bid for the Big 10. Seems like I'm wrong though
i thought the tie breaker was out of conference?
or was it that there isnt a tie breaker, and that they share the title?
*cough*conference championship game!!*cough*

either way, ohio state got the automatic big10 tie in
iowa was poised to be left out in the cold, but I guess the guys decided to do something right for a change!
Old 12-04-02, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Big 10 and the ACC should not get automatic bids to BSC games until they have conference championship games. Period.
Old 12-04-02, 09:48 AM

The Big 10 and ACC do not have enough members to have conference championship games. I'm curious as to why you didn't include the PAC 10 on your request.

I personally think that conference teams should play everyone else in the conference. That way we wouldn't be left with years like this one in which two great teams in a conference (Ohio State and Iowa) don't play one another.
Old 12-04-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BCorbett
The Big 10 and ACC do not have enough members to have conference championship games. I'm curious as to why you didn't include the PAC 10 on your request.

I personally think that conference teams should play everyone else in the conference. That way we wouldn't be left with years like this one in which two great teams in a conference (Ohio State and Iowa) don't play one another.
Just didn't think about Pac10. It's easy. Either every team plays each other, or you have a conference championship game. Until then, a conference should not be allowed an automatic BCS bid.
Old 12-04-02, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk God

how many is enough??

in my opinion.. if your conference is too big to play every team in the conference, than you should have a conference championship game.. there is no excuse for having 2 undefeated teams from the same conference, and a shared conf championship.
Old 12-04-02, 09:59 AM

I'm pretty sure the rule is 12 conference members allows you to have a championship game.

Speaking for the ACC, I don't really know of 3 other schools that they could add that would make sense in order to get to the magic number of 12, unless you could convince schools to leave another conference. The only problem there is that it would be hard to convince the basketball purists to give up the home and home series every year with all other other teams in conference.

Last edited by BCorbett; 12-04-02 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-04-02, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm pretty sure the rule is 12 conference members allows you to have a championship game.
hmmm.. i could have sworn Ive seen some wac conference championship games..and they only have like 10 teams
Old 12-04-02, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by twikoff
hmmm.. i could have sworn Ive seen some wac conference championship games..and they only have like 10 teams

I've been wrong many times before, but I thought during one of the ACC expansion debates that happen every offseason on other boards I saw someone post NCAA rules that require 12.
Old 12-04-02, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk God

I've been wrong many times before, but I thought during one of the ACC expansion debates that happen every offseason on other boards I saw someone post NCAA rules that require 12.
that could be true.. i think teams have switched conferences and left the wac.. so maybe they use to have 12 teams...
Old 12-04-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even if it is true, that is still stupid. Why should a conference have to have a certain number of teams to have a conf. champ. game?
Old 12-04-02, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

talk about irony.

BC beats ND. that game pretty much cost ND a BCS bowl. If ND goes to the Gator bowl, it pushes all the other Big East teams down a slot. The Big East has five tie ins and BC is in fifth place.

BC's victory over ND may have cost them a bowl game.
Old 12-04-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RoyalTea
talk about irony.

BC beats ND. that game pretty much cost ND a BCS bowl. If ND goes to the Gator bowl, it pushes all the other Big East teams down a slot. The Big East has five tie ins and BC is in fifth place.

BC's victory over ND may have cost them a bowl game.

A 5th or 6th place Big East team possibly getting to go to a bowl. Just further proof that there are too many damn bowls.
Old 12-04-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure why this is funny or a source of such discussion.

Iowa and USC are the clear favorites under any system of logic. If the Orange takes anyone (not just Notre Dame) over these two, they're freakin' idiots.

das
Old 12-04-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by das Monkey
Not sure why this is funny or a source of such discussion.

Iowa and USC are the clear favorites under any system of logic. If the Orange takes anyone (not just Notre Dame) over these two, they're freakin' idiots.

das
i dont think its funny..
Im sure the people that find it funny, are ND haters.. so no big deal there

but its a topic of discussion because its finally putting a little light on a subject we have been discussing for quite awhile now (iowa & usc in the bcs)
Old 12-04-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth twikoff
but its a topic of discussion because its finally putting a little light on a subject we have been discussing for quite awhile now (iowa & usc in the bcs)

I guess I just don't see why the media is so obsessed with this. There's been this assumption that Notre Dame would be taking someone else's spot, but no one's ever claimed that would actually happen. If I recall, the Orange Bowl said they'd like to get Notre Dame, but they were 10-1 at the time, and they hadn't yet lost to USC.

Everyone's been bitching like crazy as if something actually went wrong when it's seemed clear for a long time that Iowa and USC were going to be the two at large teams (assuming Miami and UGA and WSU win out).

Anyway, there's no question in my mind that Iowa and USC are BCS teams regardless of what happens. I think WSU and UGA still have to earn their spots though. If one or both lose, Notre Dame, K. State, and Texas are all knocking on the door. In fact, K. State's trying to get in the back door with the Orange Bowl.

What I found interesting from that article is that Penn State has accepted the Citrus Bowl. Now if UGA loses to Arkansas, that presents what I think could be a very entertaining game between the Dawgs and the Nittanys.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 12-04-02 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-04-02, 11:24 AM
Retired

I'll say it again, ND better not fall to the Gator, and screw WVU out of the bowl they earned with a great season. ND needs to join a damn conference, or just stay home when they don't get a BCS bowl, and quit mooching of the Big East bowls.

They already play several Big East teams each year (Pitt, BC, and Rutgers this year). The Big East is kicking temple out and bringing in UCONN, I don't see why they can't kick Rutgers out and Bring in ND. They'd only play 7 conference games a year, leaving 4-6 (depending on year and participation in Kickoff Classic) to play their traditional rivals like Michigan St., USC, etc. Plus they'd have a chance to get an automatic bid every year by winning a conference championship.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.