Woman golfer on the PGA tour?

Old 12-03-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Woman golfer on the PGA tour?

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/story?id=1470484

Did they forget about the LPGA?
Old 12-03-02, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk God

If she hits off the same tees, I don't care.
Old 12-03-02, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is just a promotional stunt.

If there was no tour for women, then sure by all means let her in, but there is a LPGA so that isn't an issue. Obviously they'd never let a man play on the LPGA. If the best women golfers left the LPGA and played on the PGA tour permanently, the LPGA would be ruined.
Old 12-03-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Big deal.

Let her go out and shoot her 82-85 and be done with it.
Old 12-03-02, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I care. It's a double standard. Men can't play on the women's tour, but women can play on the men's? PC Nazis need to pick one: either men and women are different or they're the same; can't have it both ways. Allowing women to play with the men and denying the reverse is a direct statement that women are not as good at sports as men. I believe that's insulting to women.

Everyone would go apeshit if there were a MPGA. Hell, look at all the nonsense over Augusta, a privately funded club that embraces the values of male bonding on a golf course. It's no different from the YMCA or Boy's Club or Boy Scouts. As long as women can play golf at their own private clubs if they want to, leave the men alone.

The same goes for the PGA. The LPGA is a marketable and profitable business. Women who are great at golf have every opportunity to compete at a high level and make a career out of it. The hypocrisy of our beloved country is disgusting sometimes.

das
Old 12-03-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thats like around here Lifetime fitness has some locations that are women only, but there are no men onlys just coed, and women only.
Old 12-03-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup Das. That is what I was trying to say. You said it a lot better though.
Old 12-03-02, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with Das. No penis no play
Old 12-03-02, 09:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

I don't believe it says anywhere in the PGA rules of tournament golf, the golfers can't be women. If it's not a rule, let her play and shoot the score that El Scorcho mentioned.

On the other hand, it is a rule that men can't play in a LPGA tournament and that young men/women can't play in the seniors tournament.
Old 12-03-02, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a feeling she is going to get humiliated. Oh well, as mentioned before... as long as she plays from the same tees, who cares.
Old 12-03-02, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, she didn't play from the same tees during qualifying. She wouldn't have won without the ladies' tees.
Old 12-04-02, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep, and she's gonna get owned once she has to hit from the mens tees.

But hey, all that aside, is she hot?
Old 12-04-02, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by El Scorcho

But hey, all that aside, is she hot?

PICS?!

j/k I saw her on ESPN and I'll pass on the pics.
Old 12-04-02, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Red Dog
If she hits off the same tees, I don't care.
i agree

its not like they started the lpga to keep men from playing in their league.. they started it because they couldnt play in the men's league
i really doubt they would try to keep men from playing in it

i dont have any problem with it..
although, I also dont have any problem with certain clubs (like the masters) not allowing women to play at specific tournaments (because I think private clubs should have that right)
Old 12-04-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"210 yard par 3... and Whaley RIPS a driver right at the hole.."

"Oh, she got all of that one! This one might roll up on the green!"
Old 12-04-02, 02:37 PM
Mod Emeritus

Actually twikoff, if a woman qualified for the masters, she would most definitely play there. Augusta doesn't have any sort of ban on women playing there, they just are selective of members is all. I read that Hooty let the entire University of Kentucky women's team play with him at Augusta National just a couple of months ago.
Old 12-04-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Women play hundreds of rounds at augusta each year, just not as members.

Dave
Old 12-04-02, 02:55 PM
Retired

Who cares. It's the elite league, if a woman qualifies she should be allowed to play.

There's no rules against women playing in any major sport. They're just not physically able to compete at the leve required in the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA etc.

Golf is different, because it is a game not a sport. They're is no direct physical competition between athletes that directly affects the player's outcomes, which is a requirment I have for calling something a sport.

So if a woman can "beat the course" and score well enough to qualify, she deserves the chance to play, just like a male would have gotten if he'd shot a stroke better than her in the qualifying tournament.
Old 12-04-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by El Scorcho
"210 yard par 3... and Whaley RIPS a driver right at the hole.."

"Oh, she got all of that one! This one might roll up on the green!"

Old 12-04-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Goat3001
I agree with Das. No penis no play
Good thing the LPGA doesn't have this rule, otherwise it would exclude half of their current players.
Old 12-04-02, 04:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

You know there's a 13 year old girl in Hawaii whose goal is to beat Tiger Woods or something like that. She drives the ball 260. That's short for the PGA tour but hey, she's 13.
Old 12-04-02, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

... downhill in hurricane-force winds..

Hey can mickelson play on the LPGA tour? He has bigger tits than half the ladies.
Old 12-04-02, 08:27 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Since I don't follow golf (but I know about her because she's from Syracuse and been on local radio/tv), could someone tell me if her husband being general manager at the TPC at River Highlands, which happens to be the home of the Greater Hartford Open, would have any effect on her being able/allowed to play? She danced around the question when asked, but I didn't even understand why it was asked.
Old 12-04-02, 08:28 PM

It must be a real honor for this woman to be the first to play on the PGA tour because of PC pressure. At least she actually qualified (albeit from the ladies tees) and isn't just having the spot handed to her.

Last edited by sexy_overlord; 12-04-02 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-04-02, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, while I'm disgusted at the double standards we cling to in some false sense of honor, Whaley actually seems pretty down to Earth and understands the situation fairly well. She doesn't seem out to bust down "doors" in some grand "look how important I am" spectacle like many (read: Martha Burke). She qualified (albeit from the fake tees), and she's going to take advantage of that opportunity ... but she's not out to do anything else other than play well in a sport she loves. When this story first surfaced a few months ago, I respected that about her. It's certainly not her fault that the "rules" are whacked and we live in a society where women seem to celebrate systems that treat them as inferior (like LPGA vs. PGA). She played by the rules. She qualified. More power to her. I certainly don't fault her for the rest of our hypocrisy.

das

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.