Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Wow...Dodgers to deal Karros to Cubs

Old 12-03-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow...Dodgers to deal Karros to Cubs

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1203/1470692.html

Hundley headed back to L.A. in three-player deal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Dodgers will send first baseman Eric Karros and second baseman Mark Grudzielanek to the Chicago Cubs for catcher Todd Hundley, ESPN's Peter Gammons is reporting.

Grudzielanek and Karros have a combined $15.5 million remaining on their contracts for the coming season while Hundley is owed $15.5 million over two years, allowing the Dodgers free up some money for the future.

That money could go to either Cliff Floyd or Jeff Kent. Gammons reports that the Dodgers are interested in Floyd, a free agent who played for manager Jim Tracy in 1992. Floyd finished last season with the Boston Red Sox.

Kent, a former National League MVP, is a free agent after playing last season in San Francisco.

If the Dodgers don't get Kent, they could use their best Triple-A player at second -- Joe Thurston, who hit .334 for Las Vegas.
Old 12-03-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the move from the Dodgers stand point. Karros, Frudz, and Hundley are all basically overpaid stiffs. It's possible Karros or Hundley comes back with a decent season, but I wouldn't count on it. Basically it looks like it helps the Dodgers possibly add an actual good player like Floyd.
Old 12-03-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always been a Karros fan, but I completely understand that those patented slow starts of his are lasting longer and longer each year.

From my perspective, though, I have to believe that Floyd stays in Boston. The line-up is more attractive, the money will be there, and he has stated that if given what he wants, he'll even make the move to first. Besides choosing to test the waters, all overtures point to him re-signing. If the Dodgers can, however, secure him, the deal will have payed huge dividends, and I wouldn't want to be in Theo Epstein's shoes unless he can pull off something as big. If he puts all of his eggs in the Contreras basket and MLB has him enter the draft, and the Sox lose the Floyd sweepstakes, I'm sure all of those e-mails Epstein talks about will be even more colorful.

But if the Dodgers miss out on Floyd and get Kent, it still equals a good deal for them. They need to turn around and move Hundley to an AL team for a passable prospect, though.
Old 12-03-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn - someone actually took Hundley off the Cubs hands. I thought that day would never happen and even a few players instead of a resin bag. The Cubs do need a second baseman but Karros fits where? Is he traid bait in the near future?
Old 12-03-02, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Flashback
Damn - someone actually took Hundley off the Cubs hands. I thought that day would never happen and even a few players instead of a resin bag. The Cubs do need a second baseman but Karros fits where? Is he traid bait in the near future?
Didn't the Cubs let McGriff go? I think at the least they declined his option. Do they have someone else lined up at first besides Karros?
Old 12-03-02, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
What about Paul la duca(sp?). Why would they trade for a catcher????
Old 12-03-02, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Mad Dawg
Didn't the Cubs let McGriff go? I think at the least they declined his option. Do they have someone else lined up at first besides Karros?
Hee Seop Choi (sp?).
And this shocks the hell out of me because I thought the cubbies were ready to hand the job over to him.

He's got way too much talent to ride the bench, IMO.
Old 12-03-02, 07:46 PM

Well, I do agree that Karros was moving past his prime, and Grudz has never been a spectacular player. However, I'm no Hundley fan; six million for that punk? Amazing. He'll make an average back-up catcher, if the Dodgers are lucky. Now, perhaps there'll be enough money to get Kent or Floyd...
Old 12-03-02, 08:02 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by indianajdp
Hee Seop Choi (sp?).
And this shocks the hell out of me because I thought the cubbies were ready to hand the job over to him.

I don't now how much faith they have in him. I know they hyped him as the next great Cub but now they get Karros after considering signing Thome. I think they're going to make a move at Ivan Rodriguez now that they've dumped Hundley. He fits the Cub mold which is old, overpayed, and injury prone
Old 12-03-02, 08:32 PM

I still think they will turn Karros around and send him somewhere else, Grudzy, we're stuck with I believe, but anything to get [email protected] Todd Hundley out of town.
Old 12-03-02, 10:08 PM
Suspended

Wow, Karros is one of those players I always thought would start and end his career on the same team.
Old 12-03-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I heard on Chicago radio further possibles with the Cubs subsequently dealing with the Rockies and the Expos. They were talking about ending up with Denny Neagle, Jose Jimenez, Jose Vidro - and I think they said Grudzielanek would move on and they would give Farnsworth and I think more.
Old 12-03-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like they are making room for Ivan Rod.
Old 12-04-02, 12:15 AM

Dusty Baker loves his vets...
I think he has acquired 5 people since becoming the manager... the 5 average age is 33.
Old 12-04-02, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope to God the Cubs don't sign Pudge.

This was a good trade.
Old 12-04-02, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mad Dawg
As stated earlier - Choi was thought to be the everyday player at 1st base. McGriff is definitely gone. Does Karros play another position at all, like 3rd?

Pudge has been thrown around a lot here. If he is 100 percent healthy I would definitely chase after him but he will cost a pretty penny.
Old 12-04-02, 10:24 AM

I don't know. When I first heard about the trade, I was pretty happy to get Hundley off our hands. But then I heard that Karros and Grudzielanek will be owed more next year than Hundley would have been owed for the remainder of his contract. I'd rather have Karros and Grudzielanek than Hundley, but I don't know if they gained any financial leverage by letting Hundley go.
Old 12-04-02, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by SnoopDogg
Yikes. I hope not.
Old 12-04-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SnoopDogg
i doubt it. Karros and Grudz make plenty of money and they traded for Miller as well. But you never know...
Old 12-04-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by indianajdp
Hee Seop Choi (sp?).

I wouldn't consider Choi to be that big of a talent (not super-elite like Prior), and there's no guarantee that Karros plays anyways. If they keep Karros, He's at least insurance should Choi fall on his face. I'd expect Choi to be a decent player long-term, but how ready he is for next year remains to be seen.
Old 12-04-02, 12:45 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by MrX
He fits the Cub mold which is old, overpayed, and injury prone
Hey, don't knock on the Cubs.

BTW, if that's the Cub mold ... then all I need is to be overpaid and I could be a Cub.
Old 12-04-02, 12:46 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by Jericho
I wouldn't consider Choi to be that big of a talent (not super-elite like Prior), and there's no guarantee that Karros plays anyways. If they keep Karros, He's at least insurance should Choi fall on his face. I'd expect Choi to be a decent player long-term, but how ready he is for next year remains to be seen.
Yeah, Karros is a decent insurance for Choi. But I'm rooting for Choi to kick arse next year. Watching him, Wood, Prior, and a whole lotta young-ens (how's that for a Cubs mold?) should be fun next year.

Go Cubs!
Old 12-04-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
Wow, Karros is one of those players I always thought would start and end his career on the same team.

Talk of trading EK is a yearly ritual in L.A.

But now it rings a little more true since the salary issue looms larger this year.

As a Dodgers fan I say keep EK till he retires. Yes even if it hurts the team slightly for a year or two.
Old 12-04-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I met EK a few times while I was a student at USC (strange connection) but he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Obviously, a nice guy does not a great ballplayer make, but his numbers were decent enough and he would seem like a good clubhouse guy.

But the Cub has He Sop Choi and the MLB will tremble
Old 12-05-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JCJF10
As a Dodgers fan I say keep EK till he retires. Yes even if it hurts the team slightly for a year or two.
My thoughts exactly...At first when I heard this a week a go, I thought there was possibility of De Luca moving to first, but that doesn't seem right...I dunno, Hund's a bum, pitchers are all washed up, millions invested in those broken arms and a farm system that is dwindling...another year for Tracy to work his magic...oh, and when is Jordan gone?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.