Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Wow...Dodgers to deal Karros to Cubs

Old 12-05-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by KitchenSink
I heard on Chicago radio further possibles with the Cubs subsequently dealing with the Rockies and the Expos. They were talking about ending up with Denny Neagle, Jose Jimenez, Jose Vidro - and I think they said Grudzielanek would move on and they would give Farnsworth and I think more.
Yes, talk radio in Chicago started the rumor on this. But I get the feeling that this is just somebody's wet dream, because almost every subsequent trade is in the Cubs favor...

1) Cubs would trade Kyle Farnsworth, Bobby Hill, and Carlos Zambranos to the Expos for Javier Vasquez, Jose Vidro, and Fernando Tatis.

2) The Cubs would then turn around and package Tatis and Eric Karros to the Rockies for Denny Neagle and Jose Jimenez.

I seriously doubt if this would happen; but if it does, it would make the Cubs an instant contender!

PAL
Old 12-06-02, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One thing about this trade that's yet to be mentioned is that the Dodgers also get Chad Hermansen, and the Cubs get $2 million. Not that it really matters, but thems the facts.

I don't see Choi or Hill losing their spots as regular starters. Dusty Baker is simply strengthening his bench. Chris Stynes was recently released, so Grudzielanek will be the primary utility infielder after Mark Bellhorn is awarded the starting nod at third. Karros is insurance at first and a good bat off the bench.

The Cubs are completely sold on Choi. They only met with Thome out of respect at his request. They had absolutely no intention of pursuing Thome.

Choi's stats from the Arizona Fall League:

AVG - .345
G - 25
AB - 84
R - 19
H - 29
2B - 5
3B - 1
HR - 8
RBI - 17
BB - 17
SO - 24
SLG - .714
OBP - .456
E - 1

Simply put, the kid can play.

As far as Ivan Rodriguez is concerned, the Cubs are definitely interested but would probably be happy with Miller regularly behind the plate (great improvement over Hundley). If this does end up happening, it's just another insurance/good bat off the bench whether Rodriguez or Miller are calling pitches.

While the radio trade rumor is intriguing (Jimenez would be an improvement over Antonio Alfonseca, and Neagle would fit in nicely with Kerry Wood, Mark Prior and Matt Clement), I doubt the Cubs would be willing to part with Hill or Farnsworth. They love Hill, and Farnsworth could likely develop into a dominating closer one day. He's got great stuff.

Now the Cubbies just need to focus a little more on the bullpen. Signing Mike Remlinger was a good move, but more still needs to be done. The bullpen sucked donkey balls last year.

All in all, the Cubs are definitely headed in the right direction. Playoffs or not, next year will showcase vast improvements. The growth of Choi should be fun to watch, as well as the continued growth of Prior, Hill, and Cory Patterson. Moises Alou should rebound from his subpar 2002 season. Bellhorn's production should improve with regular playing time. Alex Gonzalez consistently puts up decent numbers. Hundley is thankfully gone. And Sammy Sosa is Sammy Sosa.
Old 12-06-02, 03:57 AM

Originally posted by gilbertr76

Choi's stats from the Arizona Fall League:

AVG - .345
G - 25
AB - 84
R - 19
H - 29
2B - 5
3B - 1
HR - 8
RBI - 17
BB - 17
SO - 24
SLG - .714
OBP - .456
E - 1

Simply put, the kid can play.
The Arizona Fall League REALLY lacked good pitching prospects this year. I wouldn't take stats from the AFL that seriously.

But Choi is still a good prospect.
Old 12-06-02, 01:09 PM

In my opinion, I think this was a good trade. Hundley was way overpaid for his very poor season. The Cubs got what they wanted in the long run, to get rid of a very large contract in Hundley. Also, they let go of Chris Stynes, their utility infielder and now have back-ups at 2nd and 1st. I still think Choi and Hill will be the starters after they have settled in next year. Plus, which do you think would be easier to trade away, Karros and Grudzielanek or Hundley. As for Hermanson, he wasn't doing much, he was just a back-up in the outfield. I think the Cubs will not pursue Pudge either, he is just another Hundley, going to be overpaid and not perform as he did in the past. They signed Miller and Bako so I think they are set at catcher and they have a prospect in Mahoney. The next move for the Cubs might be to find an additional utility outfielder even though they have Echevarria just in case. But their key concern right now is the bullpen and you can expect them to sign another big name player. The Cubs will also find another big name starter and hopefully will get rid of Alfonseca, he just sucks in my opinion. But, this is what I think may happen.