Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

It's Official - RC's Out

Old 12-02-02, 06:54 PM

It's Official - RC's Out

http://www.tamu.edu/press/021202rc-resign.html

The following is a statement from Texas A&M University’s Office of University Relations:

Texas A&M University President Robert M. Gates today asked R.C. Slocum to step down as head football coach and to assume the role of Special Advisor to the President. Dr. Gates observed, "Coach Slocum is one of the most respected and admired members of the Aggie family, and he has much still to offer the University he has served so long
with rare integrity and skill. He has always been a role model and mentor for student athletes and, more broadly, has been a tremendous asset to the University as a whole. I look forward to continuing to work with him to promote the interests of the University he loves so much - and look forward as well to his counsel and help on a wide range of challenges facing us."

The following is a statement from R. C. Slocum:

"It was with great sadness and disappointment that I learned today that I was being fired as the head football coach at Texas A&M. We had a season where we lost several close games that could have gone either way and no one was more disappointed than me with our record. However, we have some really outstanding young players and I felt our future was bright.

Although disappointed with Dr. Gates' decision, I do recognize that the university has the right to decide who coaches the team. I have spent 30 years of my life here and have deep feelings for Aggieland. I will cherish the memories of my many relationships over the years with the students and former students of this university. I especially will cherish the time that I spent with all of the wonderful young men in our program and with their families. I have been honored to be called coach by them, and to share in their lives. Also, I have great respect and genuine gratitude for all the outstanding coaches that I was privileged to work with during my time here.

We have quite a number of young men who have committed to come play at Texas A&M next season. Some recruiting services have them currently rated as the number one recruiting class in the country. I hope that these young men will honor their commitments and join the Aggie family. Texas A&M is a special place."
Old 12-02-02, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It doesn't come as a shock to me and I wish the man the best of luck outside of Aggie football. He has served Aggieland very well and I hope most others have a similar view of him.

Now the next question is who will be the new head coach? My guess is Dennis Franchione.
Old 12-02-02, 07:21 PM

He did serve Aggieland well for a long time. However, I'm ready for us to take it to the next level.

I hope Fran is a done deal. The next few weeks are critical for recruiting. Surely, RC wouldn't be fired without a replacement already on board.
Old 12-02-02, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

its 3 years late, but better late than never.

I like how anything involving A&M is automatically turned negative by the media:

http://espn.go.com/magazine/geno_index.html

We'll make it short and sweet: Texas A&M has Metamucil for brains for firing R.C. Slocum.

Yeah, the Aggies are 6-6 overall, 3-5 in the Big 12, and fresh off their third consecutive loss to Texas, a 50-20 thump job. They're 29-23 during the last four years. But 123 career victories and 14 years of loyalty should count for something. Plus, Slocum has one more conference championship than Texas' Mack Brown. And by the way, this is only Slocum's first losing season in league play since 1984.
Yes he is 123-47-2 but 23 came in the last 4 years. so 24 losses in 10 years followed by 23 losses in 4 years is acceptable? He won the Big12 in 1998 then signed a 7 year deal only turn around and double his number of losses in less than 5 years.

Yes he has won a bunch of confrence championships but all but one of them was in the old SWC against baylor and TCU. Is it even fair to count SWC championships the years after UT left?

If we are so crazy to drop him then I invite any other school to pick him up. I personally hope University of Houston picks him up. RC is a great recruiter and CUSA is much like the old SWC, I am from houston and would like to see them going to bowls again

Last edited by hypeiv; 12-02-02 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-02-02, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Word is that Slocum will be reassigned as Special Assistant to the President. I'm glad that he will stay here as he's a great asset to the university.
Old 12-02-02, 08:57 PM

I read that he was offered the position. Has he officially accepted?

Does anyone know what exactly the position entails?
Old 12-02-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by chays99
I read that he was offered the position. Has he officially accepted?

Does anyone know what exactly the position entails?
Don't know if he accepted, but I'm guessing he would be a liason to the big-money donors and just representing the school giving speaches, etc.

I also read that this gives A&M a way out of his contract. If RC decides to leave then he'll default on his contract. Otherwise A&M would have had to buy him out if the outright fired him.
Old 12-02-02, 09:28 PM

I also read that this gives A&M a way out of his contract. If RC decides to leave then he'll default on his contract. Otherwise A&M would have had to buy him out if the outright fired him.
I didn't think of that. Interesting.
Old 12-02-02, 09:47 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by hypeiv
I like how anything involving A&M is automatically turned negative by the media:
Agreed. We are definitely not the media darlings of the state... that position belongs to that ju-co in Austin.

I'm kinda ambivalent. Slocum's got a good record overall... I was surprised to see the stats ABC threw up for him during Friday's game. But your stats make the issue a lot clearer than just looking at his overall record.
Old 12-02-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

RC's overall winning records looks pretty darn good, but you have to remember that most of those years were in the SWC playing against the powerhouses of Rice, SMU, TCU, and Houston.

The Big 12 is a wee bit more competitve than the SWC and RC just wasn't able to get over the hump. Well, there was '98, but I don't think that was the norm.
Old 12-02-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BigDave
RC's overall winning records looks pretty darn good, but you have to remember that most of those years were in the SWC playing against the powerhouses of Rice, SMU, TCU, and Houston.

The Big 12 is a wee bit more competitve than the SWC and RC just wasn't able to get over the hump. Well, there was '98, but I don't think that was the norm.
RC is an old school coach, he was great in the big 12 till Brown and stoops showed up. The bar has been raised and the media thinks A&M should be content with RC. The media rags on Brown for not getting the National Championship and talks about how disappointing UT's season was, then turns around says A&M is being impataint by firing RC. As if 10-2 is not ok for UT but 6-6 is ok for lil ol A&M. In the past 2 seasons there have been 4+ big 12 teams in the top 25 at the end of the season and A&M was not one of them. But what school sets big 12 attendance records? its A&M so its not like we don't care about football.

That said its going to be very strange watching A&M under a new head coach. Ever since I remember watching A&M football its always been head coach RC Slocum.
Old 12-02-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
But your stats make the issue a lot clearer than just looking at his overall record.
Don't forget RC's bowl record... 4 - 7 and the most recent on was last year in the galleryfurniture.com bowl against TCU before that we had not won a bowl game since 1995.

last 4 years vs Texas Tech 1-3
last 4 years vs Texas 1-3
last 4 years vs OU 1-3

thats half of the south teams we cannot compete with, if we want to hang in the big 12 we need to be able to take care of these teams(that we play every year) more often than once every 4 years.
Old 12-02-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 12-02-02, 11:49 PM

Hire Bob Davie!
Old 12-03-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Applejack
why ?
Old 12-03-02, 12:22 AM

why ?
I'm an OU fan. This year notwithstanding, I would have loved to see Slocum at A&M forever.

Wonder if you guys will get Franchione? If so, the big 12 south is going to be the toughest division in football.
Old 12-03-02, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Applejack
I'm an OU fan. This year notwithstanding, I would have loved to see Slocum at A&M forever.

Wonder if you guys will get Franchione? If so, the big 12 south is going to be the toughest division in football.
well if A&M can get better... your SOS will sky rocket which means OU can play easy out of confrence and still easily win NC if they go undefeated or only have one loss.

I agree if A&M can get on the same radar screen as UT and OU the south champ will dominate what ever the north puts up every year in the b12 championship. For once in my life as an aggie football fan I am very optimistic about our future as a team.
Old 12-03-02, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

last 4 years vs Texas Tech 1-3
last 4 years vs Texas 1-3
last 4 years vs OU 1-3

I would bet that this has more to do with his firing than his overall record.
Old 12-03-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
I would bet that this has more to do with his firing than his overall record.
Bingo! His overall record is fine, but it's been pretty dismal as of late with the talent that is on this team.

If we get our man, the Big 12 South is going to be very interesting in years to come.
Old 12-03-02, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

who do you want to see at the helm BigDave?
Old 12-03-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bigsoos
who do you want to see at the helm BigDave?
Dennis Franchione would be nice and word around the campfire is that it is a done deal.

Pres. Gates wouldn't be firing RC without having someone already in line.
Old 12-03-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by BigDave
Dennis Franchione would be nice and word around the campfire is that it is a done deal.

Pres. Gates wouldn't be firing RC without having someone already in line.
wooohooo! fran is a great coach! take him from bama!!!
Old 12-03-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
wooohooo! fran is a great coach! take him from bama!!!
Worried that this year's Auburn win was a fluke?

Considering what the NCAA is doing to Alabama, it's going to be really hard coaching there.
Old 12-03-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RC is still a class act. I heard he told all the current players they should stay at A&M, and he called all the recruits that already commited and told them they should still come to A&M. I hope our next coach can keep the the same amount of integrity in our program.
Old 12-04-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Nebraska athletic director, Bill Bryne, has been named the new AD. The coach is next.

http://sports.tamu.edu/press/pressRelease.php?PRID=5697

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.