DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   Baseball Hall of Fame: Yay or Nay (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/254553-baseball-hall-fame-yay-nay.html)

LurkerDan 12-01-02 04:55 PM

Baseball Hall of Fame: Yay or Nay

I've listed all the people who I think deserve serious consideration. Who deserves to be in? You can vote for more than one.

Quake1028 12-01-02 05:04 PM

Murray, Sandberg, Carter and Mattingly. The last one more out of personal wishes than anything else.

zak52 12-01-02 05:12 PM

Eddie Murray for sure. He is possibly the best player of his era.

The Cow 12-01-02 05:17 PM

Murray and Sandberg I would vote for... Probably Gary Carter too.

(some good names on that list, might need a ranking thing for this one)

LurkerDan 12-01-02 05:32 PM

Originally posted by The Cow
Murray and Sandberg I would vote for... Probably Gary Carter too.

(some good names on that list, might need a ranking thing for this one)

Well, this is sort of like the real HOF vote, where we'll see total votes cast and see who got the requisite percentage.

I'd like to put a plug in for Gary Carter. His stats may not look great in this era, but he was one of the most feared hitters in the game, and was the best catcher in the league for quite some time. His numbers compare well to all the catchers currently in, although they aren't Piazza-like.

Bert Blyleven also deserves more love than he's gotten. Put that guy on a few better teams in his career (like Jack Morris had) and he's in for sure...

El Scorcho 12-01-02 05:37 PM

Murray, Smith, Sandberg

Pharoh 12-01-02 06:03 PM

Murray, Carter, Sandberg, & Blyleven.
That's the order I'd put them in as well.

djones6746 12-01-02 07:27 PM

Murray
Sandberg
Gossage
Mattingly
Carter

das Monkey 12-01-02 07:47 PM

Murray and Carter

das

Red Dog 12-01-02 08:27 PM

Eddie Murray is a no-brainer pick. I plan on being there to cheer him upon his induction.

As for the rest, I think Carter, Sutter, Blyleven, and Goose deserve to get in. I cannot fathom how Blyleven has not gotten more votes in previous elections.

Mattingly??? No way, no how.

Ranger02 12-01-02 10:00 PM

Alan Trammell, Eddie Murray, and Gary Carter.

Trammell is much more deserving than Sandberg. Sandberg was extremely overrated when in fact he only played HOF cailber balll for only 3-4 seasons.

I'd even pick Whitaker over Sandberg.
Not my words but...
"Ryno:
Peak RCAA: 45
Career RCAA: 195
GP: 1350
RCAA/150G: 21.67

Lou:
Peak RCAA: 40
Career RCAA: 274
GP: 1403
RCAA/150G: 29.29

Ryno was a better hitter than Lou at his best, but Lou was far more consistent. After 1980, Lou was a better than league average hitter every year until he retired while playing a premium defensive position. Ryno played way past his usefull years and was a great player only over the 89-92 time period. I'd take Lou over Ryno any day, but I don't get to vote."

LurkerDan 12-01-02 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
Eddie Murray is a no-brainer pick. I plan on being there to cheer him upon his induction.

As for the rest, I think Carter, Sutter, Blyleven, and Goose deserve to get in. I cannot fathom how Blyleven has not gotten more votes in previous elections.

Mattingly??? No way, no how.

That's pretty much EXACTLY how I feel on all accounts (especially about Donnie Baseball; great player in his prime, but not enough of a prime to warrant the HOF). However, I'm not sure where I stand on Sandberg, who you didn't include...

Red Dog 12-01-02 10:09 PM

Originally posted by LurkerDan
However, I'm not sure where I stand on Sandberg, who you didn't include...

I'm iffy on Sandberg and when you are talking about the HOF, if you feel iffy, you should vote nay.

slymer 12-01-02 10:22 PM

Isn't Lee Smith the all time save leader? I think he's got to be in the HOF.

Ranger02 12-01-02 10:23 PM

Originally posted by slymer
The all time leader of the all time meaningless stat.
Impressive.

Red Dog 12-01-02 10:28 PM

Originally posted by slymer

The 'save' is the most overrated stat is baseball. Now I vote Goose and Sutter in because they were 'stoppers.' I always believed that a 'stopper' was different than a 'closer.' The 'stopper' came on in the 7th inning (usually with men on base) and pitched 2+ inning to finish the game and EARN a save. The closer comes in at the start of the 9th with nobody on and finishes a game. Big deal. As such, the only relief pitcher that I would vote in from the late 80s on is Dennis Eckersley because of 2 reasons: 1) he was so utterly dominant as a reliever for a 5-6 year period and 2) he was also a very good starter early in his career (he was really the first guy to reinvent himself as a reliever mid-career).

edit to say that Mariano Rivera might also deserve consideration depending on his next few years (because of his post-season dominance).

Amadeus 12-01-02 10:45 PM

Gotta go with Eddie Murphy...i mean Eddie Murray, Mattingly and Carter.

Jericho 12-01-02 10:58 PM

Carter, Murray, and Smith would get votes from me. And I do feel the save is very overrated, but I'll make an exception.

Players like Blyleven, Sutter, Gossage, and Sandberg are close though, and deserve further inspection than just gut instincts.

People who vote for Don Mattingly though, I can't help you with that one

El Talon Del Monstruo 12-01-02 11:06 PM

Gary Carter
Eddie Murray
Lee Smith
Jim Rice! (for personal reasons)

and the veterans comittee will put in Ron Santo

Geofferson 12-01-02 11:17 PM

Sandberg
Murray
Mattingly

Ranger02 12-02-02 12:01 AM

Originally posted by Red Dog
edit to say that Mariano Rivera might also deserve consideration depending on his next few years (because of his post-season dominance).
Since there isn't a huge sample size to judge him on...

Game 7 of 2001 WS might have put the nail in the coffin. HOF are supposed to be as close to perfect as they can be and this was a huge one that he lost. The magnitude of this loss could really hurt his chances unless the Yankees makes it to 3 more WS and Game 7 in all of those series with the Yanks up in the 9th by one run.

LurkerDan 12-02-02 12:32 AM

So far, with 27 votes cast, only Eddie Murray would get in to the DVD Talk HOF.

Ranger02 12-02-02 01:41 AM

Why no love for Trammell? Tied with Sutter for the lowest vote totals...

B.A. 12-02-02 12:38 PM

imo, Eddie Murray is the only one on that list who should make it on his first ballot. Lee Smith will get in eventually.

LurkerDan 12-02-02 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Ranger02
Since there isn't a huge sample size to judge him on...

Game 7 of 2001 WS might have put the nail in the coffin. HOF are supposed to be as close to perfect as they can be and this was a huge one that he lost. The magnitude of this loss could really hurt his chances unless the Yankees makes it to 3 more WS and Game 7 in all of those series with the Yanks up in the 9th by one run.

I tried not to respond to this, but I can't help it. I have no opinion right now as to whether Rivera will deserve the HOF, but I think your statement is flat out wrong. First, I think most people (and certainly every article I've ever read) view Rivera's blown save as merely an aberration, a sign that he is indeed mortal. Yes, HOFers are supposed to be as close to perfect as they can be, but he has been! I challenge you to find any postseason relief pitcher in history who has performed as well as Rivera. One blown save after an insane number of successful difficult saves hardly destroys his run of success, or the image he has as the most automatic postseason reliever in history. Game 7 of the 2001 WS hardly put the "nail in the coffin" of his HOF chance.