Penn State @ Clemson 7:30 ESPN2
Maryland vs. Indiana 9:00 ESPN
North Carolina @ Illinois 9:30 ESPN2

Wednesday:
Georgia Tech @ Minnesota 7:00 ESPN
Northwestern @ NC State 7:30 ESPN2
Virginia @ Michigan State 9:00 ESPN
Wake Forest @ Wisconsin 9:30 ESPN2

The ACC won the first two years 5-4 and the third year 5-3. The Virgina/Michigan State game was cacelled in the second half last year because of the floor conditions.

I don't know why Duke always gets a home game for this matchup. The games actually in Greensboro so it's the same thing. They haven't had to go on the road yet.
Old 12-01-02, 03:45 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I think their is a NCAA rule that Duke is not allowed out of the eastern timezone. If I was a UNC team I'd be mad. When Duke had to play Illinois in the challange "on the road" the game was in Chicago, UNC has to go and play on campus at Illinois. As someone who has been to Illinois games at both places there is a huge difference.
Old 12-01-02, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maryland vs. Indiana sounds like it's going to be the only really good game.
Old 12-01-02, 07:14 PM

Go Bucky! Why can't we play Maryland again....those cames are usually good.

As far as Duke goes...I still think Coach K has signed a pact with the devil in order to get where they are.

Last edited by joe liquor; 12-01-02 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-01-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by tofu
Maryland vs. Indiana sounds like it's going to be the only really good game.
I think the only games that aren't good matchups are the Iowa/Florida State, Penn State/Clemson, and NC State/Northwestern. I'm not saying these won't be good games, but just not attractive matchups. I think the rest of the games are pretty good matchups.
Old 12-01-02, 07:19 PM

Re: ACC/Big 10 Challenge

Originally posted by zak52
I don't know why Duke always gets a home game for this matchup. The games actually in Greensboro so it's the same thing. They haven't had to go on the road yet.
We had a lengthy discussion about this very topic last year. As a matter of fact, I think I started the thread and named it something like "ACC-Big 10 Challenge is Bull****!!!"

Godforbid should Duke be forced to play in Champaign, Bloomington or Columbus. If Indiana has the balls to play in Chapel Hill then I think Duke can sack up and play a true road game as well. They're an elite program but they should be treated no different than any other school...and that goes for MSU in this series as well.

Now that my annual rant is over for this year I'll focus my attention on the IU-Maryland rematch. Indiana should win this game, but if Maryland gets our post players in foul trouble early it could make things very interesting. On the otherhand, if George Leach is healthy and plays smart, the country may get a close-up look at one of the best kept secrets in America

Last edited by indianajdp; 12-01-02 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-01-02, 07:23 PM

Re: Re: ACC/Big 10 Challenge

Originally posted by indianajdp
Indiana should win this game, but if Maryland gets our post players in foul trouble early it could make things very interesting. On the otherhand, if George Leach is haelthy and plays smart, the country may get a close-up look at one of the best kept secrets in America
Woah, Why do you feel Indiana should win this game. MD has one hell of a team this year.
Old 12-01-02, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by joe liquor
Go Bucky! Why can't we play Maryland again....those cames are usually good.

Are you referring to Ohio State? Just asking because I don't know the last time MD played them.
Old 12-01-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't Duke play Illinois in the United Center last year; or was that some other matchup that my brain is making up (wouldn't be the first one).
Old 12-01-02, 07:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: ACC/Big 10 Challenge

Woah, Why do you feel Indiana should win this game. MD has one hell of a team this year.
Main factor being experience. I think Maryland lost, what, 4 starters from last year's championship team?

Indiana has 3 starters back and is one of the quicker teams in the Big Ten. Guards galore ("Waves of guards") that can all shoot the three or take their man off the dribble. If not for the contributions of UNC's freshman class, freshman guards Bracey Wright and Marshall Strickland would be the toast of the country (and had Sean May chosen IU over UNC we'd be legitimate Final 4 contenders).

Taking nothing away from Maryland, I just see IU's strengths and the fact that they are playing in Indy as enough to carry them past Maryland.
Old 12-01-02, 07:38 PM

MD did lose 4 starters but are still starting 5 seniors so they have plenty of experience also. MD also has one of the best freshman class in the nation. It's really too early in their careers to say which team had the best recruiting class though. MD also has a lot of good guards. Steve Blake is probably one of the top 5 point guards in the country. Drew Nicholas is one of the best shooting guards in the country. There are also three other guards that get good playing time off the bench. MD also has good size in the middle with Taj Holden and Ryan Randle.

Last edited by zak52; 12-01-02 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-01-02, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by TheDude
Didn't Duke play Illinois in the United Center last year; or was that some other matchup that my brain is making up (wouldn't be the first one).
Illinois played at College Park last year in the ACC/Big 10 challenge. I'm not sure if Duke played them some other time though.
Old 12-01-02, 08:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ACC/Big 10 Challenge

Originally posted by PunkYou
One word: Guards.
Yeah and MD has two great ones.
Old 12-01-02, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: ACC/Big 10 Challenge

Look at Indiana's guards. They have too many good players that can shot from outside, and Maryland can't cover them playing their weak ACC defense.

Indiana is way better at defense, and will beat them with the outside shots.
Old 12-01-02, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ACC/Big 10 Challenge

Yeah and MD has two great ones.
...and Indiana has 4 great ones, 2 of them freshman.
Old 12-01-02, 08:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ACC/Big 10 Challenge

Look at Indiana's guards. They have too many good players that can shot from outside, and Maryland can't cover them playing their weak ACC defense.

Indiana is way better at defense, and will beat them with the outside shots.
weak ACC defense. We will see on Tuesday.
Old 12-01-02, 08:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ACC/Big 10 Challenge

...and Indiana has 4 great ones, 2 of them freshman.
I will edit my post by stating how can you consider a freshman great at this point of the year. But since you want to consider freshman great MD has four themselves.

Last edited by zak52; 12-01-02 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-01-02, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ACC/Big 10 Challenge

weak ACC defense. We will see on Tuesday.

Maybe against those fine top notch teams Maryland played to start the season....but against real teams Maryland will give up points.

Miami of Ohio, The Citadel, and Duquesne are not quality basketball programs.

IU has already beat UMass, UVA and Gonzaga this year (plus North Texas, but they don't count....much like the "tough" teams Maryland likes to play to pad its wins).
Old 12-01-02, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ACC/Big 10 Challenge

I will edit my post by stating how can you consider a freshman great at this point of the year. But since you want to consider freshman great MD has four themselves.

Easy, look at how Wright and Strickland have played against good teams so far for Indiana.
Old 12-01-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish the Pac-10 participated in something like this. Maybe a Pac-10/Big East challenge. Or a Pac-10/SEC challenge. I'd like to see us play more teams from the East Coast.
Old 12-01-02, 08:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ACC/Big 10 Challenge

Maybe against those fine top notch teams Maryland played to start the season....but against real teams Maryland will give up points.

Miami of Ohio, The Citadel, and Duquesne are not quality basketball programs.

IU has already beat UMass, UVA and Gonzaga this year (plus North Texas, but they don't count....much like the "tough" teams Maryland likes to play to pad its wins).
First off MD's played 3 games. The next two weeks they have Indiana, Notre Dame, either George Washington or Texas(chances are Texas), and Florida.

Yeah UMass and North Texas are real impressive. Indiana only led North Texas by 6 at the half. So we'll see who has a tougher schedule at the end of the year. I think we both know it will be MD.
Old 12-01-02, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Should be a great week. This is actually one of the rare times where I root for all of the ACC teams (except Duke of course ). It is all about RPI conference power ratings at this point in the season. Hopefully, the ACC will show their dominance once again.
Old 12-01-02, 08:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ACC/Big 10 Challenge

Easy, look at how Wright and Strickland have played against good teams so far for Indiana.
Strickland had 0 points against UMass, 15 against Virginia, 3 against Gonzaga and 6 against North Texas . Your right he is great.
Wright is doing better, but we'll see how well he does later in the year.
Old 12-01-02, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ACC/Big 10 Challenge

First off MD's played 3 games. The next two weeks they have Indiana, Notre Dame, either George Washington or Texas(chances are Texas), and Florida.

Yeah UMass and North Texas are real impressive. Indiana only led North Texas by 6 at the half. So we'll see who has a tougher schedule at the end of the year. I think we both know it will be MD.

Well Indiana beat North Texas by 26.

Oh yeah real tough schedule for Maryland, and MD Balitore Co (WTF is that? is that a community college? blind kids?), Wagner, Hampton...lots of great games. Looking at Maryland's schedule, I see 4 ranked teams all year. If you look at Indiana's you'll see 8.
Old 12-01-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ACC/Big 10 Challenge

Strickland had 0 points against UMass, 15 against Virginia, 3 against Gonzaga and 6 against North Texas . Your right he is great.
Wright is doing better, but we'll see how well he does later in the year.

It's not about the points, he didn't play in the UMass game.

If you watched the Virginia game, you could see his talent.

His points aren't that high because Indiana has so many great guards, he's not going to get the minutes.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.