Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Why were World Series ratings so low? (multiple choice allowed)
"Strike" backlash
21.67%
"Regional" series uninteresting to rest of US
60.00%
Games too late for Eastern US fans
28.33%
Yankees fans not showing up in droves to cheer for them
15.00%
Yankee haters not showing up in droves to cheer against them
8.33%
Games take too barking long
23.33%
More entertainment options (other channels, video games, etc.)
23.33%
Annoyance at McCarver/thunderstix/monkey too much to bear
13.33%
Other (please explain)
13.33%
More people chose to twikoff instead
8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Angels-Giants WS sets record ratings low - Why?

Old 10-29-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Angels-Giants WS sets record ratings low - Why?

The Angels' seven-game victory over the Giants averaged an 11.9 rating and 20 share, Nielsen Media Research said Monday.

That rating is 24 percent below Arizona's seven-game victory over the New York Yankees last year, which got a 15.7/25, and is 4 percent below the previous record, the Yankees' five-game win over the Mets in the 2000 Subway Series (12.4/21).

The World Series averaged only one-third the rating of the most recent Super Bowl (40.4/61) and was less than this year's NCAA basketball championship game between Maryland and Indiana (15.0/24) and Miami's national football championship-winning Rose Bowl victory over Nebraska (13.8).

Still, it was higher than this year's Daytona 500 (10.9/26), the NBA Finals (10.2) and the NHL's Stanley Cup finals (3.6/7).

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig did not return a telephone call seeking comment. His spokesman, Rich Levin, called the ratings drop part of a cycle that included an increase last season.

On Saturday, Fox Sports chairman David Hill said baseball's labor strife this year was partly responsible for the decrease.

''Once again, baseball managed to turn off its loyal fans,'' he said. ''I hoped it would pick up when we got to the postseason. It certainly hasn't been what I hoped it would be.

The rating is the percentage of TV households in the United States watching a broadcast, and each national point represents 1,055,000 homes. The share is the percentage watching a program among those households with televisions on at the time.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2002/...8/1452329.html
Old 10-29-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The regional issue was a big reason, I think. But also that baseball is spiralling down the tubes with football and basketball skyrocketing way past it (and that they have started/are starting now).
Old 10-29-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Definitely the Yankees fault. If there is any issues with baseball it is their fault.
Old 10-29-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's a combination of things, the regional issue being the biggest. I also think that there are better choices on TV, games were ending rather late for the east coast (though this isn't really that big of a deal, see monday night football), and a number of other factors.

Lastly, I think people plainly didn't care about an Angels-Giants matchup. I don't think it has anything to do with "strike backlash" since a strike was averted, and I really don't think it had anything to do with anybody being a Yankees fan.
Old 10-29-02, 12:05 PM

"Games take too barking long"

I had to put a checkmark in that one, just b/c it's so damn funny.

A regional world series between two wild cards on the west coast, coupled with lateness of games on the east coast, which wouldn't have been an issue had an east coast team been in it.
Old 10-29-02, 12:40 PM
Banned

Where's the "well its baseball duh" option?
Old 10-29-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

I think the Yankee factor, regionalization, and East Coast are the major reasons. The problem is that there is no way that FOX will ever start these games before 8 so baseball needs to come up with real solutions on how to shorten games - maybe sending every player a tape of how Barry Bonds never leaves the batter's box during an AB would help. However, FOX should begin their pregame show at 7:30 and start the games at 8 pm sharp.

There is no reason, without a rain delay, that a 9-inning game should go past midnight on the east coast.
Old 10-29-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Such is the world that is specialized pitching, where there are 4 or 5 pitching changes per squad in the last 3 innings.
Old 10-29-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by DarkElf

A regional world series between two wild cards on the west coast, coupled with lateness of games on the east coast, which wouldn't have been an issue had an east coast team been in it.

I don't agree - you can't just plug in any east coast team. The only east coast teams that would have made me tune in are the Yankees (because I love to hate them), Red Sox (for historical reasons), or Orioles (since they are my team). Had the Braves or Phillies made it, I wouldn't have cared about them anymore than the Giants or Angels.
Old 10-29-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the biggest reason is the Otter..

for reasons similar to the cleveland-florida series. These were the 2 wildcard teams, neither of which were expected to go that far, and people around the country probably thought they weren't the 2 best teams in baseball.. I also checked the regionality...
Old 10-29-02, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I also think that a lot of it has to do with the fact that there aren't as many all-around baseball fans left compared to fans of certain teams. I, being a baseball fan, will watch any world series with any two teams. There are many that aren't like this.
Old 10-29-02, 12:55 PM
razorbackfan

Younger people have a short attention span and want constant action. I'm old so I like baseball.

Old 10-29-02, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by razorbackfan
Younger people have a short attention span and want constant action. I'm old so I like baseball.

True but then again there must be a lot of young fans considering what we saw in that Greatest Moments top-10.
Old 10-29-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think there are a number of reason:

1. Regionalization
2. Baseball has lost many fans in the past decade due to the '94 strike and this year's near strike, perception of players being overpaid, etc.
3. For many youngsters, baseball isn't as exciting and fast-paced as other sports like basketball and football
4. Games are way too long
5. Neither the Angels nor the Giants have a huge following along the line of the Yankees or BoSox

Old 10-29-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why is it when a sports championship has only west coast teams the fans on the east coast tune out, but when it's an all east coast championship the west coast still tunes in?

Are west coast fans fans of the game more than east coast fans? (With east coast fans only interested if their team is involved?)

Just curious....
Old 10-29-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Games were 1) Too Late 2) Too Long 3) Baseball.
Old 10-29-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by B5Erik
Why is it when a sports championship has only west coast teams the fans on the east coast tune out, but when it's an all east coast championship the west coast still tunes in?

Are west coast fans fans of the game more than east coast fans? (With east coast fans only interested if their team is involved?)

Just curious....
\

A lot of East Coast fans will not tune in period (no matter who is involved) if they know that they can't stay awake until the end. There is no such worry for West Coast people. It has nothing to do with being a fan of the game.
Old 10-29-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Red Dog
\

A lot of East Coast fans will not tune in period (no matter who is involved) if they know that they can't stay awake until the end. There is no such worry for West Coast people. It has nothing to do with being a fan of the game.
I can see that.

I've always said that they start the games too late. Although, 8:00 isn't bad - the game's over by 11:30 or so.
Old 10-29-02, 01:37 PM
Banned

As a Yankee fan, I watched all seven games of the WS. I wanted to make sure the ALDS wasn't a fluke. It wasn't.

IF I hadn't watched, it would have been because of the Rally Monkey and the Thunderstix. The two most retarded things in all of sports.
Old 10-29-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Bust
As a Yankee fan, I watched all seven games of the WS. I wanted to make sure the ALDS wasn't a fluke. It wasn't.

IF I hadn't watched, it would have been because of the Rally Monkey and the Thunderstix. The two most retarded things in all of sports.
The Rally Monkey and Thundersticks may be lame - but they work!! Look at game 6 - the Angels were done, series over, and then there's the rally monkey. The Crowd goes nuts, the team gets fired up, and they make a near miraculous comeback.

The Angels seemed to feed of the crowd's enthusiasm, and the Thundersticks & Rally Monkey were a big part of that.

Lame? Yes. Effective? Definitely.

I'd watch just to see the team feed off of the crowd when the rally monkey came on the screen.
Old 10-29-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bust
The two most retarded things in all of sports.
I'd beg to differ, but Ryan Leaf is no longer in the NFL.

Old 10-29-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd go with a combo of Regional Interest and Late night TV.
Old 10-29-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lesterlong
Where's the "well its baseball duh" option?
exactly

The fanbase for MLB keeps slipping away more and more every year. I would argue that MLB has "jumped the shark". There is no other major league sport that focuses so much on it's past. The NFL, NHL, and NBA have their sights set on the now and the future of the sport. Baseball seems to be caught up in nostalgic dribble, and that gives off the perception that it cares more about where it has been, rather than where it is going.
Old 10-29-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Iron Chef
exactly

The fanbase for MLB keeps slipping away more and more every year. I would argue that MLB has "jumped the shark". There is no other major league sport that focuses so much on it's past. The NFL, NHL, and NBA have their sights set on the now and the future of the sport. Baseball seems to be caught up in nostalgic dribble, and that gives off the perception that it cares more about where it has been, rather than where it is going.

I would hardly put the NBA and NHL is the same league as the NFL. The NBA and NHL have just as many problems as MLB.

Baseball nostalgic? Why? Because they have a ridiculous Greatest Moment vote. It seems to me that MLB is trying copy every single facet of the NBA now (more playoff teams, expansion, long drawn out games, interleague play, incessant music during games, thundersticks, etc). Unfortunately, they failed to realize that the success and popularity of the NBA from the early 80s to the late 90s were due to 3 men not because the way the league was run.

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-29-02 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-29-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally, Spud Webb gets his credit he deserves from Red Dog!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.