Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Bengals guarantee a victory against Texans

Old 10-29-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CINCINNATI -- The NFL's worst team is going to win next week. Guaranteed.

Says who? The lowly Cincinnati Bengals themselves.

The league's only winless team is short on victories, but not on nerve. After a 30-24 loss to Tennessee, coach Dick LeBeau brashly predicted a victory next Sunday in Houston.

Given a chance to take it back a day later, LeBeau didn't back down.

"I think this team's going to start winning,'' LeBeau said Monday. "I think we played a hard game, a competitive game, and we did as much as the other team did. We just didn't win the game.

"I think the result will be different in the very near future. I'll make that prediction.''

Got that, Texans?

LeBeau was even more emphatic on the subject after Sunday's loss, which ended with a memorable Bengal blunder. Pulling guard Matt O'Dwyer tripped Corey Dillon inches short of the goal line with 68 seconds left, dropping the Bengals to 0-7 for the fourth time since 1991.

LeBeau sounded a little like Joe Namath as he summed up the game and looked ahead.

"I thought the team fought. We had every opportunity to win, and next week we will win,'' he said, delivering the last line with extra emotion.

Asked whether that amounted to a prediction, LeBeau said, "I believe this team is going to win.''

The bulletin-board material didn't end there. Informed of their coach's brash statements, his players backed him up.

"Next week, I assure you a win,'' receiver Chad Johnson said. "I guarantee you we will win.''

The Texans, as one might expect, were not thrilled with Johnson's comments.

"I don't think it's one player's job to come out and put a bounty out like that," Texans defensive tackle Gary Walker told the Cincinnati Enquirer on Monday. "They're struggling to get established, just like we are. We don't look like the expansion team.

"I don't even know the guy (Johnson). Obviously, if he's going to come out and make statements like that, he needs to show up on film a little more."

If the Bengals do win, it will be an upset. The expansion Texans have two more wins than the Bengals and are favored to get another one on their home field Sunday. Houston (2-5) beat Dallas to open the season and is coming off a 21-19 victory over Jacksonville.

Until LeBeau made his prediction, there was nothing special about their matchup. Now, the Texans have plenty of motivation -- the league's worst team is showing them no respect.

A loss by the Bengals would clinch a 12th straight season without a winning record. Cincinnati is 53-130 since 1991, the worst record in the NFL over that span.

Although LeBeau's prediction was unexpected, it wasn't uncharacteristic. Despite his 10-26 record as the Bengals coach, LeBeau has made some surprising remarks from time to time.

During training camp in 2001, he started referring to the upcoming "championship season.'' Cincinnati went 6-10.

During minicamp last May, LeBeau donned a Superman shirt and ran through a banner that said "Bengals Super Bowl 2002.''

When he announced Gus Frerotte as the starting quarterback during training camp, he looked over the crowded media room and said, "This will be the second-largest crowd we have in here, subject to the Monday after we clinch the playoffs.''

The players bought into his playoff talk in preseason. Seven losses later, they're compelled to back him on the first-win talk as well.

"I'm with him,'' Dillon said. "There's no other choice.''

linky

ummmmmm OK

Old 10-29-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Scoreless tie?
Old 10-29-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't care if they win or not as long as Corey Dillon can repeat his most recent performance.
Old 10-29-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a win-win situation for the Bengals.

Old 10-29-02, 12:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

I was considering picking up Johnson on one of my fantasy teams... until I saw this. With comments like that I suspect that the Texans D will make sure he has a very bad day.
Old 10-29-02, 12:49 PM

Looks like i've found my pick of the week!
Old 10-29-02, 01:02 PM
Banned

Is Michael Irvin the Bengals' advisor now?
Old 10-29-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know what? I think that LeBeau did the right thing in predicting a win.

I think Chad Johnson did the right thing in guaranteeing a win.

Normally it's a VERY bad idea, but in this case it may actually get the Bengals focused and fired up. The Bengals have a lot more talent than their record shows, they've just played like, like... The Bungles.

Get them focused, get them fired up, and they will win this game.

Let's face it, at 0-7 LeBeau has to do something to fire that team up. Predicting a win might just do that. The players can feed off of that confidence and enthusiasm.

Of course, this IS the Bengals that we're talking about, so they might still find a way to lose....

But I agree with LeBeau and Johnson making those predictions.
Old 10-29-02, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dead
I was considering picking up Johnson on one of my fantasy teams... until I saw this. With comments like that I suspect that the Texans D will make sure he has a very bad day.
I think you're giving a certain expansion team far too much credit. Unless you think they're gonna go headhunting, in that case, you should be ashamed. In a league that gives points for receptions (DVDTalk Real League hehe), Chad Johnson is a decent pick-up. He's Kitna's favorite receiver right now, and for good reason, he's got skills.
Old 10-29-02, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Even if they win, it won't change the HUGE organizational problems.

This game means nothing, except a chance for LeBeau to be fired if they lose, or coach another week if they win.
Old 10-29-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Bengals better not screw up the perfect record they have going!!!!
Old 10-29-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would love to see the Texans come in and beat them, even if only by one point. That would be hi-frickin-larious.
Old 10-29-02, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just hoping I can see some team go 0-16. Every year someone taunts me, but fails.
Old 10-29-02, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They can't use our Rally Monkey....
Old 10-30-02, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dead
thats what i hope for... just the kind of motivation the texan's need.
Old 10-30-02, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Bengals will lose!
Old 10-30-02, 08:50 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by planetaire
I think you're giving a certain expansion team far too much credit. Unless you think they're gonna go headhunting, in that case, you should be ashamed. In a league that gives points for receptions (DVDTalk Real League hehe), Chad Johnson is a decent pick-up. He's Kitna's favorite receiver right now, and for good reason, he's got skills.

Hey, they may be an expansion team, but so far they're better than the Bengals. I agree that Johnson has potential, but given that he has been running his mouth chances are good that the Texans D will be doing everything they can to shut him down.
Old 11-03-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wow

just wow
Old 11-03-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Iron Chef
wow

just wow
I was suprised too. AFC watch out!!!
Old 11-03-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
The Bengals will lose!
Crap.
Old 11-03-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let's see, was I the ONLY one on this thread that said that LeBeau and Johnson did the right thing, and that the Bengals would win?

Almost. There WAS some lukewarm support for the Bengals.

But, like I said, "Get them focused, get them fired up, and they will win this game."

Now, I wouldn't pull the predicting victory stunt every week, but it worked this time....
Old 11-03-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not surprised that the Benglas were able to win this one, but damn, I didn't expect the ass whoopin they put on the Texans. Must have been some major pent up aggression in those cats.
Old 11-03-02, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Live for the moment........

I think it is safe to predict a loss next week.
Old 11-14-02, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Johnson: 'No teams can stop us right now'

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasqu...n/1460876.html

Demonstrating that bravado certainly must be a part of the NFL gene pool, Cincinnati wide receiver Chad Johnson is at it again. For the second time in three weeks, he has publicly guaranteed a Bengals victory.