Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Well Ags...the inevitable question...Is it time?

Old 10-28-02, 09:13 AM

Well Ags...the inevitable question...Is it time?

From where I stood, it sure looked like we got blatantly out-coached.
5 things the coaching staff apparently overlooked or neglected to work on:

1. Nebraska runs
2. Nebraska runs the option
3. Tackling drills
4. The game usually consists of [B]4[B] quarters
5. Nebraska continues to run the option

Listening to the post-game, Slocum side-stepped all pertinent questions again.
The Neb coaching staff was wise enough to put 8 & 9 in the box and force us to throw in those wet conditions. It just begs the question.
I've been complaining to my wife for two days now. It looks like we're gonna lose 4 home games this year!

Hey Big Dave...at least we didn't get wet.
Old 10-28-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Somehow this loss leaves a worse taste in my mouth than the TxTech game did. When Long threw that interception in the endzone with 2 minutes to go, I pretty much got up and left. I couldn't take it anymore.

I'm not really anxious for the OU game because it's probably going to get ugly.

I like RC, but I really think it's time for him to move on and we need to bring someone in that'll get this program going again.

My dad asked me if I wanted to renew our tickets and this is just our first season. I still plan on donating and getting season tickets, but I sure hope the big dollar Ags are planning on getting something done for next year.
Old 10-28-02, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was there on the 2nd Deck in the student section! I agree w/ BigDave, as soon as I saw that INT I wanted to leave. Why didn't he just throw it to the sideline instead.? I really thought Slocum was going to bring in McNeal to shake things up.

All I can say is, "What in the hell happened to our run defense?!?" You would think that they would practice defending the option all week. Someone pointed out that Nebraska's #9, a wide receiver, never got thrown the ball and all he did was hold our cornerbacks during the option.

I can't believe Greg Porter got called for holding on the same play 2 times. At least he caught a TD pass. One of my g/f's friends is dating him. She was in front of us, she was jumping up and down everytime he was on the field.

I think the OU game will be ugly too. I think RC needs to move on.
Old 10-28-02, 05:16 PM

Tis pretty unbelievable that our receivers were called for holding, what 3 times, with no holding calls on the Neb. wideouts?????

Has there been any talk about RC taking over as an A.D. (hey there's an opening) so we can bring someone in to actually recruit? (Oh...and coach)

Seriously....Ricky Williams & Kliff Kingsbury both wanted to come to A&M, but neither were even visited. Reggie McNeal came here because of blood ties (and every other big school was inundated at the QB position already). Slocum has really lost that last tie that binds....recruiting. I bet we'll lose more recruits to Tech this year. What's left?

Did you guys see Long punch the ground after throwing the pick? He may not be able to play next week.

Thank God I got to see Larry Kelm again. Now I can faintly remember what tackling is suppose to look like.
Old 10-28-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hire Bob Davie
Old 10-28-02, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just gonna add:

Oh, and as I said before:

Old 10-28-02, 06:03 PM

Damnit, that's about the funniest thing I've seen in a while.
Old 10-29-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
I'm just gonna add:

Old 10-29-02, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by subbacultcha
I bet we'll lose more recruits to Tech this year
You can file this under "Things I never thought I would hear."
Old 10-29-02, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tech needs RC at A&M. Leave the poor man alone!!!!!!
Old 11-02-02, 02:28 PM

They look pretty bad against OSU.

28-14 at halftime....
Old 11-02-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-02-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^^^^^ Exactly!!!!

I can't stomach anymore of these losses.
Old 11-02-02, 05:07 PM

I just found the straw...and the camel.
Old 11-03-02, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

and the subsequent back breaking?
Old 11-06-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What does it take? Those GOB's that are keeping him around should be strung up and displayed in front of the Dixie Chicken.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/top....220d3cfb.html

A&M president voices 'full support' for Slocum
11/06/2002

By AL CARTER / The Dallas Morning News

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Embattled Texas A&M football coach R.C. Slocum got what may be a clearing block from school president Robert Gates on Wednesday in his bid to extend his record-setting tenure to the 2003 season.

In a statement, Gates said Slocum has his "full support" and that the job of evaluating him will be left to the school's new athletic director, who has yet to be named. A decision on a new athletic director isn't expected until late this year or early next year.

"While our football season to date has been disappointing, Texas A&M has a fine head coach, not only with an enviable long-term winning record, but also an admirable record in helping student-athletes succeed and in running a program with integrity," Gates said. "Coach Slocum has my full support."

The Aggies stand 5-4 this season and face a closing schedule that could spoil Slocum's record for avoiding losing seasons. A&M faces top-ranked Oklahoma at Kyle Field on Saturday and fourth-ranked Texas on Nov. 29 in Austin. In between, the Aggies face Missouri at home.

A&M is coming off back-to-back losses to Nebraska and Oklahoma State that have fanned discontent among fans and sparked predictions of Slocum's demise in the media.

"There have been a number of inquiries to me, from the media and elsewhere, about our football program," Gates said. "During this academic year, at my direction, Texas A&M University will review virtually every major program on campus in terms of performance, effectiveness and potential. Academic, administrative and athletic programs all will be addressed."

Gates' statement did not rule out the possibility that a new athletic director could make a decision to change coaches prior to the 2003 season. Still, A&M insiders view the statement of support as a strong sign that Slocum will return next season.

Gates said his intention is to have all of A&M's athletic programs "evaluated expeditiously by the new athletic director as soon as he or she is hired. It is my policy that the athletic director will make decisions with respect to the programs and the coaches under his or her purview."

Elevated to head coach after the 1988 season, Slocum has failed to post a winning record only once. In 1996, his team slipped to 6-6 in the first season of Big 12 competition.

His 14-year tenure matches the longest in A&M history. Slocum has won four conference championships, including the Big 12 title in 1998, and ranks as the winningest coach in school history. His teams have played in bowl games in 11 of his 13 seasons, including the past five.

The Aggies must win at least one of their last three games to qualify for bowl consideration. Even if the Aggies salvage a victory and finish at 6-6, there's a chance they may sit out the postseason. That could actually work in Slocum's favor.

Should A&M's season end with the Texas game, the school would likely still be weeks away from hiring an athletic director. Should the Aggies take a 6-6 record into postseason play, Slocum would be exposed to the possibility of his first losing season.

There is strong opposition within the A&M athletic department to accepting an invitation to the Humanitarian Bowl should the Aggies finish 6-6 and have no other bowl options. The Humanitarian Bowl, played in Boise, Idaho on Dec. 31, holds the lowest rank among eight Big 12 affiliated bowls.

A&M is in the process of replacing athletic director Wally Groff, who resigned in August at the request of Gates. Groff's resignation is effective Dec. 31, but school sources say the search process for his replacement is still in the early stages. Groff has agreed to remain on the job if a replacement isn't hired by the new year.

Gates, a former CIA director, took over the A&M presidency last summer, replacing Ray Bowen. Gates was not available for additional comment.

Three of A&M's losses this season have come at Kyle Field, once considered almost impregnable to Aggie opponents. A&M hasn't lost four games at Kyle Field since 1983 and has never lost five home games in one season.

Slocum will have three years remaining on his contract following this season. The value of his salary package is slightly more than $1 million per year.
Old 11-06-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's funny, but I apparently read that differently than you, Tobin.

I read it as "blah blah blah I have to say this because you called me and he is still here, but as soon as the AD announces anything I'll pull out my already prepared 'Thanks for Your Many Years of Wonderful Service RC, but This Change Should Spur Needed Improvement' speech".

It's a win-win for him. If RC stays, he needs to sound positive. If RC leaves, he can jump on the change bandwagon.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 11-06-02 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-06-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with Joe. Gates had to say something. Heck, there was a letter in the Batt today saying they would donate $1 million to hire a new head coach.

I know you don't want to hear this Tobin, but RC is gone after this season. No more losing to tu, OU, and TT.
Old 11-06-02, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BigDave
I know you don't want to hear this Tobin, but RC is gone after this season. No more losing to tu, OU, and TT.
I am willing to put big money on him staying through next season.
Old 11-07-02, 11:04 AM

Heck, there was a letter in the Batt today saying they would donate $1 million to hire a new head coach.
Really!!!! Wow. Anonymous I suppose?
Old 11-09-02, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great! RC saved his job!!!!!
Old 11-09-02, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
I am willing to put big money on him staying through next season.
check
Old 11-09-02, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
check
You shoulda put big money on A&M straight up against OU!
Old 11-09-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You shoulda put big money on A&M straight up against OU!
I took the points. I only won $450 in my parlay with NC State and Tech
Old 11-13-02, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great! RC saved his job!!!!!
Bitter Sweet

I got to witness Ags upset the number 1 team, and now I get to watch A&M suffer under RC for another year.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.