Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Should the NFL overtime rule be changed?

Old 10-27-02, 01:12 PM

Should the NFL overtime rule be changed?

After reading the Football Rules You Hate thread, I read an article about changing the NFL overtime rule because it has become unfair since the kickoff has been moved from the 35 yard line to the 30. Here are the statistics about the coin toss and who won the game.

Link to article

1974-1993 (Kickoff from 35-yard line)
Overtime games: 213
Won by team that won the coin toss: 99
Won by team that lost the coin toss: 101
Regular-season ties: 13

1994-2002 (Kickoff from 30-yard line)
Overtime games: 132
Won by team that won the coin toss: 80
Won by team that lost the coin toss: 50
Regular-season ties: 2
Old 10-27-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that rather than moving the kickoff line, the NFL should implement a NCAA-type overtime system where each team gets a chance, rather than having the game rest on a coin toss - where's the fairness in that?
Old 10-27-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, according to the pre-1993 stats the game did not rest on a coin toss.
Old 10-27-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The system should remain the way it is.

I've seen the college overtime system in person, and from a fans perspective at the game - it sucks!

Sudden death really shows which team wants it more.

Look at the pre-1993 stats - the team that LOST the coin toss won slightly more than half of those games. Are you telling me that five lousy yards wins the games that often for the receiving team? That doesn't say much for the other team's defense, does it?

Sudden death OT is a great system.

And, for the record, I don't think that college football should have an overtime at all - except maybe for bowl games.
Old 10-27-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The collegiate overtime system would throw everything out of whack in the NFL. All stats count for overtime games. It would throw over/unders out of whack in the betting world (A game that ends 14-14 in regulation could still end up something like 42-35). It would throw fantasy games out of whack (A QB could theoretically get 5-7 TDs in a game in the collegiate system). All types of long-standing offensive records could be put in jeopardy.

And so on..
Old 10-27-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by B5Erik

Look at the pre-1993 stats - the team that LOST the coin toss won slightly more than half of those games. Are you telling me that five lousy yards wins the games that often for the receiving team? That doesn't say much for the other team's defense, does it?
No, that's what the stats are telling you. As for not saying much about the other team's defense, when you're talking about over a hundred games you're essentially saying that virtually every team has a horrible defense.
Old 10-27-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It seems to me that the sample size of the population is too small to definitively conclude anything.
Old 10-27-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not saying that every team had a lousy defense - just the 30 more that lost the game than won the game when losing the coin toss.

Five yards shouldn't make THAT MUCH of a difference. I'm willing to bet that momentum going into overtime has more to do with it. Like the Raiders against that Patriots last year in the playoffs - the Raiders gave up once things didn't go their way at the end of regulation. They were lethargic and didn't put out much of an effort in overtime - and THAT is why they lost. That's just one example.

The system is fine. All it comes down to is which team plays better in OT.
Old 10-27-02, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Around 3.5% error for the first sample size, 4.5% for the second. I disagree.
Old 10-27-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I stand corrected then. I didn't bother with computations, I just tried eyeballing it. Apparently, I need glasses.
Old 10-27-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk God

in my opinion.. sudden death sucks
i dont really care for the ncaa system, but i think its better then what they nfl is using

i like the idea of each team getting a possession.. but not that they start at the same place..
at least kickoff to each team..
i know, the placement pretty much insures at least one team will score.. but hell, if they cant score after a kickoff, they dont deserve to win anyways.
Old 10-27-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DTSC
I stand corrected then. I didn't bother with computations, I just tried eyeballing it. Apparently, I need glasses.
Neither did I, I used a web based calculator. So I don't necessarily stand behind my results.
Old 10-27-02, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only system that I think would be better would be to have an additonal period. It wouldn't have to be 15 minutes, maybe only 10. But it would allow both teams a shot. still, I do like the current system. It may not be completely fair, but football itself isn't exactly fair. It's close enough for me though
Old 10-27-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DTSC
The collegiate overtime system would throw everything out of whack in the NFL. All stats count for overtime games. It would throw over/unders out of whack in the betting world (A game that ends 14-14 in regulation could still end up something like 42-35). It would throw fantasy games out of whack (A QB could theoretically get 5-7 TDs in a game in the collegiate system). All types of long-standing offensive records could be put in jeopardy.

And so on..
I don't think gambling and records should be taken into consideration when discussing NFL rules.

Old 10-27-02, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jericho
The only system that I think would be better would be to have an additonal period. It wouldn't have to be 15 minutes, maybe only 10. But it would allow both teams a shot. still, I do like the current system. It may not be completely fair, but football itself isn't exactly fair. It's close enough for me though
i pretty much said the exact same thing on the NFL rules you hate thread.

up until a couple years ago, soccer didn't have sudden death overtime. the game could be 0-0 after 90 minutes, then one team could score a goal. But the other team still had the rest of the overtime period to try and match.
Old 10-27-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that they should drop the ball into the stadium from a blimp and make the teams fight for the ball. Whoever comes up with the ball wins.

Did I mention that the ball is greased?
Old 10-27-02, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

YES. I was just thinking about that earlier today...

This what they should do, and also a scenerio...

They should have a coin toss and see who gets the ball.
Team A gets the ball.
Say, they score a TD.
Give the ball to Team B.
They have to score a TD or lose.
They don't.
Team A wins.

So basically, each team should get the ball once. That would be more fair.
Old 10-28-02, 09:38 AM

The team that wins the coin toss does not always win the game in OT on their first possession; I don't dispute that. The overtime rule is a bad rule IN PRINCIPLE because a coin toss does give an advantage. The coin toss no matter what anyone says plays a vital part in overtime, but the problem is that winning the toss of a coin has nothing to do with skill. It's luck of the draw. That in itself is unfair. I'm not saying the NFL should change to college overtime rules, but I don't like the current rule either.
Old 10-28-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I say to hell with it, if the game ends in a tie, it's a tie. College football screwed that all up with their OT gimmick, which I think is a pain. Not even God wants to see six overtimes.
Old 10-28-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

No
Old 10-28-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this article doesn't say how many of the 80 teams that won the toss (and the game) elected to kick the ball to start OT. am i to believe that all 80 times the winning team received? i would think that some teams with solid d's would choose to kick, hold the opponent to a 3 and out or maybe 1 first down, and then get the ball in excellent field possession.
Old 10-28-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Da Thrilla

Team A gets the ball.
Say, they score a TD.
Give the ball to Team B.
They don't.
Team A wins.

I agree with this. Of course the "gets the ball" part is via kickoff.
Old 10-28-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Da Thrilla

Team A gets the ball.
Say, they score a TD.
Give the ball to Team B.
They don't.
Team A wins.

Yes, but in that situation the team going 2nd has a huge advantage in that they know what they have to do. If the first team scored a TD, they will go for it on 4th down or whatever they need to do to tie. The first team won't do that (gof or it on 4th down). That doesn't exactly seem more fair either
Old 10-28-02, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Jericho
Yes, but in that situation the team going 2nd has a huge advantage in that they know what they have to do. If the first team scored a TD, they will go for it on 4th down or whatever they need to do to tie. The first team won't do that (gof or it on 4th down). That doesn't exactly seem more fair either

Exactly - it is the same advantage as going 2nd in college. Plus if each team is entitled to 1 possession, does it then go to sudden death with a coin flip? That is still unfair for the same reasons that people are complaining about now.

Leave it alone. If a D can't stop the opposition from going 40 or 50 yards downfield, they don't deserve to win anyway.
Old 11-01-02, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No. The way it is promotes better playing and a more urgent need for players too perform better. The coin toss just adds to the mental toughness of a team on either side. The NFL is already hampering the defense with all the rule changes. Just let them play, forchristsakes!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.