Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Should baseball change its World Series home field advantage policy?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-27-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think so. The current system is that the National League and American League alternate home field advantage in the Series every year. This is, in a matter of words, stupid.

I think the home field advantage should be based on the total number of wins for the two teams in the series. Granted, this would make no change in this year's World Series since the Angels had 99 wins to the Giants' 95 (I think). If two teams are tied with win totals, then you look at the head-to-head matchup in interleague play (if the two teams played). If the two teams didn't play, then you look at divisional records.

I think it's absolutely silly knowing that you can win 116 games (like the Mariners did last season) and make it all the way to the World Series and still not have home field advantage.
Old 10-27-02, 12:49 PM

Yes, it needs to be changed especially since a wild card team could get home field advantage over a division winner under the current system.
Old 10-27-02, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It should change. It should be based on their winning status.
Old 10-27-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Let's play it on a neutral field. To hell with the fans of the winners.
Old 10-27-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by D300
Yes, it needs to be changed especially since a wild card team could get home field advantage over a division winner under the current system.
Yes it should change, but not because a Wild Card Winner could get the home field advantage over a division winner. [hypothetically] Why would you penalize the Angels who won 99 games this year (4th best in the majors ( behind the Yanks, Braves & A's) just because they didn't win their division? If the Cardinals or D'Backs would have made it to the Fall Classic - should they be rewarded for winning their division? Is it the Angels fault that they were in a much harder division and had to make it to the playoffs a'la the Wild Card? I think not.

Oddly enough, I agree with DTSC that the team with the most wins should have home-field advantage. The only forseeable problem would be scheduling. In Anaheim, the team knew that if the Angels won the ALCS, regardless of who won the NLCS, we would have games 1, 2, 6 & 7 in Anaheim. Thus they could schedule events for the time period between games 2 & 6. But if the rules did change, it'd leave just a little bit more uncertainty to the playoff schedule...
Old 10-27-02, 01:51 PM

Re: Should baseball change its World Series home field advantage policy?

I've always liked the idea of having the winning league of the All-Star game getting home field advantage in the World Series. This would bring back relevance to the mid-summer's classic & give the teams a real incentive to try to win. It would also help to get the best players there & would serve to keep them playing in the games for longer than 3 innings.

Of course, on the other hand, if they were to do something like that, they'd have to revamp the player selection procedures to either eliminate the fan's vote or make it only one "vote" in the selection process. Otherwise, you get fan favorites starting at a position where there are clearly better players, hurting the league. Also, they would want to get rid of the stupid rule where each team has to send one player to the game.

If they could pull this off, it would base the World Series home field advantage on something besides the current system and it would make the All-Star game matter again.
Old 10-27-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the All-Star Game thing.

Doing the "most wins" thing is no more fair than rotating each year. They don't play in the same league. There's no comparison for that win/loss record.

das
Old 10-27-02, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Blake
Why would you penalize the Angels who won 99 games this year (4th best in the majors ( behind the Yanks, Braves & A's) just because they didn't win their division? If the Cardinals or D'Backs would have made it to the Fall Classic - should they be rewarded for winning their division? Is it the Angels fault that they were in a much harder division and had to make it to the playoffs a'la the Wild Card? I think not.
Because a wild card team is a 2nd place team, they lost their division. The Cards and D'Backs didn't play the same teams as the Angels, but they won their divisions and shouldn't lose home field advantage to a wild card team. I just don't think a wild card team deserves home field advantage over a 1st place division winner.
Old 10-27-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk God

i think they would have to get both leagues on one set of rules first

damn AL and their wussy rule
Old 10-28-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah - let's keep making MLB look like the NBA.

The current system is fine.
Old 10-28-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think every world series should be played at a neutral site (ala the Super Bowl), so therefore I nominate Wrigley Field. Cubs fans need to watch winning baseball in their lifetime at one point or another, don't they?

Every World Series should have Old Style on sale for the fans anyhow.
Old 10-28-02, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only forseeable problem would be scheduling. In Anaheim, the team knew that if the Angels won the ALCS, regardless of who won the NLCS, we would have games 1, 2, 6 & 7 in Anaheim. Thus they could schedule events for the time period between games 2 & 6. But if the rules did change, it'd leave just a little bit more uncertainty to the playoff schedule...
But what other events are held in a baseball stadium? Maybe the Rolling Stones every few years or so.

It should be best record. Even though they are not in the same league and do not play similar schedules, the team that was more dominant in their league should get the home field advantage. Even though this isn't perfect since they do play different teams, it makes a hell of a lot more sense than just rotating it every year for no reason. What is the reason behind this? Why does baseball do it?
Old 10-28-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
No! You guys lost, get over it.

jk

I think it's fair 1 year NL the next the AL. I do like the all star game idea that was posted earlier.

Last edited by damn_skippy; 10-28-02 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-28-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think a poll of sportswriters and coaches should choose.
Old 10-28-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What they need to do is change the scheduling format. Currently it's 2-3-2, which means the team that is supposed to have "home field" advantage is actually at a disadvantage after game 5.

The format should change to 2-2-1-1-1. It would probably spread out the series a bit, but only by a day or two.

Anyway, I also agree that the team with the better record should have home field advantage in the World Series.
Old 10-28-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by shizawn
What they need to do is change the scheduling format. Currently it's 2-3-2, which means the team that is supposed to have "home field" advantage is actually at a disadvantage after game 5.
Not really. If you do what you are supposed to do an protect home field, you are down 3-2 going back to your place. The Angels and the DBacks proved that is not such a bad thing.

I like the All-Star Game idea. I don't know if I am too crazy about the best record idea, being in different leagues and all.
Old 10-28-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

change it. although, my team won b/c of it last year.
Old 10-28-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Deftones17
change it. although, my team won b/c of it last year.
And mine this year. Well, that and the Giants SUCK.

mini
Old 10-28-02, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The All-Star idea makes absolutely no sense - it'd take all the fun out of the all-star game. Instead of being a showcase of talent, managers would play only certain people - rather than rotating pitchers and players at all positions. Plus, by having each team send at least one player, you don't truly have the best of the best out there on the field. On top of that, these guys are managed by the division winner from the previous year - a manager who did a great job, but still doesn't know how to manage a team full of players he's never coached. There are arguments on top of arguments as to why the All-Star game shouldn't determine home-field advantage for the World Series.

Either leave it the way it is, let the best record have it, or have a division winner host it over a wild card team (although this still doesn't make sense - suppose the Yankees & D'Backs made it again this year, both won their division - so what now? Go to wins - again, we're going to the fundamental determinant for post-season home-field advantage). The best record should host - plain and simple (if you even need to change it at all).
Old 10-28-02, 09:48 PM

The All-Star idea makes absolutely no sense -
A very common theme for points I make.

it'd take all the fun out of the all-star game.
As opposed to having it end in a tie?

Instead of being a showcase of talent, managers would play only certain people - rather than rotating pitchers and players at all positions.
I think that this previous All-Star game showed how this really isn't something the fans want. Or, to put it another way, I'd think that most people would rather see fewer guys play & actually have a winner than having everyone play & a tie.

Plus, by having each team send at least one player, you don't truly have the best of the best out there on the field.
Totally agree. But I did say that this rule would have to be removed. And I really think this is a stupid rule anyway.

On top of that, these guys are managed by the division winner from the previous year - a manager who did a great job, but still doesn't know how to manage a team full of players he's never coached.
Very valid point. Not to mention that the first time a manager leaves a pitcher (who is normally on another team) in the game for too long, it would cause tons of problems.

There are arguments on top of arguments as to why the All-Star game shouldn't determine home-field advantage for the World Series.
Sure... But I don't see how it's any worse than having it be based on the year where the World Series takes place.

Either leave it the way it is, let the best record have it, or have a division winner host it over a wild card team (although this still doesn't make sense - suppose the Yankees & D'Backs made it again this year, both won their division - so what now? Go to wins - again, we're going to the fundamental determinant for post-season home-field advantage). The best record should host - plain and simple (if you even need to change it at all).
I definitely think this is more fair to the teams. Doesn't leave you depending on other players within your league. However, after the debacle which was the 2002 All-Star game, I think that adding in an incentive like this would really help out...
Old 01-13-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Bud Selig once again proves how big of an idiot he can be. Please just go, Bud.
Old 01-13-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

While I like the concept in theory, it will be fun watching all the die hard fans of one team trying to sandbag the other league's roster with stupid votes. I can see it now: websites devoted to organizing voting for the worst players on the ballot.

I like bringing something interesting to the All Star Game, and I don't particularly like the home field rotation method, but if they want to do this, there need to be some substantial changes in both the All Star selection and management processes.

das
Old 01-13-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by das Monkey
While I like the concept in theory, it will be fun watching all the die hard fans of one team trying to sandbag the other league's roster with stupid votes. I can see it now: websites devoted to organizing voting for the worst players on the ballot.

Yep - Budinski seems to believe that fans will rise above such dirty tactics and continue to vote for the most deserving players (which they seem to have a problem doing as it stands now). Just goes to show how completely out of touch MLB is with their fans.

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-13-03 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-14-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a paying season ticket holder, I can honestly say that I will indeed be stuffing those American League ballots and voting for guys like Mike Cameron to represent the American League.
Old 01-16-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Idiot owners

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0116/1493857.html

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.