Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Can BC upset ND in 2002, like they did nine years ago?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-27-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In 1993, after a huge win against FSU, the Irish were thinking of a national championship. The following week, the Boston College Eagles came to South Bend and left with a victory that broke the hearts of the Irish fans.

In 2002, after a huge win against FSU, the Irish are thinking of a national championship. Next week, the Boston College Eagles come to South Bend. Can they break their hearts, once again?

Be prepared to see a lot of clips of the 1993 game winning field goal, aka "the kick heard 'round the world."

Although the Eagles gave away the game to Pitt yesterday, their only losses have come to two of the top teams in the country: Miami and VTech. Although the Miami game looked like a blowout according to the final score, BC still played them tough (so far, they're the only school to get under Dorsey's skin). the VTech game might have gone to BC, if it weren't for costly turnovers and missed field goals.

BC could go 1-11, but if they could spoil ND's hopes of a national championship, I'd be happy.
Old 10-27-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think it'll happen, mostly because Tyrone Willingham doesn't allow his team to look past ANY opponents. Trust me, I know from watching him coach at my rival school, Stanfurd...
Old 10-27-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Can BC upset ND in 2002, like they did nine years ago?

Quoth RoyalTea
In 2002, after a huge win against F$U, the Irish are thinking of a national championship.

Not true. The Irish are thinking about beating BC.

das
Old 10-27-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

no chance

if anyone is going to do it.. it will be usc at the end of the year
Old 10-27-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Re: Can BC upset ND in 2002, like they did nine years ago?

Originally posted by das Monkey
Quoth RoyalTea
In 2002, after a huge win against F$U, the Irish are thinking of a national championship.

Not true. The Irish are thinking about beating BC.

das
i really doubt this is true..
these are a bunch of 18-22 year old kids.. they realized they just cleared their last major hurdle. Ty may make us think that they are not looking ahead.. but you would he hard pressed to convince me that a single player on this team is not looking ahead for a chance at a championship.
Old 10-27-02, 03:16 PM

Oh man am I hoping BC upsets ND.

Beginning of the season I didn't think ND was THAT good.
Old 10-27-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Ranger02
Oh man am I hoping BC upsets ND.

Beginning of the season I didn't think ND was THAT good.
the voters still dont think they are THAT good.. undefeated and ranked #6..
nc state and bowling green are the only 2 undefeated teams ranked lower.. but those 2 teams are both behind teams with losses
Old 10-27-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: Can BC upset ND in 2002, like they did nine years ago?

Quoth twikoff
i really doubt this is true..
these are a bunch of 18-22 year old kids.. they realized they just cleared their last major hurdle. Ty may make us think that they are not looking ahead.. but you would he hard pressed to convince me that a single player on this team is not looking ahead for a chance at a championship.

This is Notre Dame. The team is made up of mostly juniors and seniors, and they're not only disciplined, but they want something more than a national championship ... respect. Considering what happened in 1993 and the fact that just about everyone is still undefeated, they're not in the position to look ahead. They're also not dominant enough to start looking ahead. They know each win is a struggle ... no gimmies. They wouldn't have their record if they didn't really understand the value of taking it one game at a time.

das
Old 10-27-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

are you really buying into that?
Old 10-27-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth twikoff
are you really buying into that?

They're not talented enough to have won all these games if they weren't buying into the discipline. The starters on this team have spent their careers hearing how Notre Dame is finished. You don't decide to go play at a school like that if you don't have pride. They're playing for respect, regardless of however you want to interpret it.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 10-27-02 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-27-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk God

They're not talented enough to have won all these games if they weren't buying into the discipline.

das
to believe these kids arent thinking about a championship now, would make them inhuman
Old 10-27-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth twikoff
to believe these kids arent thinking about a championship now, would make them inhuman

There's a difference between hoping for a championship and looking past an opponent. Anyone who's played on a championship sports team knows this.

das
Old 10-27-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk God

There's a difference between hoping for a championship and looking past an opponent. Anyone who's played on a championship sports team knows this.

das
and I have never heard of a group of kids that didnt look past any opponents

after beating fsu.. i think its safe to believe these kids are thinking about usc and possibly the fiesta
of course.. i dont think they have to really concentrate to beat the rest of the scrubs on their schedule, with the exception of usc
Old 10-27-02, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't be. And as a fan, I'm not. All I'm thinking about is beating BC. I hope the team leaders are doing the same thing. You're not going to accomplish **** if you don't beat BC, so that's all that matters today. I've played enough semi-professional ball to know this, and I'm not a starting senior for Notre Dame. They have to realize it even more than I, and if Willingham is anything of a coach, he's reminding them daily.

das
Old 10-27-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

if this was the case.. no team would ever overlook a lesser team
and there never would be any big upsets

but this has not been the case in the past, and I dont really see any reason to believe notre dame is any different
Old 10-27-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No team that is well-coached and disciplined. If you're not disciplined, you very surely could overlook an opponent.

You're saying, no one has the capacity to focus on the present.
I'm saying, if you're disciplined you can do it.

Considering the way they've played this season and the way they've won games, I believe this team to be more disciplined than most. Taking into account the interviews with coaches and players, and I believe they possess the capacity to not overlook opponents. Whether they do so or not is up to them, but they appear to realize the importance.

Speaking from experience, I've played on teams where we've overlooked someone and gotten lucky or even lost to bad teams. I've played on other teams where we knew how to focus on the "now" and take it one game at a time. It's always different.

But where you're suggesting no one can do it, I believe with the proper coaching and discipline it's not only possible but necessary.

das
Old 10-27-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think that ND will look past BC. Boston College has shown that they are very dangerous, playing tough games against Miami and Virginia Tech. They nearly beat pittsburgh yesterday, and pitt actually gave ND a tougher challenge than FSU or Air Force did (Pitt should definitely be ranked in my opinion--their defense looked incredible that game). However, as dangerous as BC is, there is no way that Notre Dame will look past them.

First of all, the last time ND had a season like this, they lost at home to BC to ruin it. BC isn't going to sneak up on them. Also, ND has a bit of a rivalry with BC now, after that game, and BC also beat us in 1999 and last year. BC is a game that ND looks forward to now. Furthermore, ND this year has shown that they find ways to win every game, even if the other team may have more talent. I think it's extremely unlikely that they'd then lose to a less talented team.

ND: 24 BC: 10
Old 10-27-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

speaking of which.. air force got beat by wyoming and isnt even ranked anymore
Old 10-27-02, 08:41 PM
Retired

BC's pretty tough. They certainly have a chance, but I wouldn't put money on it.

I think it will be fairly close, with ND winning by 14 or so.
Old 10-27-02, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have my doubts Boston College can beat Notre Dame this year.

Mostly because Tyrone Willingham has got a veteran team playing at a MUCH higher level. I see Notre Dame's biggest challenge is USC.
Old 10-28-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk God

ND feeds off turnovers. If BC can just hold on to the damn football, I give them a very good chance of pulling the upset. Unfortunately, I don't see BC winning the turnover battle.
Old 10-28-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Red Dog
ND feeds off turnovers. If BC can just hold on to the damn football, I give them a very good chance of pulling the upset. Unfortunately, I don't see BC winning the turnover battle.

Yep. They can do the same thing as Pitt. Keep it close, and take a shot.

das
Old 11-02-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BC's up 14-0 at the half. Notre Dame is turning the ball over like it's going out of style.
Old 11-02-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by 19K
BC's up 14-0 at the half. Notre Dame is turning the ball over like it's going out of style.
miami was down 17-14 at the half
and ended up winning 42-17

the big teams overcome slow starts like this and still end up with big wins
Old 11-02-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BC is a little bit better than Rutgers. And they've also beaten ND 2 out of the last 3.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.