Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Why do you think Shaq is an *******?

Old 10-27-02, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Why do you think Shaq is an *******?

Shaq Haters,

I keep reading on this board that Shaq is this and Shaq is that. Could you please enlighten me to why you Shaq haters do not like shaq or why you think he is an a-hole.

Please provide specific facts or instances on what he has done.

If you just don't like him please explain why.

Me I am completely biased because as most of you know I'm a Laker fan. Maybe it's the LA media but I just don't see why you haters think he is such an a-hole. Please enlighten me.
Old 10-27-02, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From what I gather, he's an ***hole because he called the Kings the queens and he thinks he's better than other teams (which, I guess he isn't - after winning three titles in a row ).
Old 10-27-02, 04:35 AM

1. Because he has to TELL us how good he is every chance he gets. Let your game speak for itself.

2. He cannot shoot a jump shot. How can he be the best if he doesn't have a complete game?

3. He cannot shoot free throws. Again, no complete game.

4. He doesn't work hard all of the time.

5. He's fat. He could be a better player if he lost the weight he says he's going to lose during every off season.

6. Doesn't he have about 3 or 4 children out of wedlock? I'm not sure of the number.

7. He has a big mouth.

8. Rap albums suck.

9. Movies suck.

10. He has a big mouth.

11. He has a big mouth.
Old 10-27-02, 05:04 AM
drc

Originally posted by Blake
From what I gather, he's an ***hole because he called the Kings the queens and he thinks he's better than other teams (which, I guess he isn't - after winning three titles in a row ).
Does this refer at all to me?

I don't know Shaq or Barry well enough to call either an ***hole. I never said Shaq was an ***hole. I never said I didn't like Shaq. The fact is I don't hate Shaq (DTSC may ). I don't have any problem with him.

Shaq, however, is arrogant. Barry is also arrogant. Both are arrogant because they are arguably the best at their respective sports. Arrogance by anyone (on my team or otherwise) doesn't particularly bother me.

I don't hold players from my favorite team(s) to a different standard than players from other teams. Perhaps, that's just me.
Old 10-27-02, 05:07 AM

Originally posted by crooksha

Shaq, however, is arrogant. Barry is also arrogant. Both are arrogant because they are arguably the best at their respective sports.
I really don't agree that Shaq is the best player in his sport--most dominating, yes. Without his size, his skills would not carry him to the top of his sport.
Old 10-27-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think hes an *******, but I do think hes an idiot because I can't understand a word that comes out of his mouth.

I know he does a lot of charity work around LA and I think in general he means well. Hes just like a big kid who doesn't know any better most of the time.
Old 10-27-02, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Charles: Agreed. He does speak like an 8 year-old

"Goddamn it Shaq! Pronounce your words!!"
Old 10-27-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i don't think that he is an [email protected]@hole so much as i think that he is overrated. for his size, it should be expected that he can pretty much run over anybody he wants to. although he is getting better, he has never been a very good free throw shooter. plus he doesn't have much range for shots outside of the paint. from what i have seen he just seems to get the pass in the paint and bull his way over people by using his size.
Old 10-27-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Actually I'm not a Shaq-Hater, either. Even though he's ripped the Pacers (w/ ORL and then LA) and then ripped the Sixers, it's hard to hate a guy for just those reasons. I get a kick out of listening to him talk because he usually says something pretty damn funny.

Anyway, my biggest beef with Shaq is his gameplay. He initiates a ton of contact with his moves (and is starting to master the Ewing Shuffle) and inevitably knocks players over with this contact. Yet it is he that complains that he's being fouled on these moves. Now, I guess my real beef is with the NBA officials for allowing the contact for so long, but for him to complain constantly about him getting fouled is asinine. Does he get fouled a lot...absolutely. But I believe he does just as much to initiate that contact and those things need to be addressed by officials. If a 7'+, 300lb+ monster lowers his shoulder into you there's not much you can do.

Jordan, Bird, Magic...they (for the most part) played the game and let their performance speak for them. With Shaq he'll score 40, grab 20 boards and piss and moan about being fouled for 20 minutes.

Last edited by indianajdp; 10-27-02 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-27-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

1.I actually think Shaq is funny as hell at times.

2.He is overrated IMO. Grossly overrated. Give me Tim Duncan any day of the week.
Old 10-27-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I think tboogie covered all my reasons.

Note, that most of my dislike for Shaq has to do with his attitude and "I'm-the-man" type comments during interviews/press conferences.

Barry may be arrogant, but you'll never catch him tooting his own horn with his mouth. Shaq, on the other hand, makes sure to do it as much as possible.
Old 10-27-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've never met Shaq, so I have no idea if he's an ******* or not. But I have to pick which players I'll cheer for and which I won't, and some criteria needs to be established. Typicall I root against cheaters, whiners, and posers. I don't like Stockton, because he plays dirty. I don't like Reggie, because he whines like a mofo. And I never liked McGuire, because I never felt he was being geniune with his "I'm so humble" act.

Shaq has enough of all three for me to dislike him. He should get called for a charge nearly every time he gets the ball in the paint, but he sells tickets, so the league ignores it. To compensate, the league lets everyone foul him when he gets the ball in the paint, creating an arbitary set of foul calls that never makes sense. It's a stupid situation that's not entirely his fault. What is his fault is when he whines about getting fouled. It's a semi-balanced system, Shaq. You commit about 40 fouls a game and get fouled about 40 times a game. You whine about the latter without acknowledging the former. I dislike that.

Leading us into the third criteria, he's king of the posers. He plays this "game" where he intentionally acts dumber than he is to create the illusion that he's really a sharp guy. More likely, though, he's probably really just a little less dumb. Either way, it's all a "look how important I am" act, and I don't like it. From the stupid movies to the stupid albums to the stupid "I'm the big Copernicus" sayings, it's a showcase of self-importance that makes me dislike him.

Some people apparently love all that crap, but not me. I've never met him, so I don't know if he's an ******* or not. But as an NBA personality, I dislike him.

das
Old 10-27-02, 02:12 PM

Well said, man!!

BTW, it's The Big Aristotle. What a jerk.
Old 10-27-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth tboogie
BTW, it's The Big Aristotle.

I call him the "Big Copernicus," because he thinks the world revolves around him.

das
Old 10-27-02, 02:48 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Quake1028
2.He is overrated IMO. Grossly overrated. Give me Tim Duncan any day of the week.
haha, you can have Mr. Duncan! I mean thats why he has so many more rings than Shaq
Old 10-27-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't believe that Tim Duncan has had the pleasure of having the best player in the NBA play along side him, has he?
Old 10-27-02, 02:55 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by DTSC
I don't believe that Tim Duncan has had the pleasure of having the best player in the NBA play along side him, has he?
Shaq may have Kobe, but Kobe and the Lakers dont win crap without the big man.
Old 10-27-02, 02:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

Remember the time he said he banged all those celebs but it was just his sarcams in a serious monotone voice, and nobody really knew if he was being serious or not?

What an ass.

I find it interesting the only people who like/stick up for Shaq are Laker fans.
Old 10-27-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by MJKTool
Shaq may have Kobe, but Kobe and the Lakers dont win crap without the big man.
Agreed, they need each other, just like Scottie and Michael did. But that's not the point I was getting at. The point is that Duncan has never had that kind of setup in San Antonio. Sure, he's had Robinson, but please -- Robinson is an overrated old man now.

If you could find a way to get a Kobe or a Payton or any other top 5 guard/forward on the Spurs with Duncan, I guarantee the Lakers would have a serious run for their money.
Old 10-27-02, 03:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

Yeah, uf you teamed Shaq with KG, the results would be great I think.
Old 10-27-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dont "hate" shaq.. but I think he is way overated. and is a much bigger jerk than Barry Bonds.

I don't think he is as good a basketball player as people make him out to be. He should be called for offensive fouls on half of his offensive moves. I admit he gets fouled a lot too, but the refs are doing a decent job of balancing the calls without making it sound like a whistle fest. I also think if he didn't just roll over defenders and could hit a free throw, he wouldn't get fouled as much. Plus he talks way too much trash to the media... I am for talking during the game because from experience that brings the intensity up a notch and can bring the best out of players.. but talking trash to the media is weak.

Just to show I am just not hating him for the reasons you all hate bonds, as much as I hate the lakers, I think Kobe will be (if not already) the best player in the league. Also, I used to like Orlando when shaq was there, but I didn't like shaq back then either.. I was a penny fan.

Edited to add: I was living in SoCal when shaq was with orlando, and if I remember correctly, the LA media didn't have friendly things to say about him when Orlando played Houston in the finals.
Old 10-27-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hated Shaq in the begininng when he shot his mouth off before the 1993 all star game about how he was better than David Robinson because he had a rap album, a movie and two broken backboards. Then Robinson proceeded to swat everyone of Shaq's attempted dunks into the 10th row.

What gave me more reason to hate him was when that marble mouthed buffoon was on stage at the Laker's championship parade said and I quote "Ah bah moah naohn bah moha ah ahoh ahuah AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!"

Old 10-27-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Captain Harlock
What gave me more reason to hate him was when that marble mouthed buffoon was on stage at the Laker's championship parade said and I quote "Ah bah moah naohn bah moha ah ahoh ahuah AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!"

das
Old 10-27-02, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because he's a guy that can't shoot base shots, and the only shots he can make are always at least two feet away from the rim. Gosh, those are one of the hardest shots he has to make!!!

He's nothing compared to Ewing, Robinson, Duncan, Hakeen O.
Old 10-27-02, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk God

because he plays for the lakers

actually.. because he gets by mostly on size and could be so much better.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.