Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

***GAME 6: World Series-Angels/Giants***

Old 10-27-02, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is Shaq a great 3-point shooter? Or any kind of shooter at all outside of 10 feet?

What about dribbling/ball-handling? Does he dominate there?

What slot in the top ten did Shaq rank in steals last year?

Shaq is dominant for a center. He is NOT dominant in every part of the game like you claim.

Barry is a dominant player. He is NOT dominant in every part of the game (i.e. fielding).

Funny, I don't seem to recall Barry Bonds ever disrespecting another TEAM like Shaq has (Sacramento Queens), either.

The point crooksha was trying to make is that you hate bonds for being an arrogant jerk/prick yet you praise Shaq, who is also an arrogant jerk/prick in his own right. That's how being a fan of a team goes. I'm sure if Bonds was on the Dodgers I'd think less of him as well.
Old 10-27-02, 03:01 AM
drc

Originally posted by Blake
P.S. - Barry is a great hitter - nothing more. Shaq is just dominant in every aspect of the game (even free-throw shooting when it matters).
Shaq may be the most dominant force in the game now or ever but he is certainly not dominant in every aspect of the game. Do you really trust him taking an outside shot?

I think I'll just heed damn_skippy's advice and let it go - unless of course someone can prove that Barry Bonds isn't a stuck-up, arrogant jerk.
Did I say he wasn't? In fact, I agree. I just find it ironic that you excuse the arrogance of Shaq while you hold it against Bonds.

"Sacramento Queens"

"They should pick 'em because they are the better team, ha ha ha ha," Shaq told the Sacramento Bee. "Write it just like that -- ha, ha, ha, ha."

Oh, how humble the big man is...
Old 10-27-02, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
The biggest difference between Shaq and Barry though is that Shaq is a team guy. He ALWAYS and i mean always sticks up for his teammates. Him and Kobe bitched at each other but Shaq is always there for them.

Barry is not a team player. He causes friction in the locker room. how many lockers does Barry have now anyway?

I created a shaq a-hole thread. Let's keep these threads on baseball and the world series.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=246386
Old 10-27-02, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Shaq is a better teammate..

Barry doesn't talk sh** about other teams/players/coaches during media interviews. He shows tact and respects other teams/players/coaches.

Looks like we're even after one round.
Old 10-27-02, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DTSC
The point crooksha was trying to make is that you hate bonds for being an arrogant jerk/prick yet you praise Shaq, who is also an arrogant jerk/prick in his own right. That's how being a fan of a team goes. I'm sure if Bonds was on the Dodgers I'd think less of him as well.
1/2 right - I hate Bonds for being an arrogant jerk/prick - I've never praised Shaq as a great person. He's dominant at center as you pointed out - the only thing you got wrong (3pt. shooting, 10 ft. shooting, etc.) is saying he doesn't have good hands - he makes some amazing passes and has quite possibly the best hands amongst big men.
Old 10-27-02, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by crooksha
"Sacramento Queens"

"They should pick 'em because they are the better team, ha ha ha ha," Shaq told the Sacramento Bee. "Write it just like that -- ha, ha, ha, ha."

Oh, how humble the big man is...
Yes - I'm a Lakers fan, so I'm biased in my views of Shaq and I enjoy the prodding he does of other teams - which it usually is - just prodding - light-hearted humor - I guess you have to be a Lakers fan to see enough highlights of Shaq and his comments to understand his sense of humor. But, you also have to take into account that he's got three rings in a row to back it up - Barry has none - perhaps if he were more of a team player, he'd have one by now.

Last edited by Blake; 10-27-02 at 04:06 AM.
Old 10-27-02, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally posted by damn_skippy
...just because there is so much else to do in socal...
That's funny. Doesn't seem to hurt the sports teams in NY. But then again, we have real fans up here.
Old 10-27-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gotta love those Angels - never count them out!

Last edited by B5Erik; 10-27-02 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-27-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The best part is that no matter what happens, I can sleep well knowing that I'm a fan of a team that doesn't support something as utterly gimmick-y and ridiculous as a "rally monkey".
Dude, you swing rubber chickens
Old 10-27-02, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mysterX
I never knew there are so so many sports analysts here when the Giants lose.
Actually, DTSC started it, he provoked us.
Old 10-27-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Originally posted by Bust
That's funny. Doesn't seem to hurt the sports teams in NY. But then again, we have real fans up here.
If that's what you call it.
Old 10-27-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Blake
perhaps if he were more of a team player, he'd have one by now.
I don't buy this at all. Bonds is one man out of 9 on a baseball diamond. He gets just as many opportunities to make a difference on a diamond as every other player on the field. He gets 4-5 at-bats, a few fielding chances per game, and that's it -- just like everyone else on the diamond.

Shaq, meanwhile, is one man out of 5 on a basketball court. A significant amount of chances -- either to setup a scoring chance or score himself -- comes his way every game.

To say that Barry's lack of a WS ring is due to him not being a "team player" is quite absurd when the real reasons for it are mostly him not being surrounded by a great supporting cast until the last 2 or 3 seasons.
Old 10-27-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't buy this at all. Bonds is one man out of 9 on a baseball diamond. He gets just as many opportunities to make a difference on a diamond as every other player on the field. He gets 4-5 at-bats, a few fielding chances per game, and that's it -- just like everyone else on the diamond.

Shaq, meanwhile, is one man out of 5 on a basketball court. A significant amount of chances -- either to setup a scoring chance or score himself -- comes his way every game.

To say that Barry's lack of a WS ring is due to him not being a "team player" is quite absurd when the real reasons for it are mostly him not being surrounded by a great supporting cast until the last 2 or 3 seasons.
Okay. Off from LA Times:

Reporters have written that he is "arrogant," "rude," and a "poster boy for the modern, spoiled athlete." Didn't you see him stroll, so self-centeredly, directly to his place on the baseline during pregame introductions before the first Series game in San Francisco? Didn't the rest of the Giant players slap hands and exchange words of encouragement with each of their teammates and coaches?

Bonds, it seems, goes his own way a lot. He doesn't eat with the team -- he has his own nutritionist and diet -- and doesn't stretch with the team -- he has his own routinue for that, too. His place in the Giants' clubhouse at Pacific Bell Park is more than twice the size of his teammates' none of whom has a leather recliner at their clubhouse.
Old 10-27-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What does that have to do with being a team player on the field? Absolutely nothing. Because it sounds to me like you're insinuating that Bonds would have had a world series ring by now if he would have gotten rid of the leather recliner and started eating with the team.
Old 10-27-02, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Being team player should be on and off field.
Old 10-27-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, most baseball players don't stretch as a team.. you see groups of 2 or 3 players stretching together.. but its nothing close to the team concepts you see in HS and college football.. in fact I have seen Barry stretching with teamates pregame.. as for his diet/nutritionist... that is part of his workout regime, which is one of the strictest in baseball. Jerry Rice and Michael Jordan also have their own nutritionists.. yes they are all hard workers...

if you have been in the locker rooms at pac bell park (I have), you will notice the configurations and how there are several 3 or 4 locker groups on the sides near the exits.. most stars get 2 spaces, including the road teams, and barry's happens to have a section made of 3 lockers... and the leather couch started as a joke with his team.. someone mentioned "I am surprised he doesn't have a leather couch", and he jokingly replied "Yah, why don't I?".. then the next week, unexpectidly a leather couch showed up without Barry knowing.
Old 10-28-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is Shaq a great 3-point shooter? Or any kind of shooter at all outside of 10 feet?

What about dribbling/ball-handling? Does he dominate there?

What slot in the top ten did Shaq rank in steals last year?

Shaq is dominant for a center. He is NOT dominant in every part of the game like you claim.

Barry is a dominant player. He is NOT dominant in every part of the game (i.e. fielding).

Funny, I don't seem to recall Barry Bonds ever disrespecting another TEAM like Shaq has (Sacramento Queens), either.

So strange that this would be the first WS post I saw on this fine Monday Morn.
Old 10-28-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow what an amazing comeback!

Unbelievable!

I didn't know if the Angel bats would ever come back to life.