Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Hypocrasy and MLB...???

Old 10-24-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hypocrasy and MLB...???

So what's your take on the Pete Rose participation in the ceremonies last evening. Seems like MLB is adamant about preventing Rose's participation in MLB events, unless a sponsors special night is involved (Greatest Moments this year and All-Century team previously).

Frankly, it makes me think that good ole' Bud is no better than Rose, schilling the game for bucks....???
Old 10-24-02, 03:35 PM

Do you think letting him appear in the festivities might be a gesture from MLB to heal the wounds and end this nonsense?
Old 10-24-02, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MLB? Hypocritcal? Naw...

As for "healing the wounds", Stephen, I don't think anything will change so long as Bud is in power. If there was some softening, they would have let him participate in the Reds reunion earlier in the season. Pete must admit he bet on baseball and apologize for it, things he will probably never do. Maybe a new commish would see things differently, but I doubt it... Nor should they, IMO, but that's another thread...
Old 10-24-02, 04:24 PM

Why doesn't Pete Rose just admit that he gambled on games? If he ever did such a thing, he would be able to participate in all of these various ceremonies that have been held in the past year (but also in future ceremonies). If he did this, he would also be casting aside the only deterrent that is preventing him from being elected into the hall-of-fame. Isn't the reason why baseball has not inducted him into the hall is because they want him to admit guilt?

Is Pete Rose so set in his ways that he is unwilling to admit wrong-doing for something that he is obviously guilty of? Is it just pride, or does he genuinenly believe that he is innocent of the charges that baseball has charged him with?
Old 10-24-02, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's a combination of stubborn pride and the human tendency to actually believe that a lie is true if you force yourself to do it long enough.
Old 10-24-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DTIT
I think it's a combination of stubborn pride and the human tendency to actually believe that a lie is true if you force yourself to do it long enough.
BottomBunk hit the nail on the head...
Old 10-24-02, 04:56 PM

My personally feeling on the matter is that Selig should allow Rose to participate in all associated baseball events or none of the events. Let's recap Selig's actions: He doesn't allow Rose to participate in a non-sponsored event (Reds reuninion) but does let him participate in two sponsored events (All-Century Team and Greatest Moments). Sounds like someone who is trading integrity and consistency for a few extra corporate bucks to me.
Old 10-24-02, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the preassure is relly getting to Bud over the Rose thing. My personal opinion is that he knows that the close call on the strike and the AllStar Game fiasco that he has lost quite a few fans. Perhaps there is a part of him that knows there's not another Cal Ripken streak or McGwire/Sosa race for 61 to bring the fans back, and that This Cinderella Series between the Angels and Giants isn't capturing the fans attention around the nation. So he may just be thinking about giving in and Letting Pete back in the game. If this were to happen I think the fans would come back somewhat. But I think it would still be a losing situation for Bud either way because if he stand on not letting him in the fans will still hate him and if he does let Rose in alot of fans, myself included, will say he is still a jackass and this is just something to boost popularity.

But thats just my opinion I could be wrong.
Old 10-24-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Until MLB gets themselves a commissioner, everything is about the CEO's who're in tight with MLB owners. Not conspiracy, fact as far as I can see.

As for Pete... he's really stupid, imho. Again, Rose City's Tiny Dancer said it best.
Old 10-24-02, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did the fans run away? That was supposed to happen if there was a strike, but there wasn't any strike. Baseball doesn't need another Ripken or mcGwire-Sosa.

And letting Rose back in will also piss some fans off, who see it as at least one area where baseball has retained some professional integrity.
Old 10-24-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's another thing to think about -- if Rose admits and does get into the hall of fame and gets back in to everything -- he would lose almost all of his limelight. He likes being in the spotlight all the time. We've been talking about this guy and the hall of fame for THIRTEEN YEARS now! After THIRTEEN YEARS he is still getting talk show interviews about the subject!
Old 10-24-02, 05:49 PM

Maybe it doesn't matter to him whether he gets into the hall today or 30 years from now. He can milk this controversy for all its worth now, and admit guilt at a later time so that he would ultimately be elected into the hall. (Is he shrewd enough to pull something like this off?)
Old 10-24-02, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

imo, the whole pete rose thing is so stupid.

we're talking about a man here who in the face of accusation decided to accept the plea bargain as set forth by mlb. he admits no wrongdoing, he is expelled from baseball. if he wanted to fight this out and truly believed that he was not gambling (even perhaps against his own team, which he managed), then, he shouldn't have accepted the terms and conditions way back when.

bottom line, you did the crime, you do the time.
Old 10-24-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by qbert
imo, the whole pete rose thing is so stupid.

we're talking about a man here who in the face of accusation decided to accept the plea bargain as set forth by mlb. he admits no wrongdoing, he is expelled from baseball. if he wanted to fight this out and truly believed that he was not gambling (even perhaps against his own team, which he managed), then, he shouldn't have accepted the terms and conditions way back when.

bottom line, you did the crime, you do the time.
Exactly!
Old 10-24-02, 09:08 PM

Jim Caple of ESPN wrote a succinct piece on this topic.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/caple_jim/1450200.html