Old 10-24-02, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

baseball's greatest moment?

here is the story from espn...
--------------------------------------

Ripken's moment tops Aaron's record-breaking HR
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press
SAN FRANCISCO -- Cal Ripken Jr. breaking Lou Gehrig's consecutive games streak was voted baseball's most memorable moment in fan balloting.

Thanks for the memories, guys. Pete Rose, Hank Aaron, Mark McGwire and Kirk Gibson line up behind Cal Ripken as he throws out the first pitch for Game 4.

The milestone by the Baltimore Orioles' shortstop in 1995 received 282,821 votes, out of more than 1.1 million cast. Many credit Ripken's feat with bringing many fans back to baseball following the 1994 players' strike.

"Mine was a heartfelt moment for many people,'' Ripken told The Associated Press. "I know that because they've told me. For me, it was a magical moment.''

Rounding out the top five memorable moments was Hank Aaron breaking Babe Ruth's all-time home run record in 1974 (275,451 votes); Jackie Robinson becoming the first black to play in major league baseball in 1947 (251,564 votes); the home run chase by Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa to beat Roger Maris' single-season home run record in 1998 (242,279 votes); Gehrig's farewell speech in Yankee Stadium in 1939 (237,131 votes).

The rest of the top 10 moments were Pete Rose breaking Ty Cobb's all-time career hits record in 1985 (230,852 votes); Ted Williams becoming the last player to hit above .400 in 1941 (203,982 votes); Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak in 1941 (176,810 votes); Kirk Gibson's pinch-hit home run in the bottom of the ninth inning to win Game 1 of the 1988 World Series (157,716 votes); and Nolan Ryan's seventh career no-hitter in 1991 (146,269 votes).

Major league baseball and MasterCard, which sponsored the balloting, announced the results before Game 4 of the World Series in San Francisco.

Not making the top 10 were two moments dear to Giants fans: Bobby Thomson's "Shot Heard 'Round the World'' in a 1951 playoff game to propel the New York Giants past Brooklyn into the World Series, and Willie Mays' over-the-shoulder catch in the 1954 World Series against Cleveland.

Mays was at Pacific Bell Park before Game 3 and recalled his play that robbed Vic Wertz at the Polo Grounds. Mays, however, added that he thought he'd made a few better plays in his career.

Also not making it were other famous World Series moments: Don Larsen's perfect game in 1956 against Brooklyn; Bill Mazeroski's home run to beat the Yankees in 1960; and Carlton Fisk's shot to win Game 6 of the 1975 Series against the Cincinnati Reds.

Voting took place in all 30 major league ballparks, on major league baseball's Web site, and from ballots in selected magazines and at participating advertisers.
------------------------------------------------------

am i the only one who think this is really idiotic? the other ones in the top 5 i can see but to not even have bobby thompson's home run in the top 10?!?
Old 10-24-02, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Overrated moment for an overrated player. Seems as though only 17 year olds voted in this stupid promotion.

Should have been either Aaron or Robinson. Larsen's no-hitter, the Thomson HR, Dimaggio's streak, and even Rose's hit record are head and shoulders above all of the rest.
Old 10-24-02, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think every moment on the ballot was more impressive than Ripken's streak.
Old 10-24-02, 09:22 AM
Mod Emeritus

Man, Reggies three World Series home runs on three pitches didn't even make the "seconds" list?!?
Old 10-24-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was listening to the sports station this morning, and they had me cracking up. They said "Nolan Ryan's 7th no-hitter was the best moment in Texas Rangers history, and it was great seeing it at the game last night. Before that, the greatest moment in Rangers history was Jim Sundburg driving in a run in the 1985 World Series as a member of the Royals."
Old 10-24-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Baseball's greatest moment: 1965 (I believe) - Sandy Koufax pitches a perfect game against the Cubs - wins 1-0 - Cub pitcher throws a one-hitter. The only time in baseball history that this has occurred.
Old 10-24-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the fact the fans were chanting "Barry!" while McGwire's moment was shown
Old 10-24-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

While I love the fact that I can say I was actually at the #1 historical moment (Cal's 2131), I don't think it should be #1.

I cannot believe that Bobby Thompson's Shot Heard Round the World did not make the top-10. That would have been #1 on my list because I not only remember the video of it, but the radio call is so memorable as well.

I also cannot believe Fisk's HR is not there either.

My top-5:
1. Bobby Thompson's HR
2. Fisk's HR
3. Aaron's HR
4. Cal's 2131
5. Ruth's Called Shot
Old 10-24-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by KitchenSink
Overrated moment for an overrated player.

Overrated moment? Yes.

Overrated player? Please.
Old 10-24-02, 11:15 AM
Stealth Moderator

Most of the people that voted saw Cal's game. I don't think too many of them saw Ruth or Aaron or Fisk or Thompson or Koufax play.

I wouldn't put Cal or Aaron in the top 10.
Old 10-24-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by namja
Most of the people that voted saw Cal's game. I don't think too many of them saw Ruth or Aaron or Fisk or Thompson or Koufax play.

Most of the people didn't see Jackie Robinson play either. Certainly a lot more saw Fisk and Aaron than Jackie Robinson.
Old 10-24-02, 11:29 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by Red Dog
Most of the people didn't see Jackie Robinson play either. Certainly a lot more saw Fisk and Aaron than Jackie Robinson.
True. And had people seen them in action, I'm sure they would have gotten a lot more votes.
Old 10-24-02, 11:57 AM
razorbackfan

Jackie Robinson becoming the first black to play in major league baseball in 1947.

Old 10-24-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a problem with these sorts of things in general, but this one seems particularly rediculous.

Cal Ripken's record was not a "moment." Joe's 56 game hit streak was not a "moment." These are "feats" in baseball, not moments.

So Cal breaking Lou Gehrig's record for consecutive games is a great feat, number one in fact, yet Gehrig setting the record is no big deal?
Old 10-24-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
[B]I have a problem with these sorts of things in general, but this one seems particularly rediculous.

Cal Ripken's record was not a "moment." Joe's 56 game hit streak was not a "moment." These are "feats" in baseball, not moments. [B]
I completely agree. Those were my thoughts last night.
Old 10-24-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I see a subtle difference btwn Cal and Mr. Coffee. Joe's streak did not have a culmination - I don't know what the previous record but that was not moment they designated as historical. Cal was different in that they specifically designated the record-breaking point - 2131. That was the culmination - the historical moment. They did not call it 2632 - while I remember where I was when Cal finally sat out a game, most people do not.
Old 10-24-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Think about it. Take away ESPN, the fifty billion sports-talk radio shows, and all the Fox sports shows, all the rerunning of moments and the famous radio calls. Then take away the corporate created hype that surrounds most any significant sports moment these days.

Then try and think what is the greatest "moment" based strictly on its effect and importance on the game of baseball.

Whaddaya get?
Old 10-24-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BoatDrinks
Think about it. Take away ESPN, the fifty billion sports-talk radio shows, and all the Fox sports shows, all the rerunning of moments and the famous radio calls. Then take away the corporate created hype that surrounds most any significant sports moment these days.

Then try and think what is the greatest "moment" based strictly on its effect and importance on the game of baseball.

Whaddaya get?
Exactly.

I have a lot of respect for Cal and that record, and I will always remember that evening, but I wouldn't put it in the top 20 of baseball's all0time greatest moments.

I could say the same for Dimaggio's streak, Rose's record, William's .406....and I could push many of the others pretty far down the list.
Old 10-24-02, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My #1 moment has been, and always will be, Jackie Robinson breaking into the bigs.

The reason being that his entrance into the league was a HUGE leap forward in times where racism was extremely prominent. What he did was great for the game but more importantly, it was great for society.

None of the other "moments" had such an effect.
Old 10-24-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DTIT
My #1 moment has been, and always will be, Jackie Robinson breaking into the bigs.
The wee ice man speaketh the truth!
Old 10-24-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by BoatDrinks
The wee ice man speaketh the truth!
Although, my first save in little league at the age of 12 should be at least #20. I struck out the side on 9 pitches!
Old 10-24-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DTIT
I struck out the side on 9 pitches!
It was the side of the snack bar, dude.

Doesn't count.
Old 10-24-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The greatest moment in NBA history is A.C. Green playing in 978 straight games.
Old 10-24-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The greatest moment in WNBA history is when the remaining time of the game reads 0:00
Old 10-24-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just think how many games Geeen could have played had he been in the WNBA.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.